The Guttering Flame discussion

Crime Fiction Graphic Novels?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) I'm reading "Midnight Nation" by J. Michael Straczynski and love it. I also really liked the book "Fall" by Warren Ellis.

Anyone have suggestions for good crime fiction novels?

message 2: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Matt If you're looking for prose, I'd recommend James Ellroy's novels, esp. the LA Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential, White Jazz). It's really excellent stuff.

If you're looking for more comics, I'd highly recommend 100 Bullets, Sleeper, Criminal, Scalped, and Rex Mundi (which is a crime-horror fusion).

message 3: by J.G. Keely (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

J.G. Keely (Keely) | 15 comments Mod
I have little personal experience, but I know Road To Perdition is supposed to be good. Alan Moore's From Hell is also crime fiction, though not of the same time period.

message 4: by Sean (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) "100 Bullets" is excellent. If people out there haven't tried reading it, they should. "Road to Perdition" was much better than the movie, too.

message 5: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Jason I always recommend Stray Bullets but it seems like David Lapham has no intention of finishing the series. So, if you'd like to read half a story (and a very good half) check out Stray Bullets.

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillip's newest book, Criminal, is fantastic.

Some of Bendis' early crime fiction books were great. Jinx, Goldfish, and Torso, in particular.

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Alexandra (AlexandraKitty) Selina's Big Score is a pretty good crime noir story from DC. I like that it focuses on Selina Kyle rather than Catwoman.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (ImStoic) The Surrogates is along the crime fiction line. It's a good read in any case.

message 8: by Dean (new)

Dean | 1 comments I recently read Kickback by David Lloyd (artist on V For Vendetta) and enjoyed it very much. It has a similar feel to V which has a lot to do with his wonderful noir artwork.

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cjudge82) | 1 comments A brand new one that I just read was Parker: The Hunter by Darwyn Cooke. It's a graphic adaptation of a classic crime novel by Richard Stark, and it was fantastic, dark and gritty.

I've only read the first trade of 100 Bullets, but it was very good as well.