Our History discussion

Mark Twain Quote.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 3 comments I recently heard a quote from Mark Twain. He said something like: "History doesn't repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes." I thought that was a very good observation and in classic Twain fashion.

So what do you all think? Does history repeat itself or does it just mimic itself often enough to drive us nuts or give us comfort? If that makes sense. Do we learn from it or ignore it so that the same things come up over and over? Just curios. Take care.

message 2: by Pumpkinberry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Pumpkinberry (pbtv) Robert Penn Warren also said, "History cannot give us a program for the future, but it can give us a fuller understanding of ourselves, and of our common humanity, so that we can better face the future."

I agree with both Warren and Twain in that it seems too simplistic. Obviously, logically, history isn't repeating itself. The same events aren't happening over and over. But some similar events do happen. And if we look at the past and study ourselves as human beings, we're bound to run into the same sort of problems we had in the past in our future. It would be great to learn from our past- and some of us do- but people in large groups tend to be stupid. They tend to follow authority and forget the past. They get swept up. Trying to get a whole nation, a whole world, to remember and cherish a past in which sometimes they weren't apart of is hard.

= \