Science Fiction Films discussion

Science Fiction Novels > Infinite Jest (David Foster Wallace)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 166 comments Anyone know it? David Foster Wallace's magnum opus, one of the most magnum of opi, certainly has some SF elements in it. The novel, when it was published, was set in the near future (certain of the novel's events are happening as you read this), and features some advanced technology that probably won't be developed any time soon (I hope and pray).

The novel most famously features a movie that is so incredibly entertaining that spectators lose all interest in anything else after viewing it. There's much more to it than that, though, as Wallace guides us through an incredibly detailed picture of people desperately trying to lead lives as thinking feeling adults, while struggling with the temptations (sexual, chemical, aesthetic) that would distract them from leading their lives to the fullest.

I love this novel like few others. I've plowed through it 4 times. I read selected favorite bits over and over. It is one of the few novels that actually makes me laugh out loud. And it is definitely on my radar for future reads. Don't be put off by the extreme length and perceived difficulty. Once you get your bearings and used to Wallace's unique style, you'll find yourself as hooked on the novel INFINITE JEST as Wallace's characters are on the film INFINITE JEST.

Buy it, read it. You're already living it.

message 2: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 342 comments Mod
Thanks Tom, I'll add to my reading list! I just picked up a copy of a Robin Wood book that you recommended and must finish that first..the title escapes me at the moment.

message 3: by Erik (new)

Erik (erikb2000) I love the book, too. In my opinion it's a dystopian novel of the near future (much more uncomfortably near, unlike 1984 and Brave New World). It's a Tocquevillian future of American "soft despotism" or where we live down to the tyranny of our lowest impulses, through an entertainment society. I was glad to see it here in a science fiction forum, and Pynchon too!

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip So many of my friends have raved about this book, I'm going to add it to my summer reading list. Thanks for the review, Tom!

message 5: by Tom (last edited Jun 15, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Tom | 166 comments Philip, check this out---

http://infinitesummer.org/about

and there's also this, which seems to be related to the above:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

Good people are involved. Worth thinking about joining or at least following.