The Classics discussion

Gulliver's Travels > Lemuel Gulliver vs. Robinson Crusoe

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by theduckthief (last edited Nov 02, 2008 12:41PM) (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
Is Gulliver anything like Crusoe? They have different experiences but both are adventurers far from home.

As well, what about Odysseus and his shipwreck? Cast Away? Lost?

The theme of being shipwrecked on a deserted island never seems to get old.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill (fiestacelli) | 2 comments In my opinion Robinson Crusoe was a much more realistic cast away. Gulliver just seemed to me so cartoonish. Maybe its the gulliver's travels movies I watched as a kid.

message 3: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
I agree. The stakes felt higher with Crusoe because you see him surviving, goat hat and all.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's difficult to compare these two very different books. Gulliver's Travels is a satire. I think a better comparison would be with "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Neither story is in the real world.

Robinson Crusoe is in the real world and the hero has to cope with the real problems he faced in his isolation. He had a lot of time to be introspective and did reflect on the human condition. Of course, Gulliver's travel reflects on the human condition (in a much more intense way) as well but by using a fantasy world.

I enjoyed "Lord of the Flies" which dealt with a bunch of boys isolated from civilization. It was also taking place in the real world and also demonstrated some of the negative aspects of the human condition. I think it could be compared to Gulliver's travels and Robinson Crusoe in some ways.

Robinson Crusoe was a much more positive book about coping with a difficult situation. Gulliver's Travels is basically questioning human values which do not stand up very well to scrutiny.