Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Front Parlor > Goals for 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah Louise (last edited Jun 17, 2012 10:39PM) (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Alright, lets hear it! What are your reading goals for 2012?
I recently just finished my goodreads quota for 2011. 30 books done, which i'm pretty happy about.
I think my biggest goal would be getting my PGH (pages per hour) up. Because lets be honest, faster reading means I get to enjoy more books!!
For next year i'm going to boost my quota up to 40.
edit: I forgot about reviews! I totally want to do more reviewing this year, as this past year I wrote maybe...10? I wish goodreads had personal blogs you could put them in.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3860 comments My goal was 100 books in 2011 but I don't think I will make that goal so I will keep mine the same. I am up to 87 books this year which is 25 more books this year than last.

message 3: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) 1. I want to review more of what I read, because I've been reviewing a relatively small percentage of books I finish.

2. I am at 69 of my 70-book goal this year so far, so I will probably raise my goal to 75 for 2012 in order to push myself a bit.

3. I want to read as many books as possible from my 2012 Resolutions shelf - books I've had on my TBR for years and never seem to get around to.

4. I want to re-read and review the handful of books on my Review Projects shelf - a small handful of books I loved but for whatever reason did not review (read pre-Goodreads or long ago, didn't have time when I read them, etc.) yet feel I should review or which are under-appreciated and need more reviews.

5. I want to revitalize and do a better job of keeping up with my review blog.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (RockStarNinja) | 218 comments My goal for 2011 was 30 and so far I'm at 42, so I'm definitely going to try for more. I think my goal for 2012 is going to be 60 books.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (ReadingwithMargaret) | 465 comments My goals (yes it does sound crazy), but I will not spend any cash on books. I have so many books at home, plus on my kindle that I figured I would save some cash this year. I checked out what is coming out in 2012 and pre-ordered some.

Lets see if I can do this, with the amount I have spend this month on books in preparation I have no need to buy any books...but will I be able to for 365 days, we'll see.

message 6: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3043 comments I have a few goals too. They are:

1. Reduce my goal to 85. My goal this year is 100, which I'm pretty sure I will make since I just need 4 more. However, I've been feeling pressure to just read or grab shorter books so that I can make my goal. Next year I would like to add some more chunkies onto my pile without the guilt or feeling like I need to listen to an audio to compensate for the time it's taking me to read bigger books.

2. Review more. I don't have a set goal for this. One year I tried to review every book I read, but that was major failure. This year I've only rated and wrote review to 2 books this December just to start getting myself into the flow of reviewing. So we'll see how this one goes. lol

3. Reduce my TBR that I own. I'm doing a challenge with members of another group for this one. My goal is to read 5 books before I can bring another in the house. I might reduce it a bit...maybe to like 3 and then use those "credits" for when I go to a library sale since I barely buy at bookstores.

message 7: by Gayle (last edited Dec 15, 2011 07:35AM) (new)

Gayle (GretaRahikkainen) I have a few goals for myself for this year

1 - Since I did not reach my goal of 50 books for this year, I'm going to try for that again. I think I'm currently at 42, but I don't tend to read short books, most of mine are lengthy AND I'm just not a fast reader any more. (Besides, I have way too many other irons in the fires and most days the only time I find time to read is before bed.)

2 - Increase page count.....page count so far this year is a little over 16,500. I think I'll shoot for 20,000 pages for 2012.

3 - Read at least 4 non-fiction books this year, which would be one each quarter of the year. I don't read a lot of non-fiction books and have been coming across a few while at work that I think would be interesting. (I work in a library processing in new books.)

4 - Seriously decrease my TBR shelves! I'm thinking something like for every 1 library book I read, I need to read at least 3 or 4 from my TBR shelves. This one is gonna be hard!!! (My current TBR shelves contain well over 100 books.)

5 - Read at least 4 books from my TBR shelves before putting a new to me book on those shelves. (Gonna be another hard one!)

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (TinaBoscha) | 21 comments So many of you are setting a goal to review more, and can I just say as an author that I support that? :-)

For me I want to vary the kinds of historical novels I read. I read a lot in many genres but tend to be attracted to WWII more than anything else (the era my parents grew up in, what I wrote about, etc.) I want to challenge myself to go into antiquity or a time I know nothing about, or perhaps a setting that is very unfamiliar.

