The Wire discussion

Fresh--a movie reference

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 18 comments I posted this in "Movies We Just Watched" as well, but I thought it had relevance to this group also:

I just re-watched Fresh after several years. What a clever movie and the director's commentary is very thoughtful. For any HBO The Wire fans out there, this movie lays some groundwork for that series, in my opinion. I'm thinking of specifically dealing with the complex personalities of the underclass that rarely get portrayed as other than stereotypes in tv dramas or caricatures in urban movies. The director was also commenting on his approach to violence on film which matched what I've heard Ed Burns and David Simon express--which is to say that they resist portraying violence but rather the aftermath--as violence is often glorified even in anti-violence pictures.

Finally--the character of Fresh (Michael) seems to me to be a somewhat of a precursor to Michael Lee on Season 4 of The Wire.

Some people have a real problem with the violence perpetrated against an animal in the film, but the director justifies this disturbing decision to include it in the picture in a very convincing way in the commentary if you're interested.

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam | 2 comments I am glad you brought up Fresh. It's been awhile and I need to see it again. Anyone who is a fan of the Wire should do themselves a favor and check out Fresh. Great acting, great story, and forever changes the way you view that sort of life. Also, it has Samuel L Jackson back when he was still making good movies!

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 18 comments Did you have a chance to listen to the writer's commentary? It's very interesting. I would recommend it.

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily I was imagining the other day how Obama's win would hve played out in The Wire with all the different characters, the cops and the dealers and the kids. Bunk and McNulty and Lester Freamon in the bar watching the returns...it would have been sweet. Real sweet.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 18 comments I hadn't thought of that!! Wow--that would have been very satisfying. Yet, you wonder if some of them would express cynicism about what realistic change can be accomplished, given the writers' harsh scrutiny of the political machine in Baltimore.