Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part IV: All Eyes (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part IV comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 01, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I found myself wishing my audio version of the book contained a diagram of the compound and had several questions after reading part IV chapters 19-23. Did the Kindle or Nook version have a diagram? I was told the hardcover did.

I was not too excited about the introduction to a whole new society of names at the beginning of the part IV .
>> I am glad that finally Amy is back and hmmm, still mysterious as to what she is. She does seem to be talking to the virals in her mind like she did with the zoo animals so long ago. I didn't get the impression that the virals she gathered around her were the original numbers, but that they were the confused followers
It was interesting that Amy taught herself to walk out in the sun safely.
>> Ida seems to be auntie. Through Ida's eyes we learn of the horrors in PA and the new colony in CA. Perhaps the CA area was safer at first because of longer days of sun, (sunny California) and because the virus spread to the East at first giving them time to shore up a compound?
Lots of open questions:
>> The virals seem to be evolving - do we think that is Amy's doing? Where is Fanning?
>> Where is Theo?

message 3: by Debra (last edited Jan 01, 2012 02:32PM) (new)

Ann wrote: "I found myself wishing my audio version of the book contained a diagram of the compound and had several questions after reading part IV chapters 19-23. Did the Kindle or Nook version have a diagram..."

The trade paperback has a diagram of the compound. It does help, a bit.

I agree about not being too thrilled with how Part IV started out. Fortunately, that part didn't last long.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I should go look up a copy and look at the diagram, I love having those as I read.

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jan 16, 2012 02:48AM) (new)

There is definitely a link with Amy and the virals... she survived the virus afterall, and has part of them inside her. Yes, it seems a confused following and not the original 13... she only hears the names of the 12, and not Zero/Fanning... why is that?

Ida is Auntie, most definitely.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Recently started this part - have not read any of the above conversation to avoid any spoilers - but just wanted to mention something.

I think the way they talk is interesting - like they refer to the little kids as "the Littles" and marriage as "pairing up".

I will not make any more comments from this section until I finish this section, those 2 things just stood out to me. Hopefully, I can move to the next section soon - I don't think I will be able to get any more reading done today.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I found that to be rather quaint too, Linda. It was a bit like regression in the social word after the virals.
Linda wrote: "Recently started this part - have not read any of the above conversation to avoid any spoilers - but just wanted to mention something.
I think the way they talk is interesting - like they refer to the little kids as "the Littles" and marriage as "pairing up". "

message 8: by Debra (last edited Jan 16, 2012 02:53AM) (new)

Linda wrote: "I think the way they talk is interesting - like they refer to the little kids as "the Littles" and marriage as "pairing up"."

I also found this quaint. Perhaps the "pairing up" is because they have no religion and therefore don't have religion ceremonies like marriage. But where did they come up with these names? They are only 92 years out from prior civilization, so it's hard to believe that the first adults in the colony (those that raised all those children) didn't just pass along the names and terms they had used in their previous lives.

message 9: by Debra (last edited Jan 16, 2012 02:56AM) (new)

I think that the "virals always come home" is a significant plot point; something to be remembered. (hint hint).

Since Theo and his (and Peter's) father, Demo, never came home, does that mean they are still alive?

Who's the walker that Demo says he saw at Milagro?

message 10: by Debra (new)

Can you imagine what it would be like to see the stars for the first time?

message 11: by Debra (new)

I've a note here that Amy let the virals away from Wolgast... so does this mean he died? Is still alive? Not a viral? hmmmm

message 12: by Debra (new)

Amy witnessed the virals attacking the last expedition of the Long Rides and saw Uncle Willem (Demo's brother) killed. It says 3 died, but what about the other 3?

The virals are sorry and Amy forgives them and tells them not to do it again, but they can't help it. They are driven to feed. How sad!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments This question, and how we became aware of this possibility, that someone could have gone a lifetime without seeing the night sky unencumbered by light, is one of the reasons I found the book so compelling. It truly was a world like ours but so different and so eerie to contemplate.
Debra wrote: "Can you imagine what it would be like to see the stars for the first time?"

message 14: by Debra (last edited Jan 19, 2012 01:11AM) (new)

Ann wrote: "This question, and how we became aware of this possibility, that someone could have gone a lifetime without seeing the night sky unencumbered by light, is one of the reasons I found the book so com..."