I also want to be more present on GR with TBR shelves, etc., but man there is a LOT of social media to manage these days!

message 9: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Good Luck to all of you!

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Fiction goal: 100 books
Non-fiction: 50 books (this one should be easy because I'm doing a LOT of historical research).

Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) (Darkpool) | 37 comments I'm scrabbling to make my 2011 goal of 85 books, and like Jackie have found myself going for shorter books in order to try and meet my goal. in 2012 not only am I lowering my target, but aiming for 10 'chunksters'. I don't have a fixed idea of what constitutes a chunkster, but feel confident I'll recognise one when I see it!

message 12: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Well I have a few reading goals:

1. I would like to review more....I rarely write a review as I feel I am not that good at it.

2. My reading goal is 50 books for 2012.

3. I have a huge TBR list and I really want to tackle this as well. I would also like to use the library more and only buy those books which I really really want.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Here are my 2012 reading goals:

1. Read 60 books.

2. I do review most of the books I've read (at least, the ones I've read since being active in Goodreads) so I want to try to continue reviewing each book I read.

3. I want to take my time and read more meaningfully. I have a tendency to read very quickly so I can fit more into my schedule, but next year I want to slow down and "smell the flowers" so to speak.

4. I'm going to try my best to read each monthly pick for this group and participate more in the discussion.

5. I'm going to trim down my tbr list. I have a tendency to just add things that look even remotely interesting so I won't forget about them, but I have way too many books on my tbr that I probably won't ever actually read. So I'm cleaning up my tbr list and hoping to read more of my tbr-owned books.

message 14: by Laura (last edited Dec 15, 2011 03:40PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 147 comments I wonder how many of us do that Jennifer. I feel like I could easily delete 25% of my GR TBR. I add things way too easily. Or my interests just change.

My goal is not to have a goal for number of books read. I just want to find more books that will be 4s or 5s for me. And I want to read more non-fiction and historical fiction.

PS - I'd love to find a better way to know that a book I'm going to invest my time in winds up being something I'll love. Not sure how to do that.

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3753 comments I'm doing the same TBR-reducing challenge that Jackie is, read a set number of books before I can buy more.

Also, I'm doing a no re-read in 2012 goal, because I just have SOOOOO many books I want to get to, but I tend to go for the favorite re-read instead. 2012 I want to read only new-to-me books and not get sucked into re-reading multiple 7 book series... *cough* again.

Other than that... I'm not sure what my goal is going to be number-wise. I think I might stick with 125, which is what I started 2011 with. I then bumped it up to 150, and recently bumped it back to 145 when I realized it just wasn't gonna happen. 125 will be doable, even if I read some chunkies. :D

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (TinaBoscha) | 21 comments Laura wrote: "I wonder how many of us do that Jennifer. I feel like I could easily delete 25% of my GR TBR. I add things way too easily. Or my interests just change."

Do you ever read samples (online or via a Kindle)? I find that helps me a little bit, to the degree of finding things that I feel will compel me to read on. It's not a perfect workaround, as I might not have ever finished Life of Pi, for example, but it does help.

message 17: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Tina wrote: "Laura wrote: "I wonder how many of us do that Jennifer. I feel like I could easily delete 25% of my GR TBR. I add things way too easily. Or my interests just change."

Do you ever read samples (..."

I agree, samples are a good way to tell what KIND of writing it is, which can make all the difference. I also read a LOT of reviews here on GR and check the rating. Plus I might nag people once in a while on GR with "what did you think of this book! tellll meee! I must know if it's worth my time.
Thats just how I go about picking 'better' books.

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (TinaBoscha) | 21 comments From a writer's perspective, the tough piece is getting people to take a chance on you. But having a sample available (on Amazon) is a big help because folks can at least get a taste for the writing and the beginnings of the plot.

Now, if only I could get rid of my day job, I'd have time to write AND read more. :-)

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 147 comments Tina and Sarah - yeah, I do all of that and I feel like it helps, but I'd like to feel like there's something more I could do. Friend recs help too but no one has exactly the same taste as you. I think maybe the answer is to give up on a book sooner if it's not really wowing me.

