I am doing nothing but being bored to death discussion

Holidays

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you guys do for the holidays?

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments Hmmmmm.... well usually for Thanks Giving we have a bunch of family over and eat yummy food and stuff like that...

Then for Christmas we usually have a gift exchange with my cousins, and then with my siblings and I we'll draw names on who fills who's stocking... and then there's just miscellaneous gifts for people. (often times these are joke gifts =)

Sadly, though, I think a lot of my family isn't going to be able to come to Thanksgiving.... and I've no idea how Christmas is gonna roll out.

...Then whichever of my siblings stay long enough, we celebrate New Years with them by staying up late (With various drinks & snacks such as Sparkling Cider) and watching movies or playing bored games or something.... =)

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments *sigh of memories* yeah, it can be pretty fun =)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2008 10:08AM) (new)

We normally go to both grandparents' houses for thanksgiving.

For Christmas, we usually go to my dad's parents house on Christmas eve and my mom's parents house whenever everyone can make it...

with my grandfather's death though, I'm not sure what we're doing this year.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments =( that's sad... =(

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

who doesn't like christmas?

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments I donno! I love it =)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Really random, but has anyone started their Christams shopping?

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments no but i've been thinking of what to get people....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't started shopping yet but I know what I'm getting for the person I've been assigned to get something for and thinking about what to get everyone else.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) I have presents for two of my sisters... and I know what I'm giving most of my girlfriends. I'm going cheap this year... haha.

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments lol... last year my sis and I had an unofficial contest on who could spend the least money on Christmas presents.......
I won. =)

lol... I made most things or got things from the thrift store etc. =)

message 14: by Sequoia (new)

Sequoia Poths | 41 comments Me either...guess i should...

message 15: by Rose (last edited Nov 23, 2008 03:30PM) (new)

Rose  | 82 comments So...this year we'll be at my uncle's house for Thanksgiving! =) And some of my cousins will be there, so I'm really excited!!! I hardly EVER see them! I don't even know most of their middle names or birthdays!!! jeeze... lol... anyway It'll be lots of fun, I think =) AND MY MOM HAS PUMPKIN BREAD IN THE OVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sooooooooo EXCITING!! lol =) can't wait 'til it's finished... I LOVE me some pumpkin bread! =) goood stuff, good stuff =)

message 16: by Sequoia (last edited Nov 24, 2008 11:53AM) (new)

Sequoia Poths | 41 comments =( we aren't going anywhere for thanksgiving, just staying home and having it there...but we took the steigerwalds to the thanksgiving dinner at new hope on sunday and it was so YUMMY AND AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to my grandmother on my dad's side on Thursday, and my grandparents on my mom's side on Friday. So I get really yummy food two days in a row... I think I'm gonna be sick on Saturday:)

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments Turkey Bowl... as in the Flames thing? I'd forgotten that they were doing that... I don't think I've actually been to one before, but I've heard of them and I saw the pics from the last one... =) It looked like it was a lot of fun =)

message 19: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments HAPPY THANKS GIVING!!!
=) !smile! (=

Peace! Be happy - be grateful for this amazing world we live in =)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) Christmas MUSIC!!!!! :D I love it. And it is now officially legal (at least in my family) to listen to it. YAY. I just don't understand people who don't like Christmas music... their loss. :D
We got our Christmas tree today too. It was WAY early this year, but now the house smells like pine needles. Yum.

message 21: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments Ooooh I LOVE that smell! =)
I guess people might just get tired of Christmas songs after a while...
I still like most of them - just jingle bells is annoying to me....
but it's all good =)

message 22: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments Yes. Definitely! =)
I love Christmas trees =) Not those fake, so-called Christmas trees... I mean REAL Christmas trees that you either cut down yourself or buy somewhere in your hometown.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My family has outgrown fake Christmas trees. We had a 4 foot one until 2 years ago. We pulled it out and at that point we had 1 child in the house not taller than it. Then we told our dad we needed a new tree as we told him for the previous 5 years. As for Christmas music, I start listening to it in February and drive my family crazy=)

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) I always feel mean saying that I hate fake Christmas trees, because I always end up putting my foot in my mouth because I'll say it in front of someone who has one. :P
But I really detest them. They're so sad, really.

