Debate discussion

Other Debates > Hidden Sexism

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) You know what annoys me?

when people are sexist (particularly other girls) to girls. Then they claim that they aren't sexist because they didn't even realize that they were being that.

It's in little comments-- not open comments or jokes most of the time.(though I've seen that too, and heard that. I have a wonderful story about how somebody in my class last year said, "Women get to be first lady, shouldn't that be enough?" In my opinion, he was quite an idiot, when he said it while surrounded by several girls, one of which was my friend who is a big on rights of womans/gays/other people. And my teacher was a woman as well((not to say she's now a man, just that she is no longer my teacher.)))

Anyhow, whenever a male is called a girl or woman as an INSULT (when it should be bizarre but not insulthing) that is sexism. When they take offense, that is a form of sexism. (Just like feeling insulted when called 'gay' is in a way sexual harassment)

I think it is horrible that people do this without even THINKING, but won't consider that they make sexist comments. I mean, they are simple things, like saying, "you throw like a girl" or "you scream like a girl."

And of course, there is the whole thing with insulting being rude and all the same stuff, allways 'your mom' and 'f*** you!'. The point is unimportant, except in the solution. You see, it is simple.

Step 1:Get the schools to stop brainwashing people, and allow them to be creative. (this is the hardest part)
Step 2:When you are angry with somebody and feel the sudden desire to insult them, their family, their country, their ancestors' herritage, and maybe even their friends, BE CREATIVE! Leave them astounded and wondering what just happened to them. Tell them that they are your favorite villain in your current story, and give a few details of what that villain did, and get off topic, which will be followed by an 'I've got to go now, class is starting' and walking away.
You can do things more subtly as well.
Step 3:Get everybody else to do it to.
Step 4:SUCCEED! In doing this, it will eliminate people being called girls as an insult, because it's uncreative.

Of course, this wouldn't actually work, sadly. It's because of the first step, and the lack of quick-wittedness that most people suffer from. The first step is a whole 'nother argument though, and I won't go into it.

The important thing is your view on this. What is it? Tell the world! (or just this group. :P)

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hmm. However I live, I will never let anyone stop me, whatever I do, I will not let my gender limit my success. I believe we have come a long way on sexism, but there of course will be remnants of it for a while. Hidden Sexism? gahh, I don't have good witty comebacks. It's as you said, sorry. :P

message 3: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments ME NEITHER! THIS ISNT 1920 PPL!!!!!

XD

message 4: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments O.O
i was just playing 1917 on KONGREGATE!
lo.
ok yeah i know, not important.

message 5: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Xd
lol

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Well, magaret, that was more of a fantasy than a plan. *sigh*

But the thing is, only a few people see what is happening, still. I think that people need to become aware of it, along with realizing that it is okay to step outside the 'be a man' box.

Which reminds me of Challenge Day, which I think is an experience everybody should have. That day is just... wow. It's kinda cheesy, but the amazing feeling of unity and compassion in that room is beyond compare. http://www.challengeday.org/

Anyhow, All of this sexism is overall just horrible. People NEED to be made aware.

message 7: by Kenny (new)

Kenny (kjamesmobile) | 905 comments But, I don't think that calling someone the opposite gender is purely sexism... If I called some girl (or woman, if you prefer) a man, she'd knock me off my feet. Same with guys! I think we just don't want to be called the opposite gender because they are so different than what we truly are. I wouldn't want to be called a girl because it defies everything that I AM. I would be more emotional, less physical; I wouldn't be able to obtain the muscle mass I currently have; I wouldn't be able to join half the societies and sports/clubs that I am in now; I wouldn't have the same friends, or even the same ATTITUDE!

I'd just be a completly different person. That's what is so repulsive! It's not that I have anything against gals (on the contrary...)!

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) An intersting view... and somewhat true, I admit.

But it's when the steryotypes that come WITH being called a girl then that is sexism.

It is not true that girls are more emotional than guys; society just let's girls show it. We also happen to have raging hormones once a month, but that's a different story. (that's probably also where that stereotype comes from.)

Anyhow, it's just the overly-emotional, weak, needy, whiny crap comes in that I get mad. But other than that I agree with you. It is quite foreign and somewhat repulsive because of that.

message 9: by Lela (new)

Lela | 167 comments I agree with kenny too. I posted a longer message stating my exact opinion and then my computer went all weird and it isn't here so I guess it didn't post. So, I'll leave it at that, I agree with kenny.

message 10: by Kenny (new)

Kenny (kjamesmobile) | 905 comments Wowza... Two agreements! I can run for office now!

yeah, I'll admit, all of the sexist comments are not able to be diverted or excused as simply kidding, or not sexism. We live in a cruel world, with out equality or fairness, so things are said that shouldn't be said.

Signing out,
Kenny

message 11: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments kk bye

message 12: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 931 comments well i don't see it often anymore

i mean other than the 1st grade boys have cooties
and saying ew at girly things

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Really? In middle school, it was one of the ONLY forms of bullying I noticed. I didn't see any of the others really (we had a cheesy program that most people disliked that was anti-bullying, but it works). It seems odd that you don't see it often.

message 14: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Bullys never really bothered me. I mean sometimes a girl would be mean to me but id just have to whoop her sorry little *bleep*

XD

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 931 comments well now all the sudden (at least in the populars) girls and boys are always hanging out

and it's not very noticeable

message 16: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I was best friends with a girl who gave me 2 bloody noses. At different times, of course.

But I've noticed that it's funner to hang out with boys in fifth grade than girls, because boys get more mature but the girls get all gossipy. So, I'm mostly friends with guys.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I dunno about where I stand on all this. I mean, as Kenny said, girls are very different from guys. I think that gender equality is a good thing, but with that in mind, a woman isn't a man, and vice versa.

message 18: by Kenny (new)

Kenny (kjamesmobile) | 905 comments Yeah. I think we have gotten very far along the path to equality, but I don't think we will ever achieve total equality. Their will always be old ways, despite the fact that we wish otherwise. But who knows, maybe our generation will change all of that! GO EQUALITY! ESPECIALLY FOR MEN! LOL, kidding.

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 931 comments we'll never be 100% equal as long as we're different

probably...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I know! It is SO unfair! Just because women came into the workforce much later than men, we still get paid less. I know that doesn't make much sense, though...We girls can accomplish things just as well as men can!

Getting back to the bullying thing...

Someone started this stupid rumor about me, and not as many people talked to me that much. It was probably the best thing that ever happened to me! I became really good friends with Veronica and Rainy and I became friends with Kenzie years later but we are very good friends!

YAY!

message 21: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments lol! THat's great.

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana  (higura_natume) | 931 comments silver lining on the cloud...