Morning Coffee Group discussion

Midnight...Evil discussion, SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cam671) | 5 comments Lakeshia said: "How are you doing with Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? I have so many books on my list to read. So many books, so little time."

I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it so far. Strange that the first half of the book was all about meeting the many colorful characters in town - that has to be the longest exposition I've ever seen. Kind of like meeting a bunch of interesting strangers at wild party - think Berendt was going for that?

I see what folks meant about the first page grabbing you; I liked "...eyes so black they were like the tinted windows of a sleek limousine - he could see out, but you couldn't see in."

message 2: by Lakeshia (new)

Lakeshia Well I'm not halfway through the book. Not that it isn't good. I've just been really busy. I agree with Cameron, the first line grabs your attention and doesn't let go. Right now, John Berendt is painting a vibrant picture of his characters. You forget that this is a nonfiction book. He starts of by describing Savannah socialite Jim Williams. Williams reminds of me of those gossipy girls in the office. They always seem to know whats going on. I love the way he talks about how cheap rich folks are. I won't go into details because i don't want to spoil it for you. If you haven't started reading the book, you really need to pick it up. Stay tuned.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Aaa. I haven't even started yet. Lost in graduate reading.

I'll start this weekend and report back.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments I haven't started it yet, either - planning for a new unit at school on writing and short stories. Anyone have any short stories that have grabbed you and might grab a 13-15 year old??? Or remember ones that you learned in school that you'd suggest?

Jen

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments Hey Kim - what are you studying and where? I'm finishing (next fall, thank God) my Masters in Reading which I only took because I thought it would make me better qualified to be an English teacher - - - but all that they taught us about were really young children - and I work with middle and high school students! I'm taking a writing class this semester - a ton of work writing and reading, but I love the classes.

Jen

message 6: by Lakeshia (new)

Lakeshia It's hard to think of this book as nonfiction. I'm like, can quirky people like this exist? It's hard to imagine a woman who knows a thousand songs and drives while putting her make-up on. I'm thinking Berendt is stretching the truth just a little. How in the world can so many crazy people exist in Savannah? Don't get me wrong, the book is written well. It's too hard to believe that it's nonfiction. I'm sure the murder aspect of the book is correct. Anyway, I'm still reading. I'll check in periodically.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments I hate to admit this - no, I don't know a thousand songs, but I do put on my makeup while driving. :( I know I know - I'm a menace - don't drive 64E around 6 a.m. weekdays, ok? :) But the driving and makeup thing is very true, or plausible, perhaps.

Jen

message 8: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Just finished reading the book.

This was the second time I read it, and I still found it enjoyable.

As for Lakeshia's comments about Berendt stretching the truth.

I believe he does fudge with the time line, and adds a story telling quality to his writing, but all those characters do exists. I remember watching an A&E documentary on the book after the first time I read it. All the characters in all their crazy glory gave interviews and told their thoughts on the murder, Jim Williams, Berendt and "The Book" as the good people of Savannah kindly refer to "Midnight..."

message 9: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cam671) | 5 comments Wow, I wonder if I could get that documentary through an inter-library loan...

message 10: by Lakeshia (new)

Lakeshia I'm sure Cameron that with a little research you may be able to find a copy of the documentary. I would be interested in watching it as well. It's a fascinating read and the characters are larger than life. I like the way the author acts like a fly on the wall listening to bits and pieces of information while attending a party. I'm also amazed at how easily the N-word is said in ordinary conversation. I'm seriously thinking about taking a trip down to Savannah to see some of these fascinating places mentioned in the novel.

message 11: by Rob (new)

Rob | 5 comments Jen wrote: "I hate to admit this - no, I don't know a thousand songs, but I do put on my makeup while driving. :( I know I know - I'm a menace - don't drive 64E around 6 a.m. weekdays, ok? :) But the drivi..."

Thank you for the warning, Jen. I'm already on the road by 6AM, so if you'll tell me where 64E is, I'll be sure to stay out of your way. :-)