I'm sort of snobby when it comes to how you obtain your tree, too. :P Cutting it yourself is just the way to go. Then it smells really nice, and it's just so much more... I dunno. A few years ago we were running really late, and my mom just went out and got one from the grocery store. It was so sad. It looked all dead and bare. Poor tree. Lol.

We just put ours up in our house and it's SO huge, really way too big. Haha, it barely fits in the room.

message 25: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments lol =) I, too, prefer it when we get a REAL one our selves.

But, for some, strange, reason that I simply cannot understand, my parents bought a FAKE tree a couple years ago... the first year we had it, we convinced them not to put it up (I think it actually may have been after Christmas when they got it...) but last year, the most we could manage to do was to put it on the porch instead of inside ('cause there'd be a baby inside that would want to touch it, and the tree has a LOT of lead in it...)

*sigh* I'mma gonna get me a REAL Christmas tree this year, and that's fo sho. I miss the smell, and I miss seeing it whenever I go downstairs...

And what kinda family puts all the presents on a footstool??? under a tree is much more fun =)

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) A FOOTSTOOL?! Weird... :P

My sister and her husband might be getting a fake tree this year. :( I almost cried.
Hahaha...

message 27: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments yes, *sigh* a footstool. It's what we used last year since we didn't have a tree.

My parents just don't like real trees anymore... and I'm pretty sure we're not gonna have a real tree this year... =( but I won't let them put up the fake one instead - I just won't.

Fake trees... they could give me nightmares...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

We would put our tree on a wooden box.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) Rose, you shall just have to persevere through these tragic years of fake trees until the day you can convince your family to go along with you. :P

message 30: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments I think I'll manage...

but I will (and do already) miss them good ol' fashioned Christmas trees.

message 31: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments oh, and ACTUALLY, ALL the kids in my family (there are 8 of us including in-laws) like to put up REAL Christmas trees - unlike my parents. so it's 8 against 2.... and yet the 2 win. hmph.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah, I've always wondered how that happens =)

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) My family would probably just get a pre-cut tree, or, even worse.. a fake tree :P every year if it weren't for my sister and I. We're the ones who have to look at EVERY single tree at the farm before we decide on one, and then when we narrow it down to two, we fight over which one is better. :P

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) Haha, it's not THAT big. :P Okay, I guess it is pretty huge.... But I like big trees.
Did you hear that we're not even going to be spending Christmas day at home? :(

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurula) Yeah, we are. But since my grandparents couldn't come down for Thanksgiving (because my grandma was in the hospital), we're going down there for Christmas. And Bun only has off of work for the 25th-27th, so we're leaving Christmas day because my mom thought it would be pretty silly to drive nine hours down, then spend the remainder of that day there, and the next day drive another hours.
But me and dad finally convinced mom to let us at least stay at home until all the presents are opened. :P She was just going to have all the kids open their presents on Christmas eve. :O Which of course we couldn't have done. That would have just been so unethical... =P

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Well at least they open their presents on Christams eve. Last year we open them on like the friday before Christmas.

message 37: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments ...last year we did all the usual Christmas stuff on Christmas eve... it was slightly disorienting... but it was ok.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Last night we started decorating for Christmas!!! It was tons of fun. except going out in the freezing cold weather to get a tree... that wasn't much fun.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

lol I agree.

message 40: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments definitely true, Andrea. It's just not the same... I don't even see why they invented fake trees... real ones are just so much... better.

message 41: by Sequoia (new)

Sequoia Poths | 41 comments Why???

message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments You mean why are real ones better?

Because, for one thing, they're REAL
for another, they smell yummy
and then there's the whole LED poisoning thing... supposedly, if one is exposed to LED, it can cause brain damage and stuff... I'm not quite positive about that, but, I still wash my hands after decorating for Christmas (most xmas lights and fake trees and such have LED in them)....
yeah.......
but
anyway,
Fake trees are just NOT the same. And real ones are better. That's just a fact of life.

message 43: by Sequoia (new)

Sequoia Poths | 41 comments Oh, no, I'm sorry, Rose. Lol, I was asking Andrea why they had to open presents a few days before Christmas but then I realized that she said because they were going to Connecticut. Lol, I'm confused now! =D

message 44: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 82 comments lol....!!! haha =)

message 45: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 3 comments Holidays I get stuck with the in-laws.. they seem to get worse and worse every year. =)

http://www.cardshark.com/content/view...