FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > Turkey Day - Tips and Tricks...

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) So, the dreaded Thanksgiving Holiday was mentioned in one of the posts, and I know I am going to have to start early on the strategizing so any Tips, Tricks, or recipe suggestions are welcome here!!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* It's my favorite holiday. I don't know what I'm going to do. Prolly eat then be good after.

message 3: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I think I learned a valuable lesson yesterday... I participated in a Pot Luck Lunch at work, and I had one stuffed shell, about 6 small turkey meatballs, some corn casserole, and a little dessert, and you know what I found... I was uncomfortably full off of food that would have merely been an appetizer portion for me a few months ago. That said, I don't think I am going to have any problems scaling back for Thanksgiving!!!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Exactly! It's just another meal on another day, right? No need to gorge yourself. And the thing is, the less you eat on Thanksgiving day, the more leftovers you have and can make the celebration last LONGER!!! I think it'll be an issue of portion control for me. And I think I'm going to have to cook my own dinner anyway--vegetarianism has its ups and downs...

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli I eat like a vegetarian would on Thanksgiving anyways...I hate turkey. :) I never pig out because all I eat are the mashed potatoes and the green beans!!

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I'm a vegetarian, Holli...and I still can eat like crap:)

I think I'm going to focus on eating well the days before and after Thanksgiving so I don't have to worry too much on the actual day (which is actually the day before for our family, to be specific).:)

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I can defintely see how you could RA because I can really pack away the pasta and bread and ...... LOL

I think your idea sounds great. One good cheating day won't kill ya!!

message 8: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) OK - you shouldn't have to be a member to see this... but here is a link that shows some simple tips and tricks to manage Thanksgiving day...

There are also some recipe substitutions that help make some dishes healthier... If anyone has trouble seeing anything on here, just shoot me an email and I will pull out what you are looking for.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/ar...

mary elizabeth  Williams hi! i have a plan for this thanksgiving, now I just need to stick with it.
i registered for a 10K race on the day of thanksgiving. this will keep me from over eating, and over drinking wine, the night before, and counteract anything that i might eat on thanksgiving.
at the same time, the training is helping me keep on track with the exercise. i keep thinking: i proposed to my whole family to do this 10K, and i want to be able to finish it myself. that is pretty big motivation.
i also plan to enjoy myself, and not be to concerned about the calories or fat. instead, i am focusing on small portions and really tasting the foods. since these are foods i don't eat in my daily life, i want to enjoy the meal and my family. i have been really inspired by the book French Women Don't get Fat, and it has majorly changed the way i think about eating and food (i would suggest it to everyone).
as long as i follow this plan, i believe i will be fine.
does anyone else have a plan?

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That's awesome Beth!!! Good Luck to you in the 10K race!!! All of that training/exercise will certainly counteract any meal you can possibly eat that day!!!

I am going to check out that book... I think you (or someone else) mentioned that on here before...

As for me, my plans aren't THAT ambitious... I am just planning to actually take out the measuring cups and have normal servings of the things I like. When I looked at the points on the WW site for what I was planning to eat, I was surprised that they came in a lot lower than I was expecting.

I might even make a second plate up to take home with me, but all small/reasonable portions.

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Well everyone... I won't have a computer for the next day or so, but I wanted to check in and wish you all a good holiday!

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony You too, Trudy! Everybody have a great Thanksgiving.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

I hope it was a SMASHING Thanksgiving all 'round! I went to my parents' on Wednesday afternoon and my brother and his girlfriend arrived Thursday afternoon. (My sis lives in Baltimore and couldn't make it. :( boo.) Anyway, it was so quiet and peaceful and everybody got along (a difficult feat for my brother and me, even though we love each other dearly). There was lots of food to be had, and even though I wasn't on my best behavior, I also wasn't on my worst! We cut calories in some of the dishes, I forced myself to eat more veggies and less bread, and I didn't eat until I wanted to explode. 3 baby steps that, perhaps didn't help me in the weight loss department, but they sure did wonders for the self-control department! :)

Gobble gobble y'all!

message 14: by Amanda (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:40AM) (new)

Oh! Also, my mom and I were in a marathon read-off. I found out when I arrived at their house that she and I were both reading New Moon (Twilight book 2), so we sat on the couch reading as fast as we could on Wednesday night. And we giggled a lot through "what page are you on?" "Ha! I'm ahead!" It was silly fun.

message 15: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) We actually had a good day too... my nephews were in from school and miraculously my sister didn't get me in trouble with my mom (she always gets me laughing over something stupid and my mom thinks we are laughing at her, so I get in trouble - sigh)

There were no good movies in, so the tradition of Thanksgiving movie had to be skipped (darn Harry Potter for moving to the summer).

Too funny Amanda - I actually boutgh New Moon on Saturday at Sam's so I am going to rip through that this week. I should finish the other one that I started, but I can't seem to resist the pull of the vampire books.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

I hear ya. There's just something about 'em. Same reason I can't stop reading the Alias prequels. Anyway, it'll only take you about fifteen minutes to read New Moon from cover to cover. You'll be back to your other one in no time. Hee hee hee!

message 17: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I actually read about 10 minutes of New Moon and 20 minutes of my other one last night... I have been struggling to find time to read it even though it is really good. I am going to "go to bed" early this week so I can bang out both of them by Friday!

message 18: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Did I mention - I HATE this new format... it is killing me!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

I've heard both ways. Some people hate, some people love. I love!

What do you hate about it?

message 20: by Amanda (new)

PS. I kinda want to "go to bed" right now. I could curl up all afternoon and be a happy gal!

message 21: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I am getting these crazy random messages from different things and it is annoying. I think they reset everything by group AND by topic. So every thread has options to get emails daily, weekly, etc. and all my settings are on instantaneous. I have a crap load of emails and I keep resetting everything to none but it is taking forever to clean them all up.

message 22: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) not to mention that when you put a new comment in it comes in at the bottom of the page when the sort is going the other way and there is no more add a comment in the postings... grrr... I don't mind change as a general rule, but this has been a tad bit annoying...

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Oh yeah, the fifty zillion emails thing is annoying. Did you figure out how to go into "my account; notifications" to turn the email off? You still have to go in and clean the ones you registered for, unfortunately.

I see what you mean my "no more add a comment in the postings." I never used that feature, so I didn't even notice it was gone.

Is it working out any better for you today??? *fingers crossed*

message 24: by Amanda (new)

TRUDY! I just noticed the "reply" option at the bottom of everyone's posts. Is that useful to you?

message 25: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) After two days of being locked out of the my account settings, I think I got everything cleaned up. I also did find the "post a comment" link at the top of the page now instead of at the end of each post. Progress!!!