Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > LITTLE CHILDREN

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Anna | 1 comments Oh god, this book........

I read it in about 24 hours because, I couldn't put it down....as well as the fact that I had nothing better to do. But it was more like a car crash than a good read-- I had to see what ridiculous contrivance Tom Perrotta was going to use next to get his stupid, unlikeable, unredeemable, uninteresting characters out of their dumb predicaments.

UGH.

Did people feel the same?

message 2: by Recynd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Recynd I just read this one, too! I'm not sure I should say too much, though, since technically, I didn't loathe it...

...but since you brought it up, I shall. Did your edition have all the reviews at the front like mine did? Here's what I wrote in my review of "Little Children":

Perhaps because of the abundant glowing reviews included at the beginning of the book, I expected something more than what I got. The New York Times called him an "American Chekhov", for heaven's sake!

I liked the book, don't get me wrong. It was an easy read; effortless, even. But "bitingly hysterical"? A "quietly remarkable" writer "more comparable to Flaubert than Hornby"?

Who'd this guy blow?

(I'm sorry, that was in poor taste; but seriously, Perrotta's writing, at least in "Little Children", doesn't merit the level of giddiness that so inspired the critics...)

"Quietly remarkable" my ass.

Loathesome characters aside, did YOU think it was well-written?