Bound Together discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Other Reads > Other Reads-What Have You Read?

Comments (showing 951-1,000 of 1,264) (1264 new)    post a comment »

message 951: by Renee (new)

Renee (ReneeBuerkle) Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it off. There's been so much hype, good and bad.

message 952: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1357 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Ok, I've added a bunch of books recently mentioned, so thanks to all of you!

I finished The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens, a funny kid's book about an 11 year old boy (Kevin) and his beagle ..."

I love Flavia. I only read the first one, but she has stayed with me.

message 953: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Finished The River Witch by Kimberly Brock and it was delightful. Review http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13.... Also finished Home by Toni Morrison, gave this one four stars. Will review after Alena reads it. Now reading The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan and An Unexpected Guest by Anne Korkeakivi. Also reading After the Fog by Kathleen Shoop for review.

message 954: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments Renee wrote: "Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it off. There's been so much hype, good and bad."

I know there are a couple of people that are planning in reading it soon: Sandi & Britany

message 955: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Ok, I've added a bunch of books recently mentioned, so thanks to all of you!

I finished The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens, a funny kid's book about an 11 year old boy (Kevin) and his beagle (C..."

Is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley a lighthearted, fun read?

message 956: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Renee wrote: "Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it off. There's been so much hype, good and bad."

Renee, I'm reading this now... I know a couple of us are reading it or finished recently. I heard mixed reviews as well, and I just HAD to pick it up to see for myself what all the hype is about... I did set the bar pretty low... and so far (I'm a little more than 1/2way through) it's pretty entertaining.

message 957: by Britany (last edited May 02, 2012 06:01PM) (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Diane wrote: "Finished The River Witch by Kimberly Brock and it was delightful. Review http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13.... Also finishedgave this one four stars. Will review..."

Diane, I always want to add ALL your books to my TBR!! For the most part they always sound so interesting!. For now, I added The River Witch and An Unexpected Guest can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! Thanks for sharing :)

message 958: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2530 comments Mod
Connieb wrote: "Ok, based on all the excitement here, I picked up A Land More Kind Than Home: A Novel yesterday! It'll be a short while before I can get to it though..."

I added it to my TBR list the other day too, way too many great sounding reads in this thread, all the time!

message 959: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1357 comments Sandra wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Ok, I've added a bunch of books recently mentioned, so thanks to all of you!

I finished The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens, a funny kid's book about an 11 year old boy (Kevin) ..."

Well, it's a murder mystery, not a comedy exactly, but I would still say it's fun a light-hearteded. Not blood and gore, plenty of humor, some sense of danger and whole lot of Flavia. If you love her, you love the book.

message 960: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Deb wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Ok, based on all the excitement here, I picked up A Land More Kind Than Home: A Novel yesterday! It'll be a short while before I can get to it though..."

I added it to my TBR li..."

I know, I just keep adding book after book, lol, I really need to get reading!

message 961: by Merce (last edited May 03, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Merce | 43 comments I also added A Land More Kind Than Home A Novel by Wiley Cash
and Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed because of the comments posted on this thread.
Thanks ladies, what a great influence you are! I have had Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James in my TBR for a while, indecisive about it and looking forward to what you have to say.

message 962: by Renee (new)

Renee (ReneeBuerkle) Britany wrote: "Renee wrote: "Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it off. There's been so much hype, good and bad."

..."

I have just pursued it, and going to start it tonight!

message 963: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments Alena wrote: "Sandra wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Ok, I've added a bunch of books recently mentioned, so thanks to all of you!

I finished The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens, a funny kid's book about an 11 year o..."

Thanks, Alena. I now have a shelf for lighter reads for those times when I just can't get into a heavier topic, so I will add this to it.

message 964: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Renee wrote: "Britany wrote: "Renee wrote: "Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it off. There's been so much hype, ..."

YAY!! I'm almost finished and its ALOT better than I thought, although their still are some aspects.... Can't wait to see what you ladies think... ;)

message 965: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Sandra wrote: "Alena wrote: "Sandra wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Ok, I've added a bunch of books recently mentioned, so thanks to all of you!

I finished The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens, a funny kid's book abou..."

