Children's Literature Awards, LLED Fall 08 discussion

Sharon > Teta International Adoption Award

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (last edited Nov 03, 2008 10:55AM) (new)

Sharon Green | 13 comments

Jan M. Czech
Child Welfare League of America, Inc.
440 First Street, NW, Third Floor
Washington, DC 20001-2085

Dear Jan Czech,

Congratulations! You have won the Teta International Adoption Award. This award is created in honor of my dear friend and mentor who has been trying for years to internationally adopt a child. The award celebrates the best picture book that shares the experience of a family with an internationally adopted child. The purpose of this award is to give deeper insight into the lives of nontraditional families, especially the lives of the adopted children.
The initiation of the award comes from a project in Penn State Altoona’s children’s literature analysis curriculum. Each student chooses an award topic that is meaningful to them. Their classmates read multiple books matching the award criteria and nominate their favorite book for the award. The award creator selects the winner from those nominations. The book award winners and their nominators are revealed during a Children’s Literature Awards Ceremony at the Altoona Area Public Library.
I consider The Coffee Can Kid to be a perfect match for the Teta International Adoption Award. The story shares the child’s heritage while honoring the wisdom, courage, and sacrifice of the birth mother and grandmother. Meanwhile, the story immerses the reader in the touching and joy filled reminiscing of Annie and her father. It embodies the compassion, respect, and grace that I know my dear friend will share with her adopted child.
How exciting and delightful, just this week I received an invitation to a baby shower for Teta and the baby she is adopting from Vietnam! This tender story will be one of the treasured gifts.
Jan, I thank you for your heart centered writing on this topic. Several of my priorities as a teacher include teaching acceptance, celebrating our lives, and expanding awareness of social issues. This book will be a jewel in my children’s literature collection. I look forward to reading Grace Happens and would be delighted to hear back from you.

With Smiles,

Sharon L. Green

message 2: by Sharon (last edited Nov 03, 2008 10:54AM) (new)

Sharon Green | 13 comments

Patricia Polacco
118 Barry Street
Union City, MI 49094

Dear Patricia,

Congratulations! You been selected as an honorable mention for the Teta International Adoption Award. This award is created in honor of my dear friend and mentor who has been trying for years to internationally adopt a child. The award celebrates the best picture book that shares the experience of a family with an internationally adopted child. The purpose of this award is to give deeper insight into the lives of nontraditional families, especially the lives of the adopted children.
The initiation of the award comes from a project in Penn State Altoona’s children’s literature analysis curriculum. Each student chooses an award topic that is meaningful to them. Their classmates read multiple books matching the award criteria and nominate their favorite book for the award. The award creator selects the winner from those nominations. The book award winners, honorable mentions, and nominators are revealed during a Children’s Literature Awards Ceremony at the Altoona Area Public Library.
Possibly at this point and understandably so, you are wondering what book of yours met this criteria. Well, under the heading of reverse adoption, Mrs. Katz and Tush is truly a winner. This story touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. To not appreciate and honor the friendship adoptions and meaningful relationships taking place between an elderly woman, boy, and kitten in this story would be remiss. Patricia, I thank you for the heart centered writing on your heritage. Several of my priorities as a teacher include teaching acceptance, celebrating our lives, and expanding awareness of social issues. This book will be a jewel in my children’s literature collection. I have become a fan and would be delighted to hear back from you.
How exciting and delightful, just this week I received an invitation to a baby shower for Teta and the baby she is adopting from Vietnam! This tender story celebrating Mrs. Katz and Larnel’s heritage will be one of the treasured gifts.

With Smiles,

Sharon L. Green