Reading the Chunksters discussion

General Archive > Contemporary Chunkster Nomination

Comments (showing 1-50 of 105) (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Loretta (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:29AM) (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Please use this thread to nominate your selection for our next contemporary chunkstere.

Remember:

1) Only one nomination per member

2) Link to both the book and the author in your nomination

3) This thread will be open for 1 week, so get your nominations in before Wednesday morning (U.S. Eastern Time), November 30.

Thanks!

Nominated Books:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami 1Q84
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall
The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen The Corrections
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry Lonesome Dove
Needful Things by Stephen King Needful Things
The Passage (The Passage #1) by Justin Cronin The Passage
Shogun by James Clavell Shogun
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin A Game of Thrones
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert Dune
Agaat by Marlene Van Niekerk Agaat
Drood by Dan Simmons Drood

message 2: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Okay, I'll get the ball rolling.

I'd like to nominate:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

message 3: by Kelley (last edited Nov 22, 2011 01:50PM) (new)

Kelley (kelleyls) Ooh, I'd love to read 1Q84! I believe it has been nominated before, but would also enjoy reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

message 4: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Kelley wrote: "Ooh, I'd love to read 1Q84! I believe it has been nominated before, but would also enjoy reading Wolf Hall."

I've been a member of this group for close to 2 years, and someone has nominated Wolf Hall in every single contemporary nomination round. LOL. I'd like to read that too, and yet it's never won...

message 5: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) Oh, the voting for the best of 2011 has made me want to read iq84. *happy*

message 6: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kelleyls) Loretta wrote: "Kelley wrote: "Ooh, I'd love to read 1Q84! I believe it has been nominated before, but would also enjoy reading Wolf Hall."

I've been a member of this group for close to 2 years, a..."

Oh. LOL! I'm new to the group. Oh well!

message 7: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) Wolf Hall sounds interesting too... only I have read so many books set in the Tudor period that I just feel any other books I read about it mess more with my idea of history rather than actually teach me something new. I just can't enjoy them. :S

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) @ Kelley: Maybe this time! :)

message 10: by Sera (new)

Sera I pick Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It's been on my TBR for too long.

message 11: by Kathy (last edited Nov 22, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I would like to nominate Needful Things by Stephen King by Stephen King

message 12: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Kathy wrote: "I would like to nominate Needful Things by Stephen King."

Please provide links. Thanks.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I would like to nominate The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen.

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

I know this book has been around for a coouple of years. I'm hoping there are some people like me that have it sitting in a pile....hahah

message 14: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Andrea wrote: "I would like to nominate The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen.

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

I know this book has been around for a coouple of years. I'm hoping there are some..."

It's actually being turned into an HBO series right now. Dianne Wiest, Chris Cooper, and Ewan McGregor are all going to be in it.

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (Kristina3880) I have The Corrections sitting, well collecting dust on my bookshelf. So, no you are not alone.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Really? All the more reason to read it...lol Have you read it yet Loretta?

Christopher Cooper lives near me :)

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Loretta, I forgot to mention that I'm happy to be the mod for the classic or contemporary book.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) I'd like to nominate Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryby Larry McMurtry.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Sorry guys, I've added my links. :)

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mrspickett) I would like to nominate The Passage by Justin Cronin The Passage by Justin Cronin

message 21: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (Kristina3880) Oooohh. Lonesome dove. Good call Liz vegas

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Way too many good books, you guys kill me!!

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Amanda wrote: "I would like to nominate The Passage by Justin Cronin The Passage by Justin Cronin"

Great book, Amanda!

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mrspickett) I have wanted to read it for a while now.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz I'd like to nominate Shogun by James Clavell.

message 26: by Lahni (new)

Lahni Liz Vegas wrote: "I'd like to nominate Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryby Larry McMurtry."

I was going to nominate this but you beat me to it!

message 27: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (EllenLibrarian) | 143 comments I nominate A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm not a fantasy reader normally but I recently started this book and I'm finding it very interesting and absorbing. I'd love to hear what the ever intelligent, thoughtful Chunksters have to say about it!

message 28: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) Ah, had AGOT in another group recently. There is definitely lots to discuss there!!

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Ellen wrote: "I nominate A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I'm not a fantasy reader normally but I recently started this book and I'm finding it very interesting and absorbing..."