Sandra, that's a great idea!! I need to do that too!! The lighter reads are good for audiobooks I find. thanks for the tip!!

message 966: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments Britany wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Alena wrote: "Sandra wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Ok, I've added a bunch of books recently mentioned, so thanks to all of you!

I finished The Fast and the Furriest by Andy Behrens, a funny ..."

Sure :)

message 967: by Renee (new)

Renee (ReneeBuerkle) Britany wrote: "Renee wrote: "Britany wrote: "Renee wrote: "Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it off. There's been ..."

I just finished the first book. Wow! It certainly grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. I look forward to reading the next book.

message 968: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Finished One Breath Away which comes out on June 26th. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... Now reading Lyrics Alley: A Novel for my in person book group. Also reading True Sisters and The Song of Achilles and for review Operation Napoleon.

message 969: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Renee wrote: "Britany wrote: "Renee wrote: "Britany wrote: "Renee wrote: "Have any of you read Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and what are your thoughts? I'm thinking about reading it but keeping pushing it of..."

I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James last night!! I agree with you Renee. I'll be posting my review and more thoughts here later today ... stay tuned :)

message 970: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Diane wrote: "Finished One Breath Away which comes out on June 26th. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... Now reading Lyrics Alley: A Novel for my in person book group. Also reading True Sisters and ..."

Just added One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkaufto my TBR! Thanks Diane

message 971: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Here's my review for Fifty Shades of Grey

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I can't wait for you all to finish up and let me know what you thought!!

Next up: The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay I love her other book Sarah's Key and I found this on the shelf while I was at the library and HAD to pick it up!! Anyone read it already?

message 972: by ✿Sandra (last edited May 05, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments Britany, this is in response to your post. I tried to reply to it, but Goodreads kept acting up.

I have not read it. I did read A Secret Kept A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay by her, and although I didn't like it as much as Sarah's Key, it was a good book. I would love to know what you think of The House I Loved when you are done.

message 973: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 633 comments Guess what I'm finally reading!? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling!

Now that they're finally out in e-reader format, I think I'll finally finish the series. I don't have to carry around a 700 page book!

Someone else mentioned on here that their "currently reading" shelf is where books go to die. That's how I feel about mine. I'm so excited to start a book, and then I find so many other books that I seem to be more interested in at the time! So, Moloka'i by Alan Brennert has been great so far, but it's been pushed aside by others. ;)

message 974: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Sandra wrote: "Britany, this is in response to your post. I tried to reply to it, but Goodreads kept acting up.

I have not read it. I did read A Secret KeptA Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay by her, and although I didn..."

Sandra, I will keep you posted. I haven't read

A Secret Kept yet, but it's on my TBR. So many books to get to, so little time ;)

message 975: by ✿Sandra (last edited May 06, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments Stephanie wrote: "Guess what I'm finally reading!? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling!

Now that they're finally out in e-reader format, I think I'll finally finish the series. I don't have to carry a..."

Books also seem to go to my TBR and die. I rarely end up reading one from there. After I fit in my book club book and any books I want to read for Bound Together, there isn't much time left in the month. The majority of those books are chosen by someone else, so they usually aren't on my TBR.

One reason I like the new author read is because I was able to choose a book from my TBR by Kristin Hannah. I also have a book by each of the authors that are in first and second place for next month, so it looks like I might be able to read another from my TBR in June.

Even though I rarely get to books from my TBR, I enjoy my book club and Bound Together because they make me branch out to books I might not have read otherwise. With the new author read for Bound Together, I can now do both!

message 976: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

♥ Sandi ❣	 | 12448 comments Mod
Sandra - I am amazed...LOL !! No comment on the Harry Potter series - you are the "Potter Queen" ya know...LOL !!!

message 977: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

I agree you with Sandra - I like the author pick - I have so many books by so many authors on my shevles - not only the BT TBR shelf, but the shelves that sit behind me as I write, are buldging and I know most of those books are not on my TBR shelf on BT. Plus I still have another TBR list that I have not yet imported to GRs. I am hoping there are a lot of duplicates in that list. But author reads should almost...almost...always be a selection from my bookshelf.

