Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Favorite quote(s) from a Mystery...

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Doina | 18 comments I thought this might be a good topic to start a conversation. One of my favorite quotes comes from "The Thin Man" by Dashiell Hammett. I can't remember if I saw this in the book, or the movie based on the book, but since I am at work right now, and my book is at home, I am putting it up anyway.

"I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you."

I'll be back later with some more memorable quotes. :p

message 2: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Doina | 18 comments Got home not long ago, checked the previous quote, and it is from the book. Huh! Can't believe that I actually remembered it so accurately.

Here's another quote that I like:

"It's an ugly, horrible sight is muder and the trouble with murder is that it usually tends to wipe out the only good witness of the crime-the victim. That means we've got to rely on other witnesses, normal, ordinary people most of them, who accidentally get caught up at some point in the wretched business."

This quote is from "The Last Bus to Woodstock" by Colin Dexter.

message 3: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Doina | 18 comments Oh, come on now, you have me intrigued. You can't just leave it like that. You have to tell me which book it is or I will go crazy trying to figure it out. This will contribute to my insomnia, and result in more sleepless nights. (at least that will help me catch up with my reading, but might result in crankiness and me taking out my bad mood on the clients at work which would not be good)

At least give me a list of books that it might be part of, and I will try to figure it out on my own.

PLEASE!

:P

message 4: by Doina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Doina | 18 comments Fine, don't tell me, or even give me a clue. See if I care. *sniff**sniff*

Here's another quote that I like:

"Durkin was all right up to the neck. When I consider how thick he was in most respects I am surprised how he could tail...I asked him once how he did it, and he said, "I just go up to the subject and ask him where he's headed for, and then if I lose him I know where to look." I suppose he knew how funny that was; I don't know, I suspect him."

This one is from Rex Stout, "Fer-de-Lance"

message 5: by Judub (new)

Judub | 12 comments I want to know. Tell me. It has already driven me crazy!

message 6: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments My all time favorite and only quote I know by heart:

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

That's just delicious! I think it's Shakespeare's Hamlet. The first half of the sentence is also an Agatha Christie novel and the last is a novel by Ray Bradbury. I believe all three were made into movies, too.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth My favorite first line from a mystery is from C.J. Box's OPEN SEASON:

"On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Bellotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up."

Now, if that doesn't get the reader asking questions, I don't know what does!

message 8: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 61 comments My favourite first line is from The crow road by Iain Banks, Prentice the main character is trying to solve the mystery of his uncle's disappearance years earlier.
" The day my grandmother exploded..."
It's a great book, full of dark scottish humour and an interesting cast of characters, and he does solve the mystery in the end.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

Great opening line from Deanna Raybourne's Silent in the Grave,.

message 10: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments hehehe, those are funny! :)

message 11: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 68 comments It isn't funny like some of the others but here's one that hooked me:
"Few crimes make us fear for the evolution of our species. I am watching one right now.”
That's the opening of John Burdett's "Bangkok Haunts," a truly different series featuring a Thai detective who's also a devout Buddhist and a pimp.

message 12: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments Now that sounds interesting! I'm looking up that book right now.

message 13: by rabbitprincess (new)

rabbitprincess Two quotes I like. One is a first line that gripped me right away:

"He knew at once it was a human bone, when he took it from the baby who was sitting on the floor chewing it."
-- Arnaldur Indridason, Silence of the Grave

Another one made me laugh out loud when I read it:

"Rebus picked a book off the shelf. It seemed to be saying that the Scots had invented the modern world. He looked around to make sure they weren't in the fiction section."
-- Ian Rankin, Fleshmarket Close

And I too am intrigued by Bangkok Haunts. Thanks for putting up that quote! It is indeed a good hook.

message 14: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments Ha! I'm hoping to read Silence of the Grave this month. I just finished Jar City a week or so ago. I thought I had read all of the Ian Rankin books, but I don't remember that quote. I'm gonna have to find that book, too! :)