I recently read this. Great book!!

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Amanda wrote: "I have wanted to read it for a while now."

I can't wait for the sequel!

message 31: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I would like to nominate Dune by Frank Herbert.

message 32: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) Ohh, Dune! Now that one is a good choice!

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) I nominate Agaat by Marlene Van Niekerk. Looks like we'll have a nice selection!

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I've been dying to read Shogun and I'd quite like to or re-read Game of Thrones or Dune, two of my favourites I've been wanting to go back through for a while.

You know, I can see myself reading half a dozen chunksters soon!

message 35: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Liz wrote: "I'd like to nominate Shogun by James Clavell."

I've got a copy of this too. I almost nominated it.

message 36: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (thysanura) Gah... I was going to nominate something, but there are already so many good nominations! Have I mentioned recently that this is my favorite GoodReads group? :D

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) LOL, Thanks Suzanne. Yeah, I think we might have enough nominations... as it is, I'm not sure how we're going to end up not needing a run-off poll.

message 38: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (thysanura) Yeah, hehe... I wish we could all cast more than one vote to help narrow it down. I had planned on reading the GRR Martin books next year anyway, but I've always wanted to read Lonesome Dove. And Shogun. And... seeeeee?

I predict that 2012 is going to be The Year of the Chunkster. :)

message 39: by Sera (new)

Sera Shogun is a true chunkster but worth every page. I really enjoyed it.

I have AGOT and haven't been able to read it yet so there's another option for me here.

So many good choices! I'm going to have trouble deciding when the polls go up.

message 40: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Suzanne wrote: "Yeah, hehe... I wish we could all cast more than one vote to help narrow it down. I had planned on reading the GRR Martin books next year anyway, but I've always wanted to read Lonesome Dove. And..."

I've finished the first 3 Song of Ice and Fire books, and love them. Have to move on to the fourth in the next couple weeks.

But yes, some seriously good choices here. It would be nice if the polls here allowed ranking (i.e. if each person could pick a first, second and third choice).

message 41: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) What a great list of books!!! I can't start anything else until January .. :-(

message 42: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (LorettaLucia) Martha wrote: "What a great list of books!!! I can't start anything else until January .. :-("

I get the feeling that might be the start date for everyone, with the holidays coming up.

message 43: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) That would be great! I'm going to be reading Brideshead Revisited in January and thought it was long, but I see that it's not a chunkster. :-)

message 44: by Jen (last edited Nov 23, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

Jen (JeninSeattle) | 141 comments I would be in for a read of The Corrections. It's been gathering dust on my shelf for a very long time. It is thoroughly despised by one of my other GR groups, but you never know till you try right?

Good nomination, I second. :-)

message 45: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiColeman) Another great list of books! Wow!

message 46: by Liz (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) Sera wrote: "Shogun is a true chunkster but worth every page. I really enjoyed it.

I have AGOT and haven't been able to read it yet so there's another option for me here.

So many good choices! I'm going to ..."

I loved Shogun, as well. Great read!

message 47: by Nathalie (last edited Nov 23, 2011 11:23PM) (new)

Nathalie (Natjen29) I'd like to nominate Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon.

message 48: by Sera (new)

Sera Jen wrote: "I would be in for a read of The Corrections. It's been gathering dust on my shelf for a very long time. It is thoroughly despised by one of my other GR groups, but you never know till..."

Ugh - I'm not a Corrections fan - hated it , but I completely support those readers who want to give it a try.

message 49: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (EllenLibrarian) | 143 comments Sera wrote: "Ugh - I'm not a Corrections fan - hated it , but I completely support those readers who want to give it a try."

Ditto.

On another note, I loved War and Peace. I actually read it twice. I'm not sure I'd want to read it again but it's one of my favorite books of all time.

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (thysanura) I've got Swan Song on my shelf here, too. You guys are killing me. :D

I'll go ahead and submit my nomination then, even if only to put it on your radars.

I'd like to nominate Drood by Dan Simmons.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1Q84 (other topics)
Wolf Hall (other topics)
The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers (other topics)
The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers (other topics)
The Corrections (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Haruki Murakami (other topics)
Hilary Mantel (other topics)
Margaret George (other topics)
Stephen King (other topics)
Justin Cronin (other topics)
More...