When our selection process comes up with books I have read in the past - or a genre that I really have no interest in, I immediately go to my shleves. I have grown by taking a chance on a book selected that I was not aware of, but I know there are certain genre that I would just be wasting my time reading - so I don't go there. But that is why this club is so wonderful. If I decided not to read any selected books for say, 3 months, or decided I could not post for that amount of time, or longer, I know that I can maintain my membership and come back when I am able.I would miss everyone, but I would not be kicked out. So that makes it easier to read what you really want to and not read what you don't want to. Plus not all of us like the same things, so everyone gets a chance to have their genre selected. But when that happens I hit my bookshelf hard - even if I only read one selected book, it gives me time to get one or two off my shelf. My problem is I keep buying them and replace a read book with 3 or 4 more...LOL. Sound familiar to anyone???

message 978: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1357 comments This morning I finished Girlchild A Novel by Tupelo Hassman which I think was brilliant but horribly, HORRIBLY, sad. If you cannot read about children being abused, you cannot read this book. But if you can stomach the disgust, Hassman had created something wonderful in this book. I haven't written a full review yet, but I loved so much about this book.

message 979: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Alena wrote: "This morning I finished [bookcover:Girlchild: A Novel] which I think was brilliant but horribly, HORRIBLY, sad. If you cannot read about children being abused, you cannot read this book. But if you..."

Alena, I saw this book at the library, while I was picking up some items on hold... It immediately captured my attention with the cover. I was waiting for your review to see if I should add it to my TBR.

message 980: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Alena wrote: "This morning I finished [bookcover:Girlchild: A Novel] which I think was brilliant but horribly, HORRIBLY, sad. If you cannot read about children being abused, you cannot read this book. But if you..."

I have this on my TBR list - not sure when I will get to it - but thanks for the information - when something is terribly sad, violent, etc, it is good to know before opening taht cover. I have to be in a good place to read those kinds of books - so the warning I will take to heart.

message 981: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Alena wrote: "This morning I finished [bookcover:Girlchild: A Novel] which I think was brilliant but horribly, HORRIBLY, sad. If you cannot read about children being abused, you cannot read this book. But if you..."

I have this at home but I will admit to being a wuss! I have a very hard time reading about child abuse, however, as you know I love beautiful writing so I will try to read this but may have to put it down. Thanks for the warning though, it is much appreciated.

message 982: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Finished True Sisters which was another emotional read for me. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... Need something light and funny soon.

message 983: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Alena wrote: "This morning I finished [bookcover:Girlchild: A Novel] which I think was brilliant but horribly, HORRIBLY, sad. If you cannot read about children being abused, you cannot read this book. But if you..."

I read this one a month or so ago. I agree with you that the subject matter is not for everyone but I thought the style of the book was completely original and quirky which was very attractive to me. So glad you liked it!

message 984: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom Sandi wrote: "If I decided not to read any selected books for say, 3 months, or decided I could not post for that amount of time, or longer..."

Ok, I finally stopped laughing. You - not post for 3 months?!?!?! Oh Sandi, you say the funniest things!

message 985: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Yeah obviously Jaxnsmom, that was a poor example...LOL !!!

message 986: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Finished The Legal Limit by Martin Fillmore Clark
This book was confused about what type of book it was meant to be; was it a legal thriller, a family saga or a morality tale? Obviously these things need not be mutually exclusive, but to dovetail all of these into one novel requires great skill and a deft touch and I simply did not find that here. The plot was muddled and never really found its footing. I was not particularly enamored with any of the characters and would often find myself, when resuming reading after having putting the book down, not remembering who the author was writing about. This may in fact be due to my aging brain, but for now I am writing this off to too many characters, most of whom I was not invested in. I am not sure how I missed this book when it first came out because I am a big legal thriller fan and this one is touted as a legal thriller, but here I am 4 years after its publication and all I can honestly say is it was not great, on the verge of good, more aptly described as simply okay.

message 987: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Reading Walter's Muse by Jean Davies Okimoto and The Master's Muse A Novel by Varley O'Connor seem to be really into muses. Also reading Dead Scared by S.J. Bolton for review.

message 988: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1357 comments Finally found time to post my review of Girlchild A Novel by Tupelo Hassman
Still reeling from the content and the beauty of the writing.

message 989: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Alena wrote: "Finally found time to post my review of [bookcover:Girlchild: A Novel]
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Amazing Review Alena, as always. I've added this to my list already, can't wait till I can get to it!~

message 990: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Alena wrote: "Finally found time to post my review of [bookcover:Girlchild: A Novel]
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Thanks so much for putting up your review, I've been waiting to hear about this one. I bought it and will read it when I can get my head in a receptive place.

message 991: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Finished reading The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay last night. It was an eloquent read. I flew through the book and couldn't wait to find out how the book ended.

