Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Presidents, politicians and the books they read

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I just read this very interesting article in the Sunday New York Times. It talks about different presidents throughout history and books that they read and their influence. A very interesting sidebar on John McCain. It said that they way he got through his five years as a POW was to remember scenes from books he read and act them out in his mind. He said that if he didn't have these books(in his mind) he would have never survived.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments that's really cool..I mean..I have always thought that books are powerful..they have the ability to speak to the human heart and to put people at peace and take people into another world.

What were some of the other books/presidents that were mentioned?

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/boo...

This is the article. If is the back page of the book review section.

Obama's reading were reported to be more drawn to stories sympathetic to the working classes than McCain.

message 4: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments OK, can I just say that I love your picture, Meg, but am still trying to get used to NOT picturing you as a cat??? lol

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Did you guys know that Obama has a GR account?!

Happily he is reading nothing right now....has other things to focus on. Sadly, the 11 books on his Read list are books written by or about him.

Don't know if McCain has an account.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments That is very interesting Roxy, how did you find that out?

Cyn you are funny, I still can getting katty at times!

message 7: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Meg, I found it totally by accident. I was browsing in the Meet People area, clicked on Top Profiles and guess who had the #1 profile (decided by # of views in a week.).

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments I wonder if he really created it?

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Meg, Thanks for sharing the NYT article, I printed it out and shared it with co-workers!

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I glad you were able to get to it. I found it very interesting

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments I can't decide if he really made it. There was a normal novel in his To-read, maybe he really did make the profile but the Read list was filled with stuff about him alright, that sounds like a campaign slug.

message 12: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I went and read it, I think it is a fake. Maybe I am just a cynic.