What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Kids book - boy with a baby brother and divorced parents

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Diane | 12 comments What I remember about this book: the main character had a baby brother (18 mos or so) whom his father insisted on calling Socrates, even though he had a "normal" name, which I can't recall. The parents were divorced, or at least separated, and the father called the kid Socrates as a way to get back at his wife because she hated it. They lived somewhere "back East" - NYC? Hopefully this is of some help ....

message 2: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments Hi Diane! Could it be Aurora and Socrates by Anna Catherine Vestly? Here's the plot summary from Children's Literature Comprehensive Database: "While their parents are working full time, Aurora and her little brother Socrates cope with their babysitters." There's another book about the same kids, called Hello, Aurora. Here's the plot summary, again from CLCD: "While mother works, Aurora, father, and baby Socrates, manage the household very well--something neighbors have difficulty understanding and accepting."

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Diane | 12 comments Wow, I kinda forgot I posted this on here - thanks for replying! I think the main character was a boy, but it was a while ago. I also seem to remember that the father was a "stay at home" dad - maybe he worked from home? so they might not have baby sitters. Also, it says on Amazon that this book is baby-preschool reading age. I think this might have been for kids who were just starting to read "chapter books." But. I am going to track this book down anyway, just to make sure. Thanks a lot!!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36940 comments Mod
Aurora and Socrates for Krista's suggestion.

Here's the Kirkus review:

Another turning point for the new-style family first met in Hello Aurora (1974) when they moved into the tall apartment building between a big town (Oslo) and a forest. As mother works and daddy, a graduate student, doesn't, it seems natural to have him taking care of things at home; but then Daddy is called at the same time to ""defend his thesis"" and to lecture part-time at the University, and Aurora and her little brother Socrates have to adjust to a round of babysitters. There's a grandmother of eight, from the house in the forest, who is afraid of the elevator and the balcony but ends up proudly obtaining a driver's license. There is Uncle Brande who spends the day at Aurora's unaware of the extra little girl she has ""rescued"" from a family move and hidden in her closet. There is Daddy's mother and the friend who arrives with her by train and gets locked in a cattle car with Socrates, who must have a ride. And, coming and going through it all, there's still Daddy, who gives everyone something to celebrate when he passes his examination and returns home from a two-week absence. Amusing and likable.