Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part VI: The Night of Blades and Stars (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part VI comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 01, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments A lot of things happen in this part - Blades and Stars is a good subtitle. What is going on with Amy, more clues, more questions.
I was somewhat not surprised by the 'Mob mentality' that took over so many of the colonists as fear overcame them, but it was disappointing to realize how close to the edge of reason we can be as humans and how easily led down dangerous paths that expose our baser instincts.

message 3: by Debra (last edited Jan 16, 2012 04:21AM) (new)

Seems like everyone is dreaming of Babcock and him murdering a woman (his mother?). Why only Babcock of the 12?

message 4: by Debra (new)

Wonder what mementos I would keep from my past, if something like this happened and I survived. Auntie has mementos - a Coca Cola bottle, for instance.

message 5: by Debra (new)

I wasn't surprised, but was disturbed, by the mob mentality. That scares the bejaysus out of me!

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) And it is a lot easier to be led down those paths due to lack of information. As with most societies, the first families seemed want to keep a tight rein on everything thus causing more trouble down the road. What I find unbelievable is the lack of interest that most of the population shows in how the lights work as I would think they should be everyone's #1 concern even if not their responsibility.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Good point, I hadn't considered how everyone trusted such a huge task of keeping the lights on to two men. What a burden.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I agree with you both with the light issues - keeping the Colony bathed in light was so important, but all of their jobs were very important - they only had so many people who could handle certain tasks and the ones that were more specialized in certain jobs had to work more hours I guess.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I also thought this section was named perfectly - so much happened - I almost couldn't keep up. It was interesting reading about all of the different dreams.

And what exactly is up with Babcock being in everyone's head!!!

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Mementos - I think we would have a lot of them, I'm sure some technical stuff along with sentimental. Funny how they named Coca-Cola.

I guess Auntie is the only one left from the original group that formed the Colony - does anyone else think that??? I love that she still has a picture of her parents.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I don't know what is about to happen - but I love this new group - Michael, Sara, Peter, Caleb, Mausami, Alicia and Amy - I wish them luck - now on to The Darklands!!!!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda: Like titles to books, I like aptly named sections of chapters that connect with the reader!
Dreaming about Babcock and his murderous thoughts was very disturbing!!
Linda wrote: "I also thought this section was named perfectly -
And what exactly is up with Babcock being in everyone's head!!! "

message 13: by Debra (new)

Linda wrote: "Mementos - I think we would have a lot of them, I'm sure some technical stuff along with sentimental. Funny how they named Coca-Cola.

I guess Auntie is the only one left from the original group ..."

Yep, Auntie is the last one. How sad, eh?

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments yes, very much so. I am glad that Peter figured out that his mom was talking to him and that she brought those maps to Auntie to give to him when he was ready for them.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I was also glad that Peter's concern that his Mom had not been talking to him was relieved.