baseball, baseball, baseball :-) discussion

Best baseball movie?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments I enjoy sports movies...Rudy, Remember the Titans, Hoosiers. But without a doubt my favorite sports movie is Field of Dreams !!!

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly I second Bull Durham.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments Just recently I finally enjoyed watching
an older movie - "Bang the Drum Slowly" in its entirity. **** (4) Stars

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly Haven't seen that one.

message 5: by Anthony (new)

Anthony R (a2dar071) | 2 comments i tink dat feild of dreams is pretty good, but i am nt sure wat da best is

message 6: by Molly (new)

Molly Is the questions best Baseball movie or best Sports movie?

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments I think it is "sports movie" but any comment is appreciated.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly OK then - if it is Sports and not just Baseball, I nominate Slapshot.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments Molly...Outstanding selection. Who can forget the classic scene with the bloodied up Hansen brothers and the national anthem. Plus the great actor Paul Newman. Makes me want to go rent it !!!

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly Paul Newman is one of my favorites. I don't really have many sports movie favorites actually now that I think more about it. I've seen many but not many that I loved. I don't know if you count Happy Gilmore as a sports movie but that is one that totally cracks me up every time.

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments Yes, I enjoyed the brawl between Happy -vs- Bob Barker.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Hahahaha!!! I prefer my sports flicks with a taste of humor obviously.

We rented that movie "Invincible" last year and I thought it was pretty cheesy. I find most football movies take themselves too seriously. Although I heard good things about "Remember The Titans" - I do love Denzel.

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments I agree and think Denzel is a fantastic actor, he is one of my favorites, I loved him in a Civil War movie "Glory" but felt his best job was in the movie Philadelphia

Remember the Titans = 4 stars !!!

message 14: by Molly (new)

Molly Jim just posted a separate discussion item about a recent book about the Cubs' 1908 season and the era reminded me of the movie Eight Men Out covering the Black Sox in Chicago. That is an awesome film.

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments 8 Men Out excellent !!

A few years back a lifelong Cubs fan did a documentary film about being a Cubs fan, he quit his job and put all his money into the making of the film (HBO I think). That was the year when the Cub fan touched the foul ball. I'm sorry but the name of it escapes me

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly Yeah - I saw that. Wait 'Til Next Year I think it was called. Had a few celebrity fans in there too - like Jeff from Curb Your Enthusiasm. And I think there was a blind old guy at one of the local bars on opening day where they showed his devotion to the team and how he "watched" each game. It was a good mix of history and current misery!

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy  | 24 comments On my bucket list is a trip to Wrigley Park...I might evern try to bring a Billy Goat inside
There is something endearing about a struggling franchise, their fans are very special.

message 18: by Molly (new)

Molly I loooved Chicago - the city and people are awesome. The weather was even beautiful - we caught it between not too hot and certainly not the winter. The scene around Wrigley and the neighborhoods up there are tons of fun and how I think all ballparks should be - in the center of a community with bars, not parking lots surrounding it. However, I thought the inside of Wrigley was very blah. We did not sit in the bleachers though so maybe that would have been more fun. The fans were very nice, but not as passionate out there as they are here which surprised me.

message 19: by Molly (new)

Molly Speaking of Slapshot - oh yeah - and there will be a hockey game too...
http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app?articl...

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim Lee | 1 comments Bull Durham or The Natural.

message 21: by Elizabeth7781 (new)

Elizabeth7781 I don't know about "best" baseball movie but I am very fond of last year's movie "The Final Season". A sweet movie about a simpler time (1980's, ha). Fun to see the size of the 'state of the art' cellular phone in the movie. In all seriousness, it is just as much a movie about the value of small town USA as it is about baseball.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice. I'll have to check that out. This has always been a tough answer for me because I loved The Natural, Bull Durham, Eight Men Out, Sandlot to name a few. But I would have to say that the magic of Field of Dreams is tops for me. And as a reader I've been dying to read Thomas Mann all this time, why I haven't picked him up yet is only for the stack of books I have in front of me.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I forgot to mention Fever Pitch!! I didn't realize it was based on the Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby until just tonight.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

It is clse between Field of Dreams and the Natural. I change my mind every time I see one of them. I still cry at the Lou Gherig Story despite Gary Cooper's inept swing.

message 25: by Frank (new)

Frank Nappi (fnap33) | 23 comments I'm a fan big fan of the Natural (book and movie) for sure. My baseball themed book was actually adapted for a TV movie that aired on cable this past September. The movie was called "A Mile in his Shoes" based on my book "The Legend of Mickey Tussler." The movie starred Dean Cain and Luke Schroder. Being a fan of baseball movies - it was quite thrilling (to say the least) to have my book turned into a really good family baseball film. Has anyone seen "Mile?"

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry Frank- I never did,but you deservedly should be proud.Is there anyplace I can see it?
P.S. I published a baseball/courtroom novel called A Pitch For Justice that I believe would make a better movie than my book.Check it out on this site or Amazon,com about a beanball that ends in tragedy.

message 27: by Frank (last edited Mar 31, 2012 06:15AM) (new)

Frank Nappi (fnap33) | 23 comments Hi Harold,

My movie "A Mile in His Shoes" has been available on DVD since mid January. You can get it at Amazon, WalMart, etc. Let me know if you check it out! Thank you. I will check out your book as well.

Frank

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll do that-thank you

message 29: by Donald (new)

Donald | 2 comments I saw a really good baseball movie recently on dvd called "Sugar."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990413/

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Good tip.I remember when it came out and was publicized onESPN