Everything Literature discussion

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
This topic is about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Book 1 Reading Schedule/Discussion Board

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana (last edited Dec 09, 2011 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tana (wanderingalice) | 75 comments Mod
There are 21 days (3 weeks) left to read this book. Here is the tentative schedule:

* Chapters 1-9 should be read by Friday, Dec. 16th
~First discussion question will be posted today for those who would like to begin discussing the book now

* Chapters 10-19 should be read by Friday, Dec. 23rd
~Second question will be posted early as well

* Chapters 20-epilogue should be read by Friday, Dec. 30th
~Third question will be posted early

**If the questions I post do not interest you or do not seem relevant to the discussion, feel free to post your own questions---or if my questions are a good segue to other discussions, we can discuss other topics as well. This is your group as much as it is mine. Participate freely, but please try to stick to the reading schedule. Thanks!

message 2: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

1. Humans have a hard time not judging a book by its cover. Why do you think Armansky (& others) based his assumptions about Salander based on her looks? Do we, as a society, still judge by looks, or have we learned our lesson?

message 3: by Jordan (last edited Dec 13, 2011 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jordan | 15 comments Tana wrote: "1. Humans have a hard time not judging a book by its cover. Why do you think Armansky (& others) based his assumptions about Salander based on her looks? Do we, as a society, still judge by looks, ..."

I think it's hard not to, no matter how open minded we think we are. I mean, if I saw someone like Lizbeth walking around, I might have to look twice and try not to form opinions based on look. It's tough, honestly, but it's what we do. Especially on first look. Lizbeth doesn't make it any easier by being guarded and mysterious; if we can't get to know someone, can we form a real opinion of them? Or are we just believing what we want to believe in order to satisfy our own needs and curiosities?

It's been a while since I've read the book, so I can't remember how far into the story Chapter 9 goes, so I don't want to get into any character specifics.

message 4: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

I figured by Chapter 9, the story would be rolling, but there has been no real action yet. The stage is still being set with descriptions of the Vanger family, the town, etc. I agree that it is hard not to form opinions based on look. As human beings, we were given an innate instinct, I believe, as a form of protection; however, I have also learned through experience that the opinions I form based on looks can backfire. As far as Lizbeth is concerned, her looks apparently didn't keep Armansky from hiring her--but it did concern him, thus his reasoning behind keeping an eye on her. I can't wait to see how Armansky & Salander's relationship develops. She's so guarded, I wonder if anything will happen at all.

message 5: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

OK, as I got deeper into the chapter, I ran into some unpleasant scenes. Here's question # 2: Do you feel the detailed rape scenes are necessary or gratuitous? Why or why not? I feel they were unnecessary, but that is how I feel about most violent/sexually detailed scenes. I don't like those images flashing through my mind.

Jordan | 15 comments I think they are over the top, but I generally don't like reading anything like that, especially rape. I'm not sure how far you've gotten into it, but there are a few more sex scenes; nothing as bad as the first rape, though. Beware. The rapes serve purpose, especially for Salander's character, and it allows her to grow and gives her an identity of sorts. It's pretty cool, but the way it got there was very uncomfortable to me. Like you, I don't want those images in my mind. But honestly, if it's too bothersome you might want to stop reading. You're good for a while (there is a sex scene or two, but not too graphic) but towards the end it gets a little more gratuitous. Not giving anything away, but just a warning of sorts.

message 7: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

While I find all the details boring & the book kind of slow, I can't stop reading now. The mystery is what keeps me going. I can't wait to find out what happens. I'm alright w/the sex scenes, it's the other stuff that gets me, but I'll make it through. Now, I just found out that the movie premier was the 21st, not the 31st....oops! I still think it's reasonable to have the book read by the 31st. I'm more than halfway through, so I might be done early. Yay! So....something else I've been thinking about. Blomkvist seems to be searching for something, and I don't mean Harriet's killer. In almost every chapter there is mention of a church, Harriet was a bit of a fanatic, and Blomkvist's daughter seems to be caught up in some sore of cult...maybe? Maybe it's just a church, but I have a funny feeling about that one. Anyhow, for a non-believer, Blomkvist sure does seem to be searching. What do you all think? Am I reading too much into it, or is there something going on deep down inside his psyche/heart?

message 8: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Done! What do you make of the political/economic material? I think Larson was making a general commentary, through fiction, on the sad state of affairs throughout the world. Interesting stuff.

Jordan | 15 comments I loved the religious aspect of the book, even though it sort of seemed like religion and holy books inflame sexual violence by promoting intellectual immaturity. Larsson's stance on Christianity is obvious, but the Bible passages and such were a nice detail, albeit a little heavy handed. As far as Blomkvist goes, he is indeed searching for something but I'm not sure it's a spiritual something. He's lonely, about to go to prison, and trying to find out what he's doing with his life. He finds a physical connection in the form of women, but he is definitely searching for something more.

Also, I do agree with you that Larsson is commenting on the sad state of affairs around the world and especially Sweden.

message 10: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

I agree. It really irritates me that for centuries the Bible has been misconstrued as a rule book (if you are a man) & a book of submission (if you are a woman). TGWTDT was a classic example of how the Bible is taken out of context. Instead of intellectual immaturity, it should promote intellectual maturity & wisdom. I can't decide if I want to read the next book or not. Did you read the trilogy?

unread topics | mark unread