Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Swallowing Darkness Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
Ok so Cat doesn't Cry heehee Here is a thread for those of us who have finished the book. so heres what we got
* Grans Dead
* Onliwyn is dead
* Sioban is dead
* CEL IS DEAD!!!!!!!! Yay
* Merry has new fun swords to play with
* Sholto does to and Mistral has a lightniging stick and Doyle has a horn the makes people crazy awesome.
* Meryy is sorta married to Sholto
* Ash and Holly are Sidhe now and one has the hand of flesh the other the hand of blood.
* Merry can sorta heal people a little now
* Merry and doyle were crowned by Fairie as king and Queen of the unseelie. Andais recognized that.
* Merry and Doyle gave up there crowns to get Frost back who was dying in his stag form
* So now they don't have there crowns but Andais is still offering the throne to Merry.
* Merry and company are moving to LA until the babbies are born cuz It's to dangerous for them to stay near fairie.
* Taranis is still a dick and Merry is using human law to acuse him of rape. we will see more of that in the next book I bet.
* Oh yeah and Merry and sholto called the wild hunt and went after Merry's cousin who basically killed Gran. Merry was flying through the air on a horse that had flames coming out of its hooves pretty cool.

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Well, you covered it all. *g*

This book seemed to have far more of an ending than the last few. The last few left you with a "to be continued" feeling. This one had a little bit of "happily ever after" in it.

Love Merry learning to control her hands of power. Using them to heal as well as harm. And I thought it was wild that Holly and Ash split her powers among themselves like that.

Not sure what else to say at the moment. Still letting it all sink in.

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I agree it did feel like an ending. I mean there are still things that can be talked about but wow alot of her problems are solved now. I still think that Merry should be queen of both courts but something super extreme is going to have to happen to keep people from turning on her and wanting to kill her.

message 4: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments I can't quite decide if all the different courts are going to merge, or if they're all going to become powers in their own right. But I think it's going to be more than just the Seelie vs the Unseelie. The goblins and the sluagh are going to be important, as well.

From Laurell's latest blog, I think we're going to at least keep going till the twins are born.

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I know she gets mad when people keep asking whether this book is the last and really if I hadn't read her other blogs I would asume this is the last book it has a 'the end' sort of feel. I am very glad there will be more though.

message 6: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments I can understand the questions with this one. Merry got her two men, her bigger circle of men, and her babies. Cel is dead. Faerie seems to have made her queen in all but name. It feels like we're so close to the ending. But I imagine there will be new complications that haven't yet been hinted about. There is still story left to tell.

message 7: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments Okay, so i saw the thread this morning and it took EVERYTHING in me not to peek. But i HAD to finish the book on my lunch break, because i just couldn't stand it, I HAD TO KNOW.

Anyway, SO glad Cel is dead, happier than you can imagine, Siobahn too... but i was pretty angry about Gran, couldn't we have had the goddess intervene there??? Okay i know, you can't keep everyone, but still, i wished she could have been around for the babies (one's a boy!!)

Oh and SHIT! Cel killed Essus!!!! I think that we all knew that, but to have it be said, and know it was by his hand...i think hand of blood/flesh death was NOT ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH REVENGE...but Merry is sweeter than I (I would have rebuilt the tourture chamber just for him..)

Glad Frost is back, but sad they aren't kicking Andais out...but i understand why.

I have to say, i still wonder whatever happened to Keelin???? She's got to be around right??

So Merry is still queen of the slaugh, i liked the fact that a human seamstress had a dream and knew about "her" before. I can't stand Besaba, i really wish someone would kill her, but i guess she's not enough of a threat, just stupid.

I think that next book should definitely be focus on Taranis and the whole rape thing, as well as pregnancy stuff. I'd love to see more of Barinthus, so happy he can be near the ocean again!!

I have to say, i was kinda expecting some hot sex with Darkness....is it just me that was a little dissapointed??? (I LOVE DOYLE!!)

Ash and Holly getting hands of power were great, but at the same time the conversation with the Goddess, Merry agrees that the goblins do deserve their power back...does this mean that more goblins will start to have shide power?? (Kurag's gonna LOVE that) I was also pissed that Kurag didn't come to help in the fight, and i feel like something needs to happen there.

All-in-all, great book but WAY too short. So glad the story's not over.

message 8: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments Oh and this bood made me like Mistral a lot more than i used to....

message 9: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Poor Mistral. Being tortured all that time and he wasn't even told he was a father.

