Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Part X: The Angel of the Mountain (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part X comments go here.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Selmer (MichaelSelmer) | 17 comments Now I see why Cronin spent so much time developing Lacey's character at the start of the book.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Micheal: Yes, I was annoyed at some of the details early on, they really slowed the audio book, but they were worth it! I was amazed to find that Lacey was infected by Carter, treated by the doctor, and lived with him as his common law wife for 54 years (the treatment gave her a special immunity). It did give the opportunity for the details she shared with Peter about the Twelve. I thought she would go with them into the passage.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I like when the meaning of the title is revealed in a book. So, with The Passage.....
Since we know the book is nearing the end as this ends the next to last part, but we know the story continues in some way in another set of one or two books; the references to "It is time to find The Passage" by Lacy as Peter says he has no weapons is in my opinion an opportunity for different interpretations.
The Passage could be:
>The tunnel Peter Amy (and Lacy) went down and out, to get to level 5.
>The tunnel that Babcock entered to go after Lacy
>The journey that Amy set 'The Many of Babcock' out on after he was blown up by Lacy or ... something else?

I think it must be the journey for the many. The names intoned on the audio, on and on and on as Amy named the many as humans with identities and memories again before they were consumed by the sun was a very powerful thing.

message 5: by Debra (new)

Very insightful observations, Ann. I have enjoyed reading everything you've written!

I can imagine the audio version was perhaps more powerful and Amy named the humans and answered there constant questions of "Who Am I?"

Was glad to see Lacey again, and sorry to see her story ending.

Alicia was the perfect selection to receive Amy's virus. Of course, Cronin leaves us hanging as to whether she survived.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Thanks, Debra! I really enjoyed reading and then dissecting this book. I am eager to find out what happened next!
Debra wrote: "Alicia was the perfect selection to receive Amy's virus. Of course, Cronin leaves us hanging as to whether she survived."

message 7: by Debra (new)

You're welcome, Ann. I can't wait for the next book, either!

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) The audio version definitely lent a weight to the intonation of the names and the virals query. I can imagine that had I been reading I may have been tempted to speed thru or even skim that section...but the audio keeps the pacing....
I too think that The Passage is the journey for the many.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I did not read this section in one setting, so I may have missed some things. I was surprised that Alicia's group along with Greer, Sara, Hollis and Michael found the horse that Peter and Amy were on, I thought they were going a totally different way, wasn't the plan to go back to the other army camp????

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I was glad the story went to Lacy, I enjoyed the time that Cronin spent with Lacy's story in the beginning, and was surprised when Amy and Peter came to her. I also amazed that Lacy and Jonah lived as husband and wife.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Here is a part that got a little sketchey for me, when Peter told Sara to give Alicia the vial with the virus, I understood that would save her life, or suppose to save her life but why her??? I guess maybe her work is not done since Amy told Peter to save her.

My thoughts are that Peter does not stab her in the sweet spot and that she lives.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Okay, I was bummed with the events at the farm with Maus and Theo!!!! Not fair!!!!! After all they have gone through together and then a Viral gets them??? They haven't had any issues with the Viral's up until now and why now??!!??

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments You guys didn't mention this part - but I liked the part when Lacy told Peter the story of Noah and compared their journey to Noah's journey and trusting in God to build the ark. But I didn't get that Lacy called Amy the ship - well - I guess she is the "vessel" to get Peter to where he needs to be??!!??

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Keep reading, Linda!! I know you are. ;)
I can see Lacy referring to Amy as a vessel to help Peter get where he needs to be.
I did not want Alisha to get the virus, tough decisions!

message 15: by Debra (new)

Looks like I've missed some comments from Linda! Linda, let us know if your questions weren't answered as you read further. Ann and I remember enough of what we read to fill in most of the blanks for you!