What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED: Tongue-in-cheek English nanny novel (contemporary) [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Debbi | 9 comments I will be stunned if anyone can help me out here, as this book is kind of obscure and a really odd niche novel. I actually bought it at a $ store, so assume it didn't have huge readership, but I *loved* it.

It was the story of a present-day young nanny who goes to work at some rich home in the countryside; I think it's written in the first person. The prose style was a spoof of Victorian English writing; kind of Jane Eyre-ish. To me, as a former English major, it was wildly funny, because I had read and identified with those sorts of heroines, but within the context of the story the nanny character came off as humorously pompous in comparison to the other "straight" characters.

She lived in a carriage house or something on the property, and I think she and her young male charge fall in love. The whole thing is very pseudo-melodramatic; she takes herself ridiculously seriously even when the actual events are pretty mundane.

I know this is a terrible description, but hope maybe someone has read this! Thanks!! -- Deb

message 2: by Peggy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Peggy | 21 comments Hi Deb,

Could it possibly be http://www.amazon.com/Country-Life-No... The Country Life by Rachel Cusk?

message 3: by Debbi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Debbi | 9 comments Peggy, you are BRILLIANT!!! This is the very book, and I am flabbergasted that my terrible description was recognizable! This has been driving me crazy for a couple of years. Thank you so, so much!! (Did you enjoy this book too?) -- thanks again, Debbi

message 4: by Peggy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Peggy | 21 comments You're quite welcome, Debbi. It's been so long since I read the book that I honestly couldn't tell you what I thought about it. Luckily, I retained just enough info to be triggered by your description.