Between the Lines discussion

Archive > Books that have made you Cry.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

There are quite a few books that have made me cry: The Hiding Place, The Book Thief, One Tattered Angel, Little Women, & The Diary of Anne Frank.

message 2: by liz (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:38AM) (new)

liz (lizevans) The Return of the King, The Chronicles of Narnia, Banner in the Sky, New Moon, The Christmas Box

message 3: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse. This is the most beautiful and sad book, yet it won't leave you depressed.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I so totally forgot about the Christmas Box. I love that story.

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 11 comments Every single time I've read The Outsiders, I cry. I'm talking hysterically, tears just rolling down my face. My little sister always remembered that I cried everytime I read it, and so when she had to read it for high school, she was expecting to cry too. And she finished the book and asked me what the heck was wrong with me cuz she didn't cry at all. Not me, I balllll my eyes out every single time I've read it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love books that make me cry!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (fireheart223) | 5 comments Most recently, it was The Art of Racing in the Rain that had me choked up. It was such a heartwarming story.

Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes, also had me quite teary-eyed.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

A very good book. A cryer for sure. Even the movie was well done.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin Harry Potter, anyone? Book 7 - seveal times!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My Sister's Keeper.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Harry Potter 5-7. To Kill a Mockingbird. Gone With the Wind. All Quiet on the Western Front. Catch-22. The Things They Carried.

Those are all that I remember. I might cry when I finish Anna Karenina, but those will probably be tears of "Yay, I finally finished."

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker That one was so sad at the end! And yet so peaceful.

message 14: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (musshel) Lost for Christmas

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I might cry when I finally get done with Moby Dick!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Melville is extremely intelligent. It's hard to get through. You really really need to think when you read some of the sentences. I find myself falling asleep. You might be able to use this when you can't sleep. You should start it Fiona!!!

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I need to read Moby at some point in time too. I bought it and, as an English major, I feel I need to read it to be real.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I seem to cry more at the movies my self. But I have read several books that have made me sob my guts out.

message 19: by ReneeB (new)

ReneeB Off the top of my head, I cried during Cloud Nine (Luanne Rice) & PS I Love You (Cecilia Ahern).

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to read Peace Like a River this year. At least I know I'll most likely start sobbing!

message 21: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind I cried at the end of 'My Sister's Keeper'. Also, various times during 'The pig who sang to the moon' - but I often cry when the topic are animals and dogs in particular.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (ultimatebibliophile) | 36 comments I'm sure theres a book that made me cry once,but im afraid i dont remember it...sorry

message 23: by liz (new)

liz (lizevans) The last chapter of Return of the King when they are all saying goodbye at the docks. That is the saddest thing ever.

Petra bf in 2 days but I have lost my nerve (petra-x) The Diary of Anne Frank makes me cry. So does Ka-tzetnik 135633's House of Dolls which is about young girls in the concentration camps having to be forced prostitutes to the Nazis. I actually met one of these poor girls when I went to a kibbutz in Israel. She was head of the kitchens and a bitch. I don't blame her.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Petra: that sounds like a good book!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments There have been a few books that have made me cry. But the most recent would have to be The Host: A Novel. But another that I can think of was Sundays at Tiffany's. Both extraordinary books that I suggest reading! :)

message 27: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) PS I Love You,Harry Potter 6 and 7,Johnny Angel,I'm sure there are more but can't think of the titles right now.

message 28: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) All of James Herriot's books - All Things Bright and Beautiful etc, made me cry. Everything to do with animals suffering turns me into a softy.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 139 comments Hmm, I remember getting weepy in Cold Mountain. Of course, Anne Frank and Little Women did it to me. I'll have to think about some others. I know there have been more.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

message 31: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 3 comments The Notebook!
I was bawling!!!

message 32: by Dan (new)

Dan (The Ancient Reader) (theancientreader) The Brothers K, The Stolen Child, and We Were Soldiers Once.

message 33: by Terra Timmons (new)

Terra Timmons I heard that the Time Travelers Wife is a tear jerker! I can't read books that make me cry. Oh I can't stand crying, unless it's a happy cry.

As you all already know, The Diary of Anne Frank really had me going. New Moon got me too.

Now I was thinking about reading the book thief but, Emillee.. it made you cry? CRAP.. hahahah I might have to pass on that one. LOL

message 34: by Dessiree (new)

Dessiree (droman) | 5 comments I use to cry with the movies more than with the books, I cry with the English Patient

message 35: by JESSICA (new)

JESSICA (iamasuburbanmom) | 52 comments Emilee wrote: "My Sister's Keeper."

Me, too.
I didn't even like the ending, and it still made me cry

message 36: by JESSICA (new)

JESSICA (iamasuburbanmom) | 52 comments Bridgit wrote: "The Notebook!
I was bawling!!!"

Hi Bridgit,
I'm glad to see you say this. I also cried at the end of the the Notebook (on a NYC public bus, no less) even though I thought it was one of the cheesiest books I've read.

message 37: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 45 comments Crying in movies probably occur more often because humans (and a few other animals) have mirrior hormones, baisically it is our ability to empathize so when you see someone in distress you literally feel their distress. Or when you are at a game you get excited as the people around you get excited. Because you are seeing it.

And that may be why it's harder to cry in a book, because it takes more imagination and the writer has to make the charecter more believable.

Anyway as far as books I cried at; Peter Pan, Redwall, Les Miserable, The little Prince and The Giving Tree.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I cried when I first read Les Mis. Same with the Giving Tree! I love that book.

message 39: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (avigailr) There are many books that I cried well the last one was "The Eagles Die Free" it is a Greek book that I read. Well to tell the truth I easily cry in movies, but I can eaasily cry with a book.

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) My youngest son read The Giving Tree to me a few months ago and I almost cried.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet are two books I've read recently that made me cry.

message 42: by JESSICA (new)

JESSICA (iamasuburbanmom) | 52 comments Beth wrote: "My youngest son read The Giving Tree to me a few months ago and I almost cried."

My husband has re-christened that book The Ungrateful Boy

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vicki507) Books generally don't make me cry as much as they make me sort of weepy and gasp out loud saying "Oh my God"! I also became emotional when reading [image error] and Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks I think that these are two really great books.

message 44: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 5 comments For One More Day, Angela's Ashes, The Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns. Me Talk Pretty One Day made me laugh so hard, I was crying. Oh and I can't read Love You Forever to my son without tears.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments His Dark Materials, Phillip Pullman. I can't remember if it's the second or third book, but when Mr. Scoresby and Hester die, it was so sparely written and devastating. I'm not a big book crier, but The Help also really got to me recently.

message 47: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (shawtygurl15) For me it would have to be...Age of Innocence, The Notebook & A Prayer for Owen Meany...

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I have several.

The Book Thief
The Outsiders
The Diary of Anne Frank
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Little Women
Charlotte's Web (recently read to my daughters and we all cried)
Harry Potter 7 - several times

message 49: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind I'll have to add 'Marley and Me' to my list. Also, years ago when I read 'Dancing with Wolves', there's a scene with the wolf that also had me bawling my eyes out.

message 50: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" ... mankind is often so cruel ;o(