Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part VIII: The Haven (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part VIII comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 01, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Chapter 47-55
Cronin really jumps around with different points of view and time jumping. He will explain something that happened - 'Maus killed the man at the fuel pump' and then several paragraphs later, start telling how that came about.
The dreams are driving the characters crazy and somewhat me too. I am curious about the whole dream purpose and wonder why Peter and Alisha don't have them.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments This may be something you would only notice on audio, but when he names people at the beginning of a chapter or at a change of scene I try to carefully listen to the names he mentions to be sure I know who is there in the scene. He will conveniently leave one off. He'll talk about everyone BUT Amy or Sara or whoever and leave you wondering if they made it through the last calamity. It took too long to mention Amy after they were "rescued" in las Vegas and too long to identify who made it on the train. That seemed to be on purpose after pointedly separating them on the platform area and in the tunnel leading to the train. I realize the chaotic nature of the event are part of this non-mention, but he does it so often.

Amy particularly gets this treatment. If one of the others doesn't think of her she fades into the background. Maybe now that she has spoken out loud that will change.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments another audio note.. "Pages missing" was intoned in a formal male voice as Sara read that chapter in her own voice - it gave an eerie feeling and left me wondering what the journal went through to last 900 years.

message 5: by Debra (new)

Ann wrote: "This may be something you would only notice on audio, but when he names people at the beginning of a chapter or at a change of scene I try to carefully listen to the names he mentions to be sure I ..."

I never thought of that, but you are right. A technique he uses to make us nervous?

message 6: by Debra (new)

Ann wrote: "another audio note.. "Pages missing" was intoned in a formal male voice as Sara read that chapter in her own voice - it gave an eerie feeling and left me wondering what the journal went through to ..."

Yeah, a long time... creepy!

message 7: by Debra (new)

I wonder if the novels will take us through the year 1003 AV. Can't wait to find out!

message 8: by Debra (new)

I definitely could tell that something fishy was going on at The Haven. Where were all the men and boys? Did they all go to be sacrificed to Babcock? Were the boy babies killed at birth, or sacrificed?

Sucked that Caleb got killed. I really liked him and his high tops.

This is the first time we heard that a human could become a familiar of one of the 12. Jude is a familiar to Babcock. Did this make him harder to kill?

We also get are first hint that there are only 12 that have to be killed. That perhaps killing them will stop the other virals.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) We certainly don't get more ironic than the name "the Haven"

I was so upset when Caleb died...

And this whole aspect of Sara's journal as an ancient artifact being read at a conference... I can't wait to see where/when Cronin goes with this...

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Melissa: I liked how the journal as an artifact communicated time passing in an effective way. A future we can hardly imagine!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ok, this section had a lot of confusing stuff going on. Not sure if it was me or if anyone else felt the same way.

I also thought something was odd at "The Haven" I had a weird feeling right after Michael woke up and evryone came in to see him - all of his friends were acting overly happy, I mean, they were happy to see him and that he was okay, but to me they were faking their happiness with being at the Haven.

I got the feeling that The Haven was like a cult, all of the other people there were very guarded, and not seen around.

I thought it was strange that everyone at the Haven were wearing the prison jumpsuites, and cutting the girls and womens hair down to their scalp - what was that all about.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ann wrote: "Melissa: I liked how the journal as an artifact communicated time passing in an effective way. A future we can hardly imagine!"

I also enjoying reading Sara's journals.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments So did anyone else think it was strange that the train that everyone was on was going slow enough and the Hunvee going fast enough for Alicia and Sara to jump from the Humvee to the train?? That was an unbelievable part to me.

message 14: by Debra (new)

Yeah, you have to suspend belief in a few parts... the jump to the train was definitely one of those places!