MHSHS Reading Group discussion

Little Women

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Bryant (new)

Ms. Bryant | 11 comments Mod
People have read this book for over one hundred years. Is it still relevant today? Why or why not?

message 2: by Noraa (last edited Nov 09, 2008 12:05PM) (new)

Noraa | 2 comments A timlessly classic such as this book will be relevant for many years, if not centuries to come. The setting if not, the conflict can be realated to all people. Also the demeanors and personalities of the characters can appeal to people of all ages. Such as Jo, who is a like the inner child within all of us, that refuses to accept the fact that we must all grow up. This book as I said before is a timeless classic that if a person can't neccesarily relate to the plot of the book; can find themselves immersed in the story and the characters that shape it.

message 3: by Zhanna (new)

Zhanna | 1 comments I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'm a bit sorry that I don't feel the same as others towards this book. It can be relevant to some, but for now I'm living in the present and the future. The general messages displayed in the book may be easy to relate to, but I don't do much (if any) of what these girls do for entertainment. Times have changed to the point where their role in society is entirely more significant than what it was when Alcott decided to write the book.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 3 comments I think it is still relevant today. There are many things the sisters go through still applying to us today. Although, we are in two different time periods but things are still the same in terms of growing up and life lessons. For example, we still have to learn how to control our tempers to avoid getting into arguements and learn how to behave in front of different people. Some of us might be afraid of losing a close friend or a family member just like Jo is afraid of losing Meg to Mr. Brooke at first. There are lot of things people from all ages could learn from this book.

message 5: by Kieana (new)

Kieana (wwwgoodreadscomenglishkieana) | 2 comments i just really started this book but i like everything so far and it really shows about how money the value of a dollar change from then to now . it should about a family at christmas even though the value of money changed from now to then there are still families suffering from poverty . there still is people who have good hearts and little kids who wish they could have the same as other people who think its un fair that there not as good there is kis today who have to work to help bring a incoe mhome to there family so i think even though the time periods have change the element is still the same

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (muzix414) | 3 comments This book is timeless. Of course the era is different so therefore the customs are different but a lot of the morals and dilemmas faced in the story are relateable to our times. In the story and in our lives there are issues such as controlling anger or overcoming shyness. There are still girls like the ones in the story who prepped Meg and made her like a doll. Today they are the "Mean Girls". There is still war and there is still loss. The bird's death is just an example. Sacrifice is a major theme in this book and many people must sacrifice something, wether it be something big or small. This is a book all should read to understand the hardships and triumphs in life. This book just like many other historical fiction books will be read by people for years to come.

message 7: by Elaine (last edited Nov 16, 2008 06:24PM) (new)

Elaine | 3 comments I agreed with Mary that "this book is timeless". No matters which time period you are in, you can still apply this story to yourself or someone else you know. Once a while, you will face some hardships and just like the sisters you will need to learn how to surmount them.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 20 comments Little Women has always been a clasic tradition in family relationships. Its shows the hardships and the importance of keeping a family together. It's a wonderful book to read, reminding you the joy and happiness in which love, family, and friends may bring you...

message 9: by Noraa (new)

Noraa | 2 comments Final Reaction: I personally feel that this was one of the best books I have ever read. For some it can seem extensive, or lenghty but as you get into the story it progresses along with the characters. The only criticism that i have of this book is that I wished and hoped that Jo and Laurie would fall in love and get married and be a happy couple. Yet, Laurie fell for Amy and vice versa. I deeply believed that this was how the book was goin to turn out, yet it took a completely different direction. However, I can also apprecitae this becasue if all authors wrote what was expected to happen there would be no point really in readng a book. However, it was left to the imagination whether or not Laurie really ever got over his feelings for Jo, because it is said that once you fall in love, there is no other after that person. It appears that he did get on quite well and is happy in his life with Amy. It was also quite heatwrenching when Beth died, I thought that Jo would not be able to recover from that however, she was able to. Overall, I would have to say that although this book was written a while ago and for a different generation, it still appeals to today's society and genreation and deals with issues that we all face sometime or another in our lives.

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 3 comments Final Thought:
I agree with Noraa that I wish Jo and Laurie would be together instead of Amy and Laurie. On the other hand, Amy might be just meant to be with Laurie. She decides to leave home for Paris because of Laurie and she is the one who helps him overcome with Jo's rejection to his proposal and helps him define life again. Anyway, it is up to the author to decide how the story ends. I still like the ending of the book. Everyone have a happy ending and eventually learned how to be a wife and mother. It is mournful to hear that Beth isn't able to survive at the end. I like the idea how Jo decides to open a school for both rich and poor boys to teach him how to grow in an environment given to them. This is an amazing book and there are a lot of life lessons to be learned from it like how to overcome some difficulties you might face in growing up.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (muzix414) | 3 comments Final Thought- I also agree, I wish that Jo and Laurie were together. this book was one of the most relatable. Alcott is a romantic for sure but a different then the typical romance book. its more realistic and true to life. I was saddened by Beth's death but I was glad that the family showed her such kindness during her time left. the book was very true to life because it shows us the real events possible in life and how to deal with them in a positively. i was pleased with the ending because it was very satisfying. The only thing i was suprised a little bit about was Mr. Bhear. I didnt think she would like him because of the age difference. the story is one every girl, or anyone, should read. It was written for a different era and while it explains the time it also explains the importance in life. Very good.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 20 comments Well, i wish that Jo and Laurie were together in the end too but as usual, life is never what we expect it to be. It has twist and turns, never going the way we planned...

message 13: by Zinathuque (new)

Zinathuque | 1 comments Final thought:
I really liked this book. I was really hoping that Jo and Laurie would get married, and towards the end I thought that Jo would go back and accept the proposal. After reading this book, it really changed my perspective on the world.
My heart was really hurt when reading about the scarifice Joe made, this is not a big thing, i feel like i see this in family movies when realiting to Indian Movies. There is one person, that i willing to give up something really big. I felt that this was like a family drama story, with little comes along putting another problem in to the scene. On the other hand there is reality to it. I liked reading this book a lot.