The World's Literature: Jamaica discussion

Japan > Featured Books and Stories of Japan (Jan-May 2012 )

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asma (last edited Apr 11, 2012 06:58AM) (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments THE BOOKS AND STORY SELECTED BY VOTE AND COMMENTS FOR 2012 THE WORLD'S LITERATURE (JAN-MAY)

Haruki Murakami Months. Jan-Feb.
1Q84 and Murakami's shorter, earlier novels, After the Quake, Sputnik Sweetheart, and A Wild Sheep Chase

Natsume Soseki Month. March
Kokoro;
Botchan: A Modern Classic Goodreads Ebook;
Ten Nights' Dreams and/or The Heredity of Taste or the anthology Ten Nights Of Dream, Hearing Things, and The Heredity of Taste

Short Story Month. April
"The Saint of Mt. Koya" online here;
Tales of Moonlight And Rain: A Study And Translation by Anthony H. Chambers;
Cape: And Other Stories from the Japanese Ghetto and background about the Burakumin in Japan's Minorities: The Illusion of Homogeneity.

Yasunari Kawabata Month. May
Palm-of-the-Hand Stories;
Snow Country.

message 2: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 32 comments Looking forward to these selections! A good spread through time and genres...

message 3: by Asma (last edited Jan 07, 2012 09:35AM) (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments Haaze wrote: "Looking forward to these selections! A good spread through time and genres..."

Haaze, thks. The wonderful mix of books and stories of Japan comes from people's input from the December poll. Those will be the foundation for further readings. There are already several suggestions in the December Literary Calendar.

message 4: by Mikki (new)

Mikki | 89 comments This looks great, Asmah! Of course I zeroed in on April -- short story month. :)

message 5: by Asma (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments Mikki wrote: "This looks great, Asmah! Of course I zeroed in on April -- short story month. :)"

Mikki, we'll have to read what the stories are about and to find out whether they are warm and cozy or scary and mysterious.

message 6: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 35 comments Great :) I have a question , are we going to read all these books or there will be polls ?

message 7: by Asma (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments Nile daughter wrote: "Great :) I have a question , are we going to read all these books or there will be polls ?"

Yes, that is the schedule for Jan-May.

There will be polls to discover what you and other members would like to read in June-December.

I hope my answers clarify the confusion. Thks for your pointing it out.

message 8: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 35 comments Thanks ...yes ,crystal :)

message 9: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 32 comments Asmah,
Great idea to add Murakami's short stories and his first novel to this first tier of the Japan quarter! I will definitely join you in those. Will these have separate threads or do the comments go in under 1Q84?

message 10: by Asma (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments Haaze,
I intended to talk about those introductory stories and novel, to bring them into the discussion, with 1Q84.

Should time be available we can start threads for others he wrote: Kafka and the Shore, Norwegian Wood, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Of course, I'm for having threads on any Japanese literature on which people have something to say.

message 11: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 19 comments Would anyone be interested in doing manga side-reads? It's a significant part of modern Japanese culture and since the books are quick reads (about as time-intensive as a short story) we could use them to explore genres we wouldn't otherwise have time for.

message 12: by Asma (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments Sean wrote: "Would anyone be interested in doing manga side-reads? It's a significant part of modern Japanese culture and since the books are quick reads (about as time-intensive as a short story) we could use ..."

I'm for it.

message 13: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 32 comments Sean wrote: "Would anyone be interested in doing manga side-reads? It's a significant part of modern Japanese culture and since the books are quick reads (about as time-intensive as a short story) we could use ..."

Yes, that would be both fun and interesting!!!!

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara (LaraDyane) Sean wrote: "Would anyone be interested in doing manga side-reads? It's a significant part of modern Japanese culture and since the books are quick reads (about as time-intensive as a short story) we could use ..."

Definitely! Although it will only be feeding my addiction... :)

message 15: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 32 comments Great resource for manga:
http://www.mangareader.net/

I always enjoyed Claymore. Even though it is gory and brutal it has a lot of depth and heart within an excellent story line (looking beyond the gore).
http://www.mangareader.net/485/claymo...

message 16: by Lara (new)

Lara (LaraDyane) Haaze wrote: "Great resource for manga:
http://www.mangareader.net/

I always enjoyed Claymore. Even though it is gory and brutal it has a lot of depth and heart within an excellent story line (looking beyond th..."

A friend was telling me about that one the other day--I've been meaning to check that one out!

message 17: by Asma (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments I'm excited about the idea of manga, and Warnie B. is already a fan. Both the AnimeNewsNetwork from Sean and the Mangareader from Haaze are excellent resources for it.

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 19 comments For those who don't know a lot about manga, here are some publisher sites with lists of what they publish:

Vertical (tends towards more esoteric works)
Yen (Just check the authors as they publish many Korean, Chinese and even American comics in addition to manga)
Seven Seas (Under the "licenses" tab at the top)
Shojo Beat (female oriented titles)

We should try something by Osamu Tezuka, known as the God of Manga in Japan, and one of the Year 24 artists (though I think Keiko Takemiya and Moto Hagio are the only ones readily available in English).

message 19: by Asma (new)

Asma (wildbirdmom) | 3176 comments Sean wrote: "For those who don't know a lot about manga, here are some publisher sites with lists of what they publish:

Vertical (tends towards more esoteric works)
Yen (Just check the authors as they publish ..."

Extremely good, Sean. That you linked them makes it easier.

Lindu recommended manga by Tezuka, too, during the Japan/India/China/Australia poll--

"Osamu Tezuka,

Yoshihiro Tatsumi invented what he called gekiga, basically realism instead of the more whimsical manga,

Abandon the Old in Tokyo."

I found some Tezuka titles:
Astro Boy Volumes 1 & 2 ...
Black Jack Volume 1 ...
Phoenix, Volume 1: Dawn ...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kokoro (other topics)
Tales of Moonlight and Rain (other topics)
Snow Country (other topics)
The Cape and Other Stories from the Japanese Ghetto (other topics)
Ten Nights of Dream / Hearing Things / The Heredity of Taste (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Keiko Takemiya (other topics)
Moto Hagio (other topics)
Osamu Tezuka (other topics)