The Covenant The Covenant discussion

Another Book in the Bag

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dale (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dale Robertson Very enjoyable historical fiction about development of South Africa. Very long book though and I am about a 1/3 the way into it. I believe I will finish but not sure if it will hold or for later.

Naftoli I read this book many years ago so I cannot remember the details except a few instances. However, that book gave me a life-long interest in South Africa. Though I have not visited SA yet, I have read extensively about SA since then. Michener certainly unveils the paradoxes and complicity of that society and this level of complexits continues to the present. I thank Michener for opening up "this door" for me!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dale wrote: "Very enjoyable historical fiction about development of South Africa. Very long book though and I am about a 1/3 the way into it. I believe I will finish but not sure if it will hold or for later."

I enjoyed the book too learned a good bit I didnt know but I had a hard time finishing it. I may reread it in say 5 years.

Dinah I read this book many tears ago and loved it. Michener has a way of blending fact with fiction that pulls you in. I loved almost all of his books.

Marge Simon Hi Dinah -- me too! I hadn't seen this was on GR --and I fully agree. It was intriguing to follow a family or individuals off and on during the journey --and gave me insight as to what happened in Africa over the generations once the Dutch and English (etc.) started poking around for diamonds, gold and so on.
I have (or bought) all of his works but I was very disappointed with SPACE. It wasn't HIM writing it anymore. Just a group of writers (I gather) under his supervision. I'm not sure about all the facts, though