What does everyone think of the sparks between Mistral and Sholto? That was kinda wild.

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments I agree that this book did have an "ending feel" and i am glad that she will continue the series. This was my favorite book in the series. I wanted cel to suffer more, i think if i were Merry i'd have had my own little ball of flesh to poke at but it wouldnt have sat well with is mom. I think it's awesome that she's queen of the Slaugh, i think that will help if she decides to become queen of either court. (who wants to piss off someone who controls the Slaugh). I'm kinda nervous about future books with the babies, the violence and all. i'd hate for them to lose a father or someone close to them. i wonder will the tone of the books change.

Jiaka1981 Winfield | 62 comments I'm also pretty sure that Ash and Holly will be the new goblin kings real soon. How does Kurag intended to fight off sidhe powered goblin twins. I also had a thought of Merry's new sword Holly may want that added bonus to his new power. Do you think the twins pose a threat to Merry now?

message 12: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Good point, Jiaka. Merry is no longer the only one with the hand of flesh.

message 13: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments Oh and the other thing i remembered was that short conversation Merry had with Sholto's uncle Chattan. She says that she could feel that it was very significant, i wonder what his role will be in the future..maybe Sholto will leave the Slaugh and rule with Merry and her men in Fairie and Chattan will take control of the Slaugh??? I dunno...just fishing...

message 14: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments I like the idea of Ash and Holly becoming the new goblin kings. I really don't like Kurag. Especially since he was to much of a coward to come help Merry, maybe he'll die because he'll be forsworn...

message 15: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I think A part of Merry will be sad to have to get rid or Kurag well maybe Kurag's twin, but I agree he is going to have to go too many times When Merry has needed his help kurag has not come. the red hats are totally there for merry and that is good but the rest of the goblins totally need a butt kicking maybe ash and Holly will be the ones to give it to them that would be good.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (fantasy_mom) | 28 comments How about Holly and Ash wanting to have "gentle" sex with Merry? That was so unexpected and... well, cool. I don't they will be a threat to Merry, since she has now seen a vulnerable side of them and embraced it fully. They have a connection now.

This book was just..... wow. When I finished it, I closed the book, closed my eyes, took a deep breath and just... melted. Even without the usual amount of sex, this book was so very fulfilling. I can't wait til the next one!

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) Best book in the series yet! So much happened, it's hard to keep track - but you guys did a great job helping me remember. I agree that it's not an ending. A few of the early books had a similar sense at the end, but clearly she has more to tell us about these guys. My prediction is that Merry will end up Queen all right, but of a new, healthy and flourishing court out in CA. The Seelie and Unseelie are dying and are too stubborn and stupid to embrace the lifelines that Merry and the Goddess are throwing them. The other courts recognize a good thing and the wild magic already started a new patch of fairy at the house in CA. The Goddess is fed up with the Sidhe, so I think she's going to continue to grow Merry's power out west with the gang that supports her and maybe more interbred/mortal characters. What do you guys think?

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (mansiongal) | 8 comments I agree with Catherine that there will be more hybrid characters like the National Guard sergeant and I also agree that she will be queen of a new court in California. I love that Frost is back and that Cel is dead.
I was a bit disappointed there wasn't more sex. Other than the unfinished scene with Doyle and Sholto in the bed in the bower and the scene with Ash and Holly, no sex!
When I closed the book, I thought the story was over even thought there will still loose ends. It just had a note of finality to it. Glad to hear it's not. :)

message 19: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments I really hope she gets to start her own new fairie in LA, and that those courts of fairie that support her come to LA to join her.

Kurag needs to die (poor Kurag's twin i know..) he hasn't held up his side of the bargain at all.

I really do hope that Keelin shows back up, and it would be cool if the Godess gave her something.

And it's cold of me, but i think Merry's mom should die to, or at least be exiled. She's obviously never cared for Merry, and is now going to be used as a tool to Taranis. Something needs to happen so that she can see Merry's worth

message 20: by pianogal (new)

pianogal | 8 comments Just finished last night. I loved the story, but was worried that this was the end for Merry - even though I hadn't heard anything of that nature. LKH usually likes to keep series going, so I am very glad to hear this one's not quite dead yet - even though Cel is! Yeah! And Frost is back! It was so nice to settle some conflicts for a change - I didn't even miss all the sex (much). So when's the next one come out? ;)