New Moon (Twilight, #2) New Moon discussion

Sick And Tired

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Caroline To Be honest, i am apalled by the vast number of swooning tennagers that were actually surprised with the opening of the book. Edward leaving was completely inevitable and totally predictable. Anybody here watch Buffy - follows that story-line?

Bella did become a whiny, moping teen, but we must remember that age seventeen she had already fallen in love, yadda, yadda, yadda, and i think it wasin her nature by then to be spoiled. She was accustomed to constant attention, and i think she was missing that as much as she was missing Edward.

The book as a whole was a good read, and opened new possiblities in the depths of love. I reccomend the book to any reader, male or female, mostly female cuz it's sort of a chick-flick though.

I like Edward, but i also agree with others when they say that Jzcob is a much more well-rounded character. Edward continually has corny lines or over exaggerated feelings. I find that Jacob is more realistic and a more amusing read.

Although Jacob is a more believable character, I think the series will end with Bella and Edward together. Stephenie Meyer's main incentive is to please her audience, and it seems that the majority of Meyer's fans think Edward is the better match.

Woot, woot, Stephenie Meyer, you got millions of people hooked onto a vamp series and then introduced a werewolf as the second love. Pure brilliance.

message 2: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Caroline Dum de dum...A Really good book and enticing read.

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Danielle Briggs Personally I think that Edward should go away, yes in truth he is sexi. But he is to fantasy there is know such thing as a guy that hot (iwish). Jacob is more believable but it makes it all the more interesting with them both so i can't really complain

message 4: by Chloe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chloe No! Edward is amazing, great guy and I believe all men should be more like him! Please,'good read'ers join my plight. There is more to Edward than what meets the eye (has anyone wondered what he looks like in a gym uniform?!)
-Chloe`

message 5: by Stevie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stevie Of course there's no such thing as a guy that attractive...theres also no such thing as vampires and werewolves. It's a fantasy story. Edward is supposed to be unrealistic, the perfect image most teenage girls want (excluding the fact he could kill with one movement)Thats Edwards appeal.

message 6: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Caroline Yes, he is supposed to resemble the idealistic 'boyfriend' and he does in a way. I agree that his appeal is his complete and utter perfection. Although, I think teenage girls like the fact that he can kill in a single swipe. That makes him dangerous, and every girl want to tame the bad boy. I think the best boyfriend for bella would be a nice blend of both Jacob and Edward, maybe in the last book they'll miraculously fuse together and Bella will be left with a two for one deal....that would be very strange.

message 7: by Mandi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Mandi Connell I love Edward! I didn't like this one as much as Twilight because he wasn't in it as much. But still a fabulous book. Edward is the perfect guy, and i wish guys were all like that.

message 8: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Caroline I don't think you really want all guys to be like that. If they were, one, you wouldn't appreciate the perfection, and two, perfection can become exceedingly boring.

The Book Posh WOW! The characters are nowhere near as sappy as the characters in a Danielle Steele novel.I agree with Stevie. It's a fantasy. An escape for readers. Isn't that what reading is all about? I'll take a guy like Edward (minus the venom coated teeth) anyday!!

Midori To teen girls, Edward is the perfected boyfriend that we all know that we want. The lack of Edward in New Moon, i believe made the readers less attached Edward and more towards Jacob(obviously). Readers also then started to see Bella as a less rounded character.

But still I adore the series.

message 11: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby Edward is everything that every girl wants, myself included. That's why we all hate Bella so much, she got him not us. Grrr... Jacob is the buddy you hang around with in the back yard fooling with the hose. On whole, an allright book (writing-wise) but great in the fact that it got so many more people to read books.

Vettech2124 I read thru all the comments, and I realize by saying this I am going to sound like a broken record but who cares, all Edward haters need it drilled into their heads: This book is fantasy!!!!! As much as I wish vampires like the Cullens were real and boys like Edward existed, they don't. Which makes this book great! Edward is ALLOWED to be perfect b/c the book is fiction. Bella (although I really like her the way she is b/c I can totally relate) is ALLOWED to be a less then well-rounded character. This book opens people's imagination, and I am not pointing fingers here but some people have the door to their imagination bolted up and locked 20 times!!!
I believe everyone has the right to their own opinion so I won't try to change yours (not talking to anyone in particular) but I just want people to see different perspectives of the book. It's great fantasy that allows your desires and dreams to come true! Every girl (again, broken record) wants perfection like Edward and these books give it to them!
Sorry for chattin for so long, got a lil lost!
L8r
=)
<3

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

i also think that edward is like... the perfect guy 4 any girl...
its just 2 bad cuz he really doesn't exist...

it isn't that bad of a series, ppl!!! i mean i defenitly agree, it's kinda weird cuz is IS fiction!!!!

