Cannery Row (Cannery Row, #1) Cannery Row discussion

Doc in love?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin I finished this book last night, but was confused by the description on the back cover. "Doc, a young marine biologist surprisingly finds love."

When does Doc find love? He seems pretty lonely to me. I know that this is the story line for the sequel Sweet Thursday. So am I missing something, or is it a misprint?

Geoffrey Ha, ha, got a first edition of SWEET THURSDAY. Aren`t you just jealous?

Richard loved Cannary, is Sweeth Thursday as good?

Mirela Vasile (Dinny) Sandyboy wrote: "loved Cannary, is Sweeth Thursday as good?" I liked both very much, but I just loved Sweet Thursday.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Madera Ja Ja Ja. Thanks to the lord I found this thread, I was pulling my hair thinking Doc finding true Love. I had come to the conclusion, that Doc had fallen in love with life, LOL. It did seem like it —at the end.

Sarah Booth Erin wrote: "I finished this book last night, but was confused by the description on the back cover. "Doc, a young marine biologist surprisingly finds love."

When does Doc find love? He seems pretty lonely to..."

It must be. Somewhere I saw something else that got the two books mixed up. It's Sweet Thursday where he is matched up with the girl. Must be a mix up at the publishers and they didn't want to take the financial loss to chuck the books out with the mistake.

message 7: by s.e (new) - rated it 5 stars

s.e I didn't like Sweet Thursday at all. The romance was super forced by everyone so idk wasn't my cup o tea. However I really like Joe Elegant. He was vibing.

Breezy Kinkade Doc fails at finding romantic love, the chapter describing how a beaver built a nest for a mate yet never found one is Steinbeck’s way of alluding to this poetically.
However, Doc does find love by the end. The love he finds is the love for his fellow miserable friends (Mack and his gang of hobo’s.) That was my take away from studying Cannery Row.

...Or it’s a printing error as mentioned by others. Haha.