Page to Stage discussion

Musicals > The Woman in White

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) | 91 comments Mod
Discuss Wilkie Collins' novel and the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Jen, Feel free to post your thoughts about the book, even if you haven't seen the musical. Maybe someone else has. :)

message 3: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Alison Sarah--I almost bought this at B&N today. I had never heard of the book or the musical until you mentioned it. They have a beautiful hardback for like $7.95. Since Christmas is coming up, I decided to stick to buying gifts only. But the back sounded intriguing. I can't believe I've never heard of it. It sounds like a classic.

message 4: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Tiffany | 3 comments I have never heard of this one either. The musical or the book.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

We had tickets to this show a couple years ago but it closed before our trip to NYC.

message 6: by Dottie (last edited Jan 18, 2008 06:32PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Well -- I knew the book existed -- and I THINK I read it long, long, long ago though I'd have to reread it before I could say "boo" about it. I only know that The Moonstone was a book that just hooked me and that I am 99.44/100% sure I went on to read this one as well.

But -- I didn't even KNOW the musical existed.

See, what I learn hanging about here!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Well, the musical didn't run in the states for very long, so it could be why you didn't know there was one. I think only New Yorkers and die hard Broadway addicts knew about it.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Hi, I'm new here. I loved this musical. It is one of my favourite Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. I saw it in London and am sorry I did not get to see it in NYC also. I thought the score was fabulous.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Apr 05, 2008 06:47PM) (new)

Welcome, Jenna! Have you read the book?

message 10: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
I sort of read it (the nice tie-in edition with the musical's logo on it ). And I sort of watched the BBC film with Tara Fitzgerald. I have intended to go back to both and do more justice to both, but have not yet done so.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

I'd love to know how close the musical is to the book. ALW isn't known for being extremely faithful to source material.

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 7 comments i know you guys are going to think im a total idiot... ive never heard of the woman in white. can anyone messsage me a story synopsis?

message 13: by Alison (last edited Jun 18, 2008 05:15PM) (new)

Alison Victoria...try clicking on this...

The Woman in White

Hmmm...must remember to read that soon!

message 14: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
There are a few clips on Youtube -- the long "preview" clip is the best I've found. Maria Friedman was wonderful as Marian, and Edward Petheridge as Mr. Farley was amusing. I don't think Michael Ball was still in the cast when I saw it. I was sorry I only had a chance to see it once; I had intended to go see it again when it transferred to NYC but I never made it up.