Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Touch Screen Not Working

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got my Nook yesterday but all of a souch the touch screen isn't working and I can't wake it up because I can't drag to unlock. Has this happened to anyone before?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It just started working again that's weird

message 3: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
Sometimes if the screen is dirty the sensors stop working. Perhaps there was some dust that got dislodged.

message 4: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Shardae, if it's starts to do it agin or you have any more problems with it make sure you call B&N. From my experience with them they have been extremely helpful. I have a first-generation nook. I bought it last December. Since then they have replaced it with a new one at least 6 times this year. The last time was just a few weeks ago. I think I finally got one that works. I didn't buy the additional insurance for it and none of the reasons for having it replaced were through dropping it or any accidents. My advice would be to try out all of the features that it has so one won't happen to pop up later. And just to let you know I would buy the nook again because I do enjoy it a lot. Right now I'm trying to save for a nook tablet. I think. :) Happy reading!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Willaful,
Right before it stopped working I wiped the screen off just to clean it so maybe that is what messed it up

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen-
I didn't know you can get insurance on it. Can I still add it on now?

message 7: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Nov 26, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Shardae wrote: "Thanks Willaful,
Right before it stopped working I wiped the screen off just to clean it so maybe that is what messed it up"

Hmm, possibly could have gotten some dust in while wiping. I use a brush made for computer screens and it seems to work fine. (I had the same problem a little while ago.)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks!

message 9: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (last edited Nov 26, 2011 12:49PM) (new)

For future reference, I'd recommend shutting down and restarting before contacting B&N about a problem, because they'll undoubtedly ask you to do that first anyway. :-)

message 10: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Shardae wrote: "Karen-
I didn't know you can get insurance on it. Can I still add it on now?"

I'm pretty sure you have at least 30 days (maybe longer)to buy the warranty and it is well worth it. The major problem with the nook color is the charging cord. It is notorious for breaking. If it happens, call customer service and they will send you a new one( if you have the warranty). Also, always clean when the screen is dark. Rubbing the screen too much when it is on will make the touchscreen go crazy. If you ever have problems, doing a hard restart will usually fix most (sort of like rebooting your computer!)

message 11: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Leslie, I was told that you were only allowed to buy an extended warranty at the same time that you bought your nook. It does come with a year's warranty to begin with and if they have to replace it toward the end of the first year they tack on 90 days extra. But it may be different with the different nooks.

message 12: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I was told that I had 30 days (I think that's the number) to opt to buy it. The warranty it comes with is very limited and it will not replace the charging cord. It also won't help if it's self inflicted damage. And it's only $20 for 2 years, so it's a really good deal. I bought my nook last January, so things may have changed.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael I've had that problem where I can't drag the bar over to unlock it either and whenever that happens, or whenever I don't have a response from the device, I just blow on my fingers to warm them up and then I have no problems.

unread topics | mark unread