:-/

message 14: by Saya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Saya Fantasy nor fiction is an excuse and the fact that anyone resorts to using them as excuses means they can't make an argument. To demean an entire form of art and a genre is terrible and not justifiable as fantasy does still need a continuity to keep us interested. It's what separates published work from really bad fan fiction like Twilight- or what should separate them.

message 15: by Swati (last edited May 07, 2008 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Swati Vats The part that bugged me the most was that it wasn't just Edward leaving. It was the fact that he didn't return to the scene till page 400 something. That's an awful long time to wait for the character that practically made made me fall in love with the series in the first place.

message 16: by Meh (new)

Meh About the entire "it's fiction, he's allowed to be perfect" thing...it's just my personal preference, but I like incredibly creative settings and plotlines, with real characters. Perfect characters just get boring after a while. It's not so much that "my imagination's closed" as that flawed, realistic characters can be related with and are so much more interesting. Doesn't matter if he's vampire, werewolf, alien, or human, as long as his personality is plausible and real to me, I like the character.

Clare D' Lune I don’t think anything should be absolutely perfect, even in fantasy, but I think Edward wasn't perfect. Hs was overcautious and controlling, but I still liked him. I like the series but I didn't like Jacob. Even in the beginning. I felt that when Bella got her 'close' moments with Jacob, she was cheating on Edward somehow...

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I *please don't shoot be* am a JacobxBella fan. I think most of the Edward fans are the people who can believe him. And I believe him...sorta.

But you gotta understand, the two can be ridiculous. First, he leaves her after promising forever. Not that we didn't know that he would leave, but still. Even vampires are human enough to be a-holes.

Jacob is the sort of person I can love because I believe him. No love-at-first-sight nonsense. It takes time to trust. And what in the name of the Goddess was Edward doing when he left!?!? Unfortunately, I predicted/understood this, but it still makes him a butt-face.

But...because I love him, too...

I forgive you. ^-^

Lauren I loved new moon just because it showed how good Jacob can be. I really can't choose between him or Edward! I love them both! I'm just glad that it showed how fun and cute Jacob is! (But i was sad when Edward left.)I'm so indecisive!!!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

All of you saying that every girl knows she wants Edward is totally wrong! I hate Edward completly! Just because it's a fictional story does not mean he can be "perfect"! And I agree with meh! His "perfection" just makes him even more boring! he has nothing that makes him an indevidual! he's just edward cullen. And even being a vampire doesn't make him his own person because vampires are everywhere in the book! So, edward's not perfect and his "perfection" only makes him more un-perfect(is that a word?)! It's a little confusing, but what i get is that edward's fake perfection makes him non-perfect...right?....right!

message 21: by Danica (new)

Danica the first book was fine and a good read, but the rest of the sequals just died on me. bella's constant whining about her undecided love for one of the boys is soo annoying!! maybe its just me but the sequals were terribly annoying.

Christy Edward is the boring and handsome guy that you desperately want until you have him. Then you have nothing in common, he isn't fun to hang out with, and you find yourself longing for someone less handsome and more fun. I dated THAT guy. I swear. It's so boring.

Jacob was fun and funny. He is closer to what you'd want in a healthy relationship. A good guy who gives you space, loves you unconditionally and is enjoyable to be with.

For Edward, the pretty will never end, but neither will the boring and stalker-y personality. Eccch. Edward is exactly the kind of guy an undiscerning teenage girl would want and he's exactly the guy a naive girl doesn't need. Books and books of a teenage girl telling herself that she isn't good enough for this good looking guy? Just awful. Having someone stare at you while you sleep is creepy. If his chest is marble hard, how could that be comfortable to snuggle up against? Perfect boyfriend? No. Annoying, un-snuggly creepy bore? Absolutely.

There was never one scene where Edward and Bella simply enjoyed each others company. Anytime they were alone Bella is filled with anxiety that he is leaving her, will do better than her, blah blah blah. I think Bella just needs to be single and get some self esteem.

Fallenangel I don't agree with you at all Lily.
[Nothing Personal:]
I think that this was not one of the better ones just because Edward leaves. that was tragic.
But what I found from Edward leaving was that Bella actually had time to THINK.

Bella in a way only thinks about herself. She sunk Jacob into a great depression when she stopped hanging out with him.

But by far this book won me over, it was a complete and total inspiration.