The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Anne McCaffrey, 1926-2011

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Nov 22, 2011 02:33PM) (new)

Kevin (kevn57) | 0 comments From the TOR website

Anne McCaffrey, 1926-2011
Management Services

It is currently being reported that Anne McCaffrey, legendary fantasy author of the Dragonriders of Pern series, has passed away. Confirmation is still forthcoming in regards to exact details, but Trent Zelazny is reporting through author Alan Baxter that McCaffrey suffered a stroke on Monday.

McCaffrey is the first woman to win a Hugo Award, as well as the first woman to win a Nebula Award, and the first author to hit the New York Times Bestseller List with an SFF title (The White Dragon).

McCaffrey leaves behind a tremendous legacy. She was active in the science fiction/fantasy fields right up to her passing and will be greatly missed.

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments Just read this too. She, along with Roger Zelanzy, helped define my teen and pre-teen years with her books. I'll always have fond memories of reading the dragonriders of pern books and the harpers hall stuff. I really should read "The Ship Who Sang".

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1713 comments Mod
I really wish we had had the chance to meet her at DragonCon, but she was too sick to attend. What a wonderful woman and writer, she will be missed.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments The three ladies down under talk about her:

http://galactisuburbia.podbean.com/20...

message 6: by Judi Serrato (new)

Judi Serrato (findingjudi) | 3 comments She was the first sic-fi writer I fell in love with. The Pern series is one of my all time favorites! She will be missed.