Here's my review

Onto Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward

message 992: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Finished The Reeducation of Cherry Truong: A Novel http://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/... and have put aside one of my muses. Old Walter just not in the mood for this type of book. Now reading Girlchild: A Novel and Alena and Maureen expect me to message you both probably crying. Also reading The Folded Earth A Novel by Anuradha Roy and The Red House A Novel by Mark Haddon for review and balance I hope.

message 993: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 7256 comments Britany wrote: "Finished reading The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay last night. It was an eloquent read. I flew through the book and couldn't wait to find out how the book ended.

Here's my review
http://www.goodreads..."

Liked you review Brittany. This was a quieter novel than her others but I enjoyed it also. Love when authors are not afraid to try something different instead of resting on their previous successes.

message 994: by ♥ Amanda (new)

♥ Amanda (Amandamullins) | 1488 comments Britany wrote: "Finished reading The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay last night. It was an eloquent read. I flew through the book and couldn't wait to find out how the book ended.

Here's my review
http://www.goodreads..."

Glad you liked it. I thought I had already added it to my TBR shelf, but didn't. I am obsessed with books that center around Paris! Those and dog books, lol!

message 995: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1357 comments Finished Home by Toni Morrison in one day. It was a rare case of a book that started a little weak, but ended really strong. She is a master of language, but I had some trouble connecting to the story. Review to come this weekend.

message 996: by ✿Sandra (last edited May 10, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

✿Sandra | 3017 comments Alena, this is in response to your post, but when I tried to reply, it kept putting a completely different book in (Miss Peregrine's).

Thanks for your comment on Home. I agree that she is a master of language, and I have had trouble connecting with her books before, so I won't be reading this one. I do look forward to your review though.

message 997: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Diane wrote: "Finished The Reeducation of Cherry Truong: A Novel http://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/... and have put aside one of my muses. Old Walter just not in the mood for this type of book. Now readi..."

Diane, your reviews are always so beautifully written. I've now added both The Reeducation of Cherry Truong: A Novel and The Red House: A Novel to my TBR. Thanks, as always for these introductions!

message 998: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Diane wrote: "Britany wrote: "Finished reading The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay last night. It was an eloquent read. I flew through the book and couldn't wait to find out how the book ended.

Here's my review
http..."

Diane, I completely agree with you regarding authors stepping away from their most renowned pieces. This book was tender and I felt like I was being invited into a sacred piece of history with how the book was laid out.

Amanda, I can't wait to see what you think! I also am in love with Paris and France in general. Love reading books about times and places that I didn't live in.

message 999: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Finished three more and closing in on a fourth. What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller, which I liked but I liked the movie too so I expected to like this.

Oddly, the other three are all set in the 1920s. It's unusual for me to group books in time like that. And I was afraid it would get confusing but actually it just kind of enriched the experience.

Murder Your Darlings Murder Your Darlings (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #1) by J.J. Murphy which is another in the Dorothy Parker/Algonquin Round Table series. Love the stories but about three times I was thrown off by anachronisms. He needs to watch that.

Bright Young Things Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen -- I enjoyed her "Luxe" series and I liked this well enough to bump the sequel ahead of its place on my list.

Requiem for a Mezzo Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) by Carola Dunn which is third in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series. These are well-crafted with well-fleshed out characters. They aren't un-put-down-able, but they are very good.

message 1000: by Britany (new)

Britany | 4173 comments Jennifer wrote: "Finished three more and closing in on a fourth. What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal [bookcover:What Was She Thinking : Notes on a Scandal], which I liked but I liked the movie too so I expec..."

Jennifer, I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but now I'm intrigued! I've added Notes on a scandal to my TBR!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Language of Flowers (other topics)
The Luminist (other topics)
The List (other topics)
The Weird Sisters (other topics)
Drowning Ruth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anita Diamant (other topics)
Jim Butcher (other topics)
John Hart (other topics)