The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > CONGRATULATIONS: the 21st century starts here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 213 (213 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Congratulations to all Americans on the election of your new President Elect Barack Obama, the leader of the ruling nation of the free world. The 21st century really starts here!

The baby boomers, the children of the 60s have been the movers and shakers for long enough, now the baton is handed over with love and goodwill to a new generation.

message 2: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Thank you Petra! I believe this is a very good start.

message 3: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) Yay! I think its wonderful news. I think it must be a bittersweet victory though with his grandmother dying.

I wonder if Obama has another book in the pipeline just waiting to be published?

message 4: by Tisha (new)

Tisha WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO! So Excited!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

People no matter your race you can look into children's eyes tomorrow morning and tell them "If you work hard you can be President to-morrow!"

Congrats everyone who voted!

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie All I can say is that it is a great moment in American history and I am so proud to have been a part of it!

message 7: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments I agree Stacie :)

message 8: by Suri (last edited Nov 04, 2008 09:13PM) (new)

Suri | 14 comments yay!!!! I am so exited this is really the start of something great! GO OBAMA!!!!!

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10108 comments Mod
Oh dear. Politics.... please be careful everyone. (wringing her sweaty palms)

This is def another date to remember in the history of America, isnt it?!

JG (Introverted Reader) YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm stuck alone at work with no one to celebrate with. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

History is made.

We have won.

WOOT!

message 12: by Marsha (new)

Marsha This is truly a triumph for the world.

I can't wait for the wheels of change to start turning.

Congratulations to President Elect Obama (I love saying that) and to us all for making the right choice.

message 13: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I was thinking the same Lori, be careful for some people who aren't that open-minded and who can't accept people having different thoughts...but this group would probably overcome that!
I am really glad that Obama won, curious about what he will do for America and the world but I am mainly glad that the Bush period is finished!!!
Good luck to all the Americans and hopefully, democrats and republicans, your country will become a good country to all of you!

message 14: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Obama Rocks !!

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) | 509 comments Yay Obama! I am so happy.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) as a 28 year old woman, I cannot believe Obama will be our president. There goes my husband's job. That is all I will say about that.

As for you who say be careful in regards to this discussion (Jeane specifically), take you own advice. I don't think it very "careful" to openly insult those who don't agree with you. I am open-minded and can accept different thoughts; this does not mean I have to agree with them!

message 17: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

and we're off....

Please, everyone, watch what you say and how you say it here. This can get very touchy and heated very quickly.

I do not want to see personal attacks in this thread.

That is all/the last I will say about this.

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments You see, Sarah I think we do understand each other. I have all the respect for your thoughts and views. I wasn't insulting anybody because each of us has the right to make their own decisions. If you thought I did, then I am really sorry.

I was just referring to other groups and threads where some people didn't respect people with different opnions. I think most people in this group are people who can accept that one person wants McCain as president, another one Barack and someone else probably soembody else again. That's the great thing of choise: we can all choose what we think will be best and appreciate that we can also think different. That's what makes the world interesting! Just like different views and opnions on books. :-)))

I don't only get on with people who think the same like me but also with people who think different!
So i do hope we can keep friendly to people who think different than ourselves.

message 19: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I worry about the complete change in direction that is likely to happen when we are winning a war on terror, stabilizing our financial system and striving for energy independence.

message 20: by Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (last edited Nov 05, 2008 05:14AM) (new)

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) Lori - I didn't mean to start anything. I do like Obama for sure, but I liked McCain too. I always saw him as a very personable and sincere man. So, as a non-American, last night, after the very exciting election I would have congratulated you Americans whoever had won.

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments yep, me too Petra! I mean the part of having congratulated the Americans, ebcause in the end we probably all hope that there will be a president that does good for the people of the country, whoever it is.

message 22: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) Jeane - I think Europeans and Americans are different not just in political thought but action too.

I think TNBBC is the best and friendliest group on GR and many of the interesting threads are people disagreeing and pointing their points and we are still all friends.

