Audiobooks discussion

Truman
This topic is about Truman
Book Talk > The Most Expensive Audiobook

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=pd_rsp_...
Regular Price:$94.45
Member Price:$66.11 or 3 Credits
Sale Price:$55.73

I've looked at a lot of audiobooks, that's the first time I've ever seen a 3 credit book.

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 254 comments I like Harry Truman but not enough for 3 credits.

message 3: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) | 740 comments OMG it is only $14.99 as a kindle book. I would be reading that one for sure before listening to it as an audible.

message 4: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4096 comments I'd put in a purchase suggestion for my library to buy the CD's before I'd spend 3 credits.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 19 comments I've been buying Audible books for about 8 years (I have hundreds) and this is the first time I've seen 3 credits! One thing they have done is split the book up into sections and charged a credit per section but I don't think I've seen that for 3 sections!

Audio books on CD are very expensive - I'm not surprised that the publishers are catching on here. Sad - but not surprised.

Lynne | 10 comments I listened to this one on cassette from the library.

message 7: by bup (new) - rated it 4 stars

bup | 26 comments Nelson Runger is a fantastic reader, of course, but like others in this thread, I borrowed the audio book from the library.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice (TheGoodQueen) | 57 comments AudioBooks were always big bucks before Mp3. I think I paid 50 for one of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.
They were not cheap to rent either. Most of my AudioReads were library back in the day.

message 9: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4096 comments I used to rent cassettes by mail back in the day, Alice - they were as much as $15/book (including return postage).

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 254 comments John wrote: "I used to rent cassettes by mail back in the day, Alice - they were as much as $15/book (including return postage)."

I did that too John - in the 1990s.

message 11: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4096 comments Yeah, Recorded Books and Chivers (now BBC America).

message 12: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 254 comments I forget the name of the company, it was out of San Francisco.

message 13: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 303 comments A couple years ago Shogun was 3 credits on audible, but then sometime after they reduced it to 2. I had it on my wishlist for a long time, and eventually got it from the library.

message 14: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gael | 168 comments James Joyce's (unabridged) Ulysses is US$120.74 at Audible US.

message 15: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4521 comments I think it counts when they sneakily break a book up and charge for its parts. The Once and future King used to be sold in either three or five separate parts for one credit eache, even though it was published as one book. It was recently made available as one book though.
The Mistress of Magic is iither the title or one part of a batch of parts that are actutally one book that is still sold as, I think, five or six separate parts for one credit each. I'm still waiting for that one to be consolidated.

message 16: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4096 comments I believe that all books became one credit a while back?

message 17: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 303 comments Ancestral wrote: "James Joyce's (unabridged)
Ulysses
is US$120.74 at Audible US."

And yet it looks like you can get the kindle for .99 and then are eligible for the audiobook for only 3.99.

message 18: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4096 comments A hint: for books in the public domain, buying a free Kindle copy (rather than the one indicated in the Audible link) sometimes triggers as a Whispersync audio price.

message 19: by Gert (new)

Gert Ottenburgs | 1 comments This book is currently only 1 credit, very tempting

message 20: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grumpus | 867 comments It shows as 1 credit for me. As John said, I too, thought that all books are now 1 credit.

message 21: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4521 comments Audible has even taken their "All books only 1 credit" policy a step further... The complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes was previously sold in three separate volumes, but now they have a title that is all three volumes in one and costs only one credit. They did this earlier with The Once and future King, which had previously only been available as five separate titles.

message 22: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3445 comments Javasapien wrote: "A couple years ago Shogun was 3 credits on audible, but then sometime after they reduced it to 2. I had it on my wishlist for a long time, and eventually got it from the library."

I'm so glad they changed their policy to be 1 credit for all books. Up until that point, there were a lot of books (including Shogun) for which I just couldn't bring myself to spend 2 credits. Now I often target those larger books with my Audible credits.

And Shogun was most definitely worth a credit. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Joyce (other topics)