The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You Know About Food Is Wrong The Gospel of Food discussion

Soy- not so good for you

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Rebecca I never jumped on the soy bandwagon--I prefer my food fried and fatty. But since no one else seems to be reading this book, (WHICH IS AMAZING) I thought I'd try to spark some curiosity by sharing a few quotes I find particularly interesting.

Today's topic is soy's unfounded reputation as a health-food.

"The torrent of advertising and PR campaigns propounding the benefits of soy easily drowns out the voices of knowledgeable scientists who raise concerns. Soon after the FDA approved the health claim, two senior scientists at the agency let it be known that they had written an internal memorandum opposing the action. Some journalists reported their doubts—studies indicating that soy consumption can increase the probability of thyroid dysfunction and women’s risk of breast cancer. But by and large, the news media ignored those negative findings, and subsequent studies suggesting that men who regularly consume soy in midlife have greater brain aging in later years, and that while soy reduces cholesterol levels in some people, it may actually increase the risk of heart disease in others” (Glassner 55).

Furthermore, soy isoflavones have hormonal effects, are potentially carcinogenic and could damage human fetuses.

So, perhaps good old MILK-milk is the way to go.

(Thoughts and comments are appreciated.)

message 2: by Tom (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Tom I haven;t read this book yet, but couldn't agree more with your comments about soy. With the recent surge in vegetarians, and more importantly vegans, the amount of soy the US consumes is incredible. I have little doubt that the FDA's approval has a lot to do with the departments of agriculture. For so long farmers have been growing corn on an unbelievable scale and depleting the topsoils. The soy plant was added into a yearly rotation with corn for its nitrogen fixing capabilities (corn needs incredible amounts of nitrogen to grow). It's just like so many other things that are done to make our economy stronger, while disregarding public health. I'll give this book a look.

-Tom

message 3: by Thomas (last edited Mar 12, 2008 12:33AM) (new)

Thomas Saying "soy" is "bad for you" seems to be a pretty big over-generalization. There is a big difference between whole soy (soybeans or edamame) and processed soy, which is usually just the protein (called soy isolates or isoflavones).

Eating whole foods, with as little processing and artificial crap as possible improves all sorts of the body's natural functions (cardiovascular, digestion, etc.). The soybean itself is a fantastic food. It's just eating mass quantities of the artificially created "isolates" that scientists are now discovering potential issues with.

I am no expert, nor have I read Glassner's book about food --- but if those are the types of claims he is making then I doubt I ever will.

P.S. Watch 2004's "The Corporation" to learn why regular milk-milk is truly disgusting. Personally, I drink almond-milk. It's a GREAT alternative.

Lesley If you read the whole book, then you would see that the author touches upon the fact that many, many things are bad for you when consumed too frequently. Everything in moderation is still the most intelligent phrase I've heard with regard to all types of food. Soy is not bad for you unless you eat too much of it every single day. Apparently, the point of this book was missed by many people. "Enjoy what you eat" applies to all foods, even soy. In my opinion, Tofu is one of the gods' greatest gifts.