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 584 comments I also want to trim down my to-read list by mostly reading books that I already have instead of buying new ones. I have picked up so many Kindle freebies and cheap promos, it seems silly to buy more books when I already have a bunch to read! I read a lot of them recently and it was starting to thin out... then all the Christmas promos started and now they're piling up again.

Of course there will be exceptions for new releases I can't wait to read. Or finishing up some series I started this year but haven't finished yet - that's another goal.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (TinaBoscha) | 21 comments In the end, it's a wonderful problem to have, when you think about it! :-)

The day job too, I suppose. (In this economy, absolutely, a wonderful 'problem'.)

message 22: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ My goals are to read from the books I am determined to read shelf. Or rather all of them - there are only 17. Also to read more non fiction and a few series, like Donna Leon that I have never gotten to.

message 23: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 444 comments I'm participating in the Around The World in 52 Books challenge and my goal for 2012 is to complete it. I expect that many of the books I'll be reading will be HF.

message 24: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Shomeret wrote: "I'm participating in the Around The World in 52 Books challenge and my goal for 2012 is to complete it. I expect that many of the books I'll be reading will be HF."

What is that? I've never heard of it

message 25: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 444 comments Around The World in 52 Books is a GR group devoted to the challenge. You can probably find it by searching groups. Each book is supposed to be set in a different country.

message 26: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 785 comments My book goal for 2012 will probably be 150 again - I'll probably end up with 160 this year, so it seems a good number.

I also want to clear up some of my TBR list, utilizing Interlibrary Loan. Our esteemed governor (oops) cut funding to our state library by almost 90%, so my local library lost funding for ILL for awhile. It's back and now I can get some of my TBR cleared.

I also want to work on some of the series/author I've set aside, especially the older authors like Earl Derr Biggs and Christiana Brand.

message 27: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3753 comments 90%?! Wow. That's just crazy!

message 28: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 785 comments Becky wrote: "90%?! Wow. That's just crazy!"

Okay, I was wrong. Funding for the State Library was cut 64%; program funding (like ILL) was cut 88%. Not that 2% really makes a difference. Here's a link to a LJ article :
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home...

message 29: by Melissa (last edited Dec 18, 2011 05:51AM) (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 227 comments My goals for 2012 are to:
1)Reduce my TBR list. I shouldn't have a problem with that. I gave everyone who wanted to know what to get me for Christmas a list of books off my TBR list that I want to read.
2) Read a wider variety of books. It seems like I mostly read one genre these days, so I'd like to branch out more.

message 30: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Laura wrote: "Tina and Sarah - yeah, I do all of that and I feel like it helps, but I'd like to feel like there's something more I could do. Friend recs help too but no one has exactly the same taste as you. I t..."

I have the same problem, I am the optimist when it comes to books so I'll pick one and read it, and even if I am not wowed by it as you say I always tell myself "Oh no it'll get better". But I HATE that feeling of 'well that was a huge waste of time' after you're done a book like that.
I have to be more ruthless.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (RockStarNinja) | 218 comments Sarah (Loudog) Louise wrote: "I have the same problem, I am the optimist when it comes to books so I'll pick one and read it, and..."

I've found that being more cut-throat helps, especially when you've got a big tbr pile going. If I'm not feeling a book by 100 pages in, I'll give it 50 more, then it's out. If a book is less than 400 pages it's 50 and 75.

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (Hantsuki) | 21 comments I managed to achieve my goal of 100 books this year, so I think I'll raise the goal to 110 books for 2012.

message 33: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Woohoo Way to go Ellen!

message 34: by Moon (new)

Moon | 101 comments I want to read a certain amount of books from my TBR pile before I purchase a new book. However, I hope to read about 50 books that are currently in my pile.

message 35: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 180 comments My goal is to review less and read more! I have reviewed every book I've read since I started my blog in 2009. I think this coming year I'm going to pick and choose which I review and then keep a reading journal to jot down some notes on the rest of them.