Yes, a very compelling and intriguing story. So many things to contemplate... and for us to be thankful for!

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "Linda wrote: "I think the way they talk is interesting - like they refer to the little kids as "the Littles" and marriage as "pairing up"."

I also found this quaint. Perhaps the "pairing up" is ..."

I agree Debra, it would have made more sense if only the children were there when this "community" was started, but adults were there. This part didn't make sense to me. When they say the word "Flyers" is that a slang word??? Does anyone have any ideas about that????

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I can't imagine not being able to see the stars - they are so beautiful....

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ok, I want to talk about Zander - does anyone think that he realized what was happening to him - that is why he sort of led Caleb to safety of sorts????

Does anyone have any ideas on how Zander got infected? Clearly he was going out a lot, during unsafe times - I wonder why he would do that.

I loved that he found and went to the library and brought books back with him. I thought that part was really cool.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ann wrote: "I found myself wishing my audio version of the book contained a diagram of the compound and had several questions after reading part IV chapters 19-23. Did the Kindle or Nook version have a diagram..."

Ann, I have the hardback of the book and the diagram is there - I looked at it a lot as I read this section so I could figure out where they were, but it was a little difficult to follow along at times - did you find that Debra or was it just me????

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda: Yes! I also thought Zander did realize what was happening to him and while conflicted, probably due to some urges we can't understand, did try to help Caleb. His going out to the library for books was very cool, a risk taker who lost unfortunately.
Linda wrote: "Ok, I want to talk about Zander - does anyone think that he realized what was happening to him - that is why he sort of led Caleb to safety of sorts????
I loved that he found and went to the library and brought books back with him. I thought that part was really cool. "

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Something else I just thought of Ann, the characters that we know that have flipped (I think that is what they call it) or turned into a viral, all seem to have that. Have you noticed that when someone in the colony looks a viral in the eyes that they know - the viral gives them a look of comfort. I hope this makes sense, I am having a hard time expressing what I am trying to say.... for example when Hollis shot Arlo, Hollis mentioned the look that Arlo gave him when he did it. I guess their "real" selves are in there....

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Agreed, Linda, it is pretty horrible to think that it is likely they do still retain enough memory to know who they once were before they 'turned'. Yikes!
And I may have this garbled in my head, but when they set out to kill the ones they know were turned, they must realize that some sense of human awareness is still there, they are trying to save the new Viral from that agony I think.

message 22: by Debra (new)

Linda: I do think that "flyers" is a kind of slang; their way of swearing. Strange, huh?

As Ann said, I agree that Zander was conscious of what was happening to him. I think he may have gotten infected at the library or perhaps he was dreaming and was drawn to the surrounding virals and got infected that way. He definitely seemed to know on some level and was trying to protect Caleb.

Although the virals seem totally gone, I believe they had some memory of their origins, otherwise why would they go home after being turned? I still wonder if Arlo would have killed his baby, or if he just wanted to see her one last time. Something we will never know.

I've never been very good with looking at maps and following the action based on it. I had a general idea of the layout of the colony in my head, but I didn't spend much time going back to map to get it all fixed there.

message 23: by Linda (last edited Jan 23, 2012 03:21PM) (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I think that is why Arlo was there - I think he wanted to see his baby one last time. He had to know they would kill him if he entered the colony - and surely the Sanctuary.

I guess that was a way for Cronin to put a human side to them, to help us see them as still being human.

message 24: by Debra (new)

Yeah, that makes sense.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) The virals definitely still retain part of their humanity...that's what makes it all the more horrific a duty (but yet a familial responsibility) to wait for their return and kill them. And it definitely seems that it takes longer for the virus to fully infect some which might better explain Zander.

And yes...flyers appears to be a slang/curse referring to the virals who appear to fly.