Science Fiction Films discussion

Dark City

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
Hi guys! I would love to see what everyone thinks about one of the best contemporary SF films out there?

Personally, Id say it rotates around in my top three.

What do you all think?

Has anyone seen the director's cut yet (came out a couple months ago)?

message 2: by Alex DeLarge (last edited Nov 03, 2008 06:26PM) (new)

Alex DeLarge | 342 comments Mod
I need to give this one another chance. Last year, I tried watching it but thought it was shot like a bad "Made-for-TV" drama and never finished it. Now, I can't offer any true insight until I watch the entire film. It's on my list to see again since being released on Blu-ray.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 166 comments Tried watching it, wasn't impressed, some pretty design but just lost interest. Another of those movies that Roger Ebert mysteriously names Best Of The Year.

message 4: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
To the people upset at Kiefer [pant:] [pant:] Sutherland's [pant:] narration, GET THE DIRECTORS CUT! Betcha didnt know the prostitute had a daugher didja! Well, get the director's cut!

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I turned this film on by mistake so missed the first bit of narration.
I really liked it and wanted the DVD am glad I waited and will now get the Director's Cut

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip ok, i am officially in search of the director's cut.

message 7: by Erik (last edited Jan 29, 2009 07:27AM) (new)

Erik (erikb2000) Hi, I just caught the director's cut last night. It is much better and smoother than the theatrical version and the way the plot is revealed much cleverer. The film is beautifully shot and just bursting with ideas and philosophical themes like nature v. nurture, free will, the nature of time and memory, self, Nietzschean self-creating values, I could really go on. I first saw it in the theatre in New York and it expressed the life of the habituated city dweller to a T. The extra features are fun too, where the director and the writers talk about how the studio execs were utterly baffled by the film and finally marketed it as a horror movie! Is there some requirement that you have to be an idiot to work in Hollywood? I guess so.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I just got this movie from Netflix... Excited!

message 9: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
Nice post, Erik. Sad that if a film doesnt fit into a pre-ordained slot then it cant be put out without major hurdles.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip word.

message 11: by Erik (new)

Erik (erikb2000) Incidentally, a similar story ensued in the making of Brazil. There is a doc on the director's cut called "Battle of Brazil" that relates Terry Gilliam's struggle w/ the studio execs and how he beat them with creativity and nose-pulling.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip that's a great doc.

message 13: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
Gilliam *always* struggles trying to make *every* film that he makes. Has anyone here seen Lost In La Mancha? Great documentary.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip lost in la mancha was on my got to see it list, but somehow i've never got around to it. i have to remember to put it in my queue. thanks for reminding me, ubik!

message 15: by Erik (new)

Erik (erikb2000) I did. Very funny.

message 16: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 342 comments Mod
Very good doc, made me wish for the completed film. Even the few filmed scenes conveyed Gilliam's unique perspective.