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Thats true Epee! It should be great to share our political and all the other differences we have and still stay crazy book friends! Americans and Europeans are very different, that's true but it would be a boring world if we would be all the same.

message 24: by Daybook (new)

Daybook | 66 comments Its a new era. All eyes will be focused on America now. Fantastic!!!!

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I just wanted to say that I'm glad to be part of this historical moment. I think he has and will continue to pave the way for our future generations. My hope is that he is able to live up to the world's expectations.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments We don't have to look back to see history. We just need to look forward and continue to make history. One day at a time will do it for me. What a class act! Thanks to all of you who voted (whichever side you were/are on). It's the caring and contribution to tomorrow that counts.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I am more proud of my country than at any other moment in our history. Last night was exhilarating. His speech was moving, and inspiring. An African-American President, amazing and so wonderful. I can't express it. Tears and more tears. Truly the beginning of something new and special in this America, I hope and pray.

Thank you Petra, and everyone across the world for your kind congratulations and well-wishes!

message 28: by Sera (new)

Sera I have no doubt that Obama will change America for the better and go down as one of the best Presidents in history. I'm pleased to see a fresh perspective and to let someone else have a turn at running this country. Regardless of your beliefs, today is a historic day in American history, and we should all be proud of our country.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

America has changed for the better overnight! Life is good. I sincerely hope that all of those who feel differently will find in the long run that this was a great moment in our history.

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) If I knew how to do a cartwheel I would.

The USA has Hope!!

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry LOL Emma! I feel the same way! I'm always having to remind myself I'm not American!

Congrats though guys!!! It was wonderful to be able to watch history being made last night. It was an amazing thing to witness and definitely worth staying up for!

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments :D I was BAWLING.

I was on YA for Obama and we're all like:

WE WON! WE DID IT.

Oh yes. We did.

message 33: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I can honestly say that this is the first time in my life that I've ever been actually proud to be American. I'm not quite sure how to react. Even though all the polls suggested it I still didn't think Obama would actually make it. I'm very shocked and very pleased.

message 34: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle I too am pround to be American, and be alive and coherent to tell my children I watched and was a part of history being written.

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I know Logan!

I feel like a American right now!

Everyone was saying that they were proud to be American.

One of them was saying "OMG, I CAN GO TO COLLEGE!"

It's just pure happiness.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I cried too. My whole family was so excited and happy. I would have loved to be part of that crowd in Chicago!

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I KNOW eh?

:D

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry LoL!

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Hahaha (G) Emma!

message 40: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments It's amazing what a difference 40 years can make:

Grant Park in 1968 during the Democratic Convention:
[image error]

Grant Park in 2008 during Obama's Victory Speech:

message 41: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments hey Logan, that's great two pictures with such a different image.

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) The second picture: It's a beautiful thing!

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Amazing Logan!

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) OMG Logan, that post made me start the tears all over again.

Oh, Fiona...here's hoping America will make us all proud again.

message 45: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I love the way we are all coming together on here to talk about history in the making. Whether this was something you voted on or voted against, you have to admit some pretty amazing things are happening right at this moment.

And Logan, thanks for posting those pictures. We have come a long way, as individuals and as a society. Its a beautiful thing.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Lori, how great it is to see a political comment from you!

(((((((HUGS)))))))

:)

Petra in Cancun being tortured by a dentist (petra-x) My mum just phoned me from Wales saying that she has been up half the night and in tears watching this historic event. She said she never thought she would see a black president of the USA in her lifetime and that America should be proud of itself and was rightfully the world leader among nations.

I'm just passing it on.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh Petra! Thank you.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) The link to his speech last night, in case anyone missed it. Such a sparkling speech, such a shining moment for our nation. Tremendous.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/...

message 50: by Arminius (last edited Nov 05, 2008 09:46AM) (new)

Arminius I am proud that we can elect a black man. I hope he does well. But I am equally as proud of America that we elected previously a president who kept us protected, fought off recession with economic policy, improved education, and made us think twice about social security.

And is never given due credit for a great job.

« previous 1 3 4 5