Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Par IX: The Last Expeditionary (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part IX comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 02, 2012 06:56PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments The group of our intrepid adventurers start to split up here and I was saddened by their partings. Alicia's revelation about her background and training was a big surprise, at least the part about her joining with the soldiers and leaving Peter. I thought she and Peter might have ended up together.

message 3: by Debra (new)

Yeah, I was apprehensive about the group of travelers splitting up. Maus and Theo seemed particularly vulnerable. Do you think that this was the first time they'd ever eaten fish? It was their first time fishing, that's for sure.

And, I agree that I'd hoped Alicia and Peter would end up together. It's clear that Peter didn't realize how much he loved her until it was too late. Seems like he is generally clueless when it comes to love, as he missed his chance with Sara, too.

Is Alicia the only female soldier, or are their others waiting back where they came from?

How about your first movie being Dracula!? How strange that must have been. And the soldiers calling the virals Dracs.

message 4: by Debra (last edited Jan 19, 2012 09:23PM) (new)

We learn about another person affected by Amy in their dreams: Greer dreamed of her when he was a child. It all seems like fate, doesn't it? This was all foretold.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments As I was picturing them watching the movie, it reminded me of old MASH TV show movie nights in the tents of Korea. ;) I was intrigued by the diffent names for the Sticks / Jumps / Vitals / Dracs by local groups. That was a vivid reminder of how backwards their means of communication really were. Isolated groups didn't have any way to know what others called them. Eventually diffent language dialects would likely evolve, even in the US.

message 6: by Debra (new)

I haven't thought about the MASH program in a long while. You are right about the similarity in movie nights.

Yes, I wonder if other communities would have developed their own version of First Night, for instance. Would they celebrate Christmas, have a religion? What about the practice of raising the "littles" in a sanctuary until they reach a certain age?

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) I agree that the concept of different colonies evolving with completely different practices and eventually even different dialects of English is a fascinating idea. Not to mention--how are the overseas countries faring since the downfall of the United States?

I'm still having lots of trouble reconciling what is fate/or what is simply a chain of events thrown into motion.

And this whole aspect of the dreams/connections that the humans have with Amy, Zero, the 12 & and the other virals. And that they all have with each other....

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ann wrote: "The group of our intrepid adventurers start to split up here and I was saddened by their partings. Alicia's revelation about her background and training was a big surprise, at least the part about ..."

I was thinking all along that Peter and Alicia would end up together, which was why he didn't really think of himself being with Sara. Sara was in love with him for a long time - but Peter couldn't see it. which made me think Alicia was Peters's destiny. But I guess Peter's destiny is much bigger, now that I am at this part, Peter seems to be more and more like his dad. Of course, there are 2 more parts for me to get to, but that is my thoughts about Peter for right now.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "Yeah, I was apprehensive about the group of travelers splitting up. Maus and Theo seemed particularly vulnerable. Do you think that this was the first time they'd ever eaten fish? It was their ..."

I thought Maus and Theo fishing was pretty funny, my thoughts are they never had fish before. I am sure they didn't at the Colony - surely it would have been mentioned. I was a little sad when they split from the group, but clearly, Maus would not have been able to continue all of that walking. I hope they are going to be okay.

Before they go to the farm, I got weird vibes from Theo, Peter mentioned that he was different and I thought so as well. I was worried that some of that programming that he went thru at the Haven had not changed him. He seemed better and a little more of himself after they got to the farm. I guess I will see, hopefully.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "We learn about another person affected by Amy in their dreams: Greer dreamed of her when he was a child. It all seems like fate, doesn't it? This was all foretold."

That was really interesting, so many people are connected with these dreams. It is almost like the dreams are bringing people together, if that makes sense.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments When the 6 arrived at the Garrison, the soliders looked at the women like they have never seen women before. When General Vorhees said they had to stay in their tent all of the time - I thought that was really odd, like what was going to happen - one of them was a young girl - Amy - Sara is now married to Hollis - the only one left and who actually ended up being with them was Alicia - they didn't seem to treat her any differently after that. I just thought that was odd.

And how sad for the Colonel to have lost all of his men like that.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda That does make sense. The dreams signifigance may become even more important as we learn more. I too was deeply disturbed with the way they treated our visitors arriving at the Garrison.
Linda wrote: "That was really interesting, so many people are connected with these dreams. It is almost like the dreams are bringing people together, if that makes sense.."

message 13: by Debra (new)

I guess because of Alicia's history, she was treated differently. After all, she was a trained soldier in her own way. The other females were just civilians. I also thought it odd that the soldiers had to be separated from the women... guess they thought the men couldn't be trusted around them!

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments right! Or the women would say - "Just do with me what you please" - really??!!???

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Debra: I can see treating civilians differently than the discipline needed for a soldier, good point. I got a weird vibe from the way they all were treated though, more than just a "let's protect you kind of attitude."