Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Funny video clip: http://on.io9.com/vgHWHI

I gotta see this whole episode.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments It's held back on Hulu for a week for Direct TV. :/

message 3: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 3 comments It was a great episode, all the way up to where my girl friend asked, "Who's Neil Gaiman?"... (doh!)

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments Good clip, but the best part of the link are the explanations as to why the Simpsons isn't very funny anymore.

message 5: by Poly (new)

Poly (xenphilos) I think this comment by lightninglouie sums up my feelings on The Simpsons pretty well:

"Slightly OT, but I just wanted to throw this out there:

I think the big problem with The Simpsons is that the world that they were, in effect, called into existence to make fun of just doesn't exist anymore. That post-Reagan, pre-Clinton, pre-Internet Bush I America, with a consensus culture shaped by a handful of TV networks and huge media superstars, just doesn't exist anymore, at least not in the way it used to. The show was funny and edgy because it made fun of a saccharine, hollow media landscape that many people of a certain age didn't believe in. And I would argue that, like "Smells Like Teen Spirit," the show preemptively destroyed the '80s cultural legacy in such a way that no one would ever be able to celebrate the decade without a cool sense of distance and irony. There's a reason why Family Ties and The Cosby Show aren't on heavy circulation in reruns today. There's a reason why almost nobody makes sitcoms with laugh tracks anymore. And there's a reason why almost any show or movie about the 1980s is done with ginormous quotation marks around everything, instead of simple, straightforward nostalgia. A lot of it can be ascribed to The Simpsons, and the cultural impact of its first four or five seasons.

Nowadays, pop culture is a splintered, diffracted phenomenon, and we're unquestionably the better for it. The media landscape is likewise fractured, with attention spans divided between entertainment channels that would have been unimaginable around the time the first bootleg Black Bart T-shirts appeared. The Simpsons has worked hard to catch up with these developments: Instead of Michael Jackson or Dustin Hoffman making a guest appearance, we've got Gaiman and the Conchords. But the show's humor is really rooted in another, simpler era, and that's why it isn't as revolutionarily funny as it was, say, in 1993. Something about the characters using Twitter or reading George R.R. Martin doesn't jibe with their basic naiveté. In a way, it's kind of like what the Beatles would have been like if they'd never broken up after 1970s and kept putting out LPs every couple of years, at least into the '90s. At first that sounds pretty wonderful. But then you think about what would have probably followed, at least in one form or another: glam Beatles, disco Beatles, cokehead L.A. Beatles, metal Beatles, hip-hop Beatles, ambient Beatles, grunge Beatles, nu-metal Beatles. That's basically what's happened to The Simpsons. "

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (megallina) | 23 comments Another really fun part of this episode is that when Patty is looking at her bookshelf of fantasy books, one of them is called The Magician King, which is the sequel to the book The Magicians which was mentioned on Sword and Laser last year as a possible book choice.

If you haven't read these, or at least checked them out, please do. They are literally my two favorite books I have ever read!

I wanted to include the screen grab from the show, but I don't think Goodreads allows images in posts. Here's a link to the author, Lev Grossman's blog, where you can see it. http://levgrossman.com/2011/11/pure-1...
(And just for the record, yes this was intentional. There was all kinds of Twitter buzz before the episode went on TV telling Magicans fans to watch.)

message 7: by Poly (last edited Dec 02, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Poly (xenphilos) Meggie wrote: "Another really fun part of this episode is that when Patty is looking at her bookshelf of fantasy books, one of them is called The Magician King, which is the sequel to the book [bo..."

Goodreads allows images. Here's the instructions from their page:

"<*img src = "http://www.goodreads.com/image..." width="40" height="100" alt="description" /*> (ignore asterisks)

(Width must be 0-400, Height must be 0-1000, alt is a description of the image. All three are optional, but recommended.)"

Here's Maggie's linked image:
The Magician King on The Simpsons