Also want to reduce the TBR as much as I can. Not sure how many I'll shoot for on the Goodreads challenge yet.

message 36: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Haha Holly you are the only opposite so far, review less, read more. I've been reviewing a little more since posting, trying to get them all reviewed. What I do however, is be selective about which books get an actual review and which ones just get a blub to let others know how I liked the book. It frees up a little more time to put real effort into the reviews for the books I like

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Holly P wrote: "My goal is to review less and read more! I have reviewed every book I've read since I started my blog in 2009. I think this coming year I'm going to pick and choose which I review and then keep a..."

I like the reading journal idea. That's great!

message 38: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3043 comments Holly P wrote: "My goal is to review less and read more! I have reviewed every book I've read since I started my blog in 2009. I think this coming year I'm going to pick and choose which I review and then keep a..."

I have a word document that I used for this purpose. Most often I write down the date I read it, thoughts, plot lines, etc. It's really handy during book discussions. Helps trigger my memory especially if I join in the discussion a few months after reading the book.

message 39: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 599 comments My goal for 2011 was 40 books.... and I'm just now reading my 40th book, hoping to have it read in time to make my GR goal for the year. So I think I'll probably keep it at the same level for this coming year ;)

message 40: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 304 comments My goal for 2012 is 50 books. I have no idea whether I'll come in close to that, way short, or overshoot it by a laughable amount. I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year before!

I signed up for Goodreads' 2012 challenge, but have no idea how to use it. Does it automatically keep track of my reads as I move books to my "read" shelf? Or do I need to enter them in as I go? I can't figure it out! Can anybody shed some light on it for me?

message 41: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (Keytan) | 169 comments Yeah Lavender it does. As soon as you hit "i'm finished" it'll add it to your 2012 total

message 42: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) I've set myself the goal of not buying another book until I've read all the books/ebooks I already have - the number came to 58 at the start of the year.

As some of these are pretty big ones, imo, I put my reading goal down quite low. I can see War & Peace and Crime & Punishment taking me a long time :S

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (RockStarNinja) | 218 comments Hayley wrote: "I've set myself the goal of not buying another book until I've read all the books/ebooks I already have - the number came to 58 at the start of the year.

As some of these are pretty big ones, imo..."

I always tell myself I'm not going to buy more until I've read everything I already have. . .then I go to the bookstore and buy more. It's a vicious cycle, but I'm ok with it.

message 44: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (Haybop) Haha, that's me normally - but I even managed to make myself walk past my favourite bookshop over the weekend, it was so difficult but I managed it!

I'll just keep reminding myself how many books I have that I need to read, that should stop me ;D

message 45: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3043 comments Lavender wrote: "My goal for 2012 is 50 books. I have no idea whether I'll come in close to that, way short, or overshoot it by a laughable amount. I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year before!..."

You can either hit the I'm finished button from the currently reading section in your home page or if you're on the review page make sure that it has a date read associated with it. The system will then automatically count it towards your challenge.

message 46: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) My goal is to read 52 books this year but I'm thinking of changing it to 60 or more because I'm already on my 15th book of the year.

message 47: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Petty Being a history teacher and a new dad, I don't get to read as much as I wished. But my odd goal this year is to read three fictional books that really shaped their times when they were published.

The first is Uncle Tom's Cabin, witten in 1852, that brought the concept of slavery in America to its forefront.

The second, The Jungle, written in 1906, that looked at the meat packing plants and the filth that was served up as food during the progressive era.

The third, The Grapes of Wrath, written in the 1930s about the Oklahoma Dust Bowl.

While I'm not sure if you can consider them historical, I do consider them part of our nation's history and a good way to help understand what our people were thinking at different time periods.

thanks.

message 48: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Doherty | 24 comments Simple one for me - more reading!

I find my time is absorbed by writing, but I also find that my writing improves if I'm reading an inspirational work in parallel.

message 49: by Noetic_Hatter (new)

Noetic_Hatter (noetichatter) My goal for this year is 100 books (in the Challenge). I allowed for comic book collections and graphic novels in that total. I am a few books ahead now, and so my mini-goal is to read fewer comics and more "real" books.

Of course, if I fall behind then I will have to read some comics collections. ;-P

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 605 comments Ryan wrote: "Being a history teacher and a new dad, I don't get to read as much as I wished. But my odd goal this year is to read three fictional books that really shaped their times when they were published.
..."

What a great idea!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Captains and the Kings (other topics)