Ratebeer Readers discussion

My son's first deer

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (acknud) He got this on opening day of gun season. We hadn't been in the stand for 30 minutes.

Ty's first deer

message 2: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments Hey, isn't this OT-L material :)

I've never hunted, and probably never will, but many in my family do, and I sure love venison...

To take it back to books, Faulkner and Hemingway both wrote some good stuff about hunting -- any modern writers that capture the spirit of it?

message 3: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Congrats to both of you. Tenderloin at your house tonight? Tell me what time and I'll raid the cellar for a couple of choice stouts. ;-)

Serioulsy, my second rifle was a 6mm Rem that my dad built for me at about the same age (judging form the picture). I never did get interested in rifle shooting even though he tried to plant the seed. Shotguns and upland game was all I ever wanted to do and the Rem lies cased under the bed I slept in as a kid in CO.

On the subject of contemporary writing about hunting, I can't think of any that come to mind at all. I can think of plenty who write about fishing, could probably find a few writing about wing shooting and hunting dogs, but I just don't recall reading anything about big-game hunting.

MJ might have come across some though.

message 4: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Not contemporary, but, perhaps "The Hunting of the Snark."

message 5: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments awesome. I love hunting of all types.

I was tailgating a dude in a truck this morning that had www.extremehoghunting.com painted on his tailgate.

message 6: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments depending on how old your son is (and his hunting experience), he's going to think all deer hunts are that easy from now on

man I've been on some bad hunting and fishing trips

message 7: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments www.extremehoghunting.com

Do you suppose he wrestles them with a knife held between his teeth?

message 8: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments possibly. I had a camp counselor from NZ when I was a kid that went hog hunting with knives, or so he claimed. Hog hunting is a blast. We hunt them from stands or with spotlights from the back of a truck, with assault rifles and pistols of course. That is some serious fun. You drive up on a stand at night at about 60 mph with two dudes standing up on the bed of the truck with assault rifles. ha. It's kind of hard to hit them at that speed though.

message 9: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments That sounds like a description of one of the bad hunting trips you mentioned.

message 10: by William (new)

William (acknud) He knows there are more empty trips than productive ones. I am going to my farm near the Ohio river this afternoon. I took off all this week to hunt.

message 11: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments Lucky bastard. Have fun.

I took off last friday to vomit for 24 hours straight (whilst sitting on the toilet). Man I love that. Just now ate my first full meal since thursday evening.

message 12: by William (new)

William (acknud) I'll post an acct. My Father in law was down there yesterday afternoon and had a field day on coyotes. I have way too many. They are running my deer and turkeys and generally making a nuisance of themselves. He got two.

message 13: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Now there's a memory.

I can't count how many winter mornings I spent face down in the snow or trying to hide behind a fence post while my dad blew a predator call.

message 14: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments I love the varmient call... freaks the dogs out.

I'm going duck hunting on the coast in January! Woot!

message 15: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments They're headed your way. It has turned cold here.

message 16: by William (last edited Nov 11, 2008 06:45AM) (new)

William (acknud) OK...I went this afternoon. I am in a ladder stand on top of a ridge about 1/4 mile from the Ohio river. I was looking down on a position where two other ridges meet forming a valley and a flat. This deer stepped into the flat about 80 yards away. I decided he was the one.

Deer 2008

message 17: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Wow.

The rack looks great.

message 18: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Humorous story:

A good friend had spotted a monster 12 point buck while he was bow hunting early season, but the deer never came within range during bow season.

When gun season opened, he let his sister use his stand as she had never taken a deer and he is of broadly generous nature. She took off work the first Monday of the season and was sitting in the stand with a .410. The deer appeared and walked directly under her.

She fired six times before the deer went down only hitting it twice. She was reloading single slugs into the pea-shooter because she didn't know that she could put more than one shell in the gun at a time.

Mickey has been sober for about ten years now and the deer is mounted and hangs at his sister's house.