Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 Group Read > Postscript: Roswell Road (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Postscript comments go here.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments as for a sequel, if I hadn't already been hooked, the postscript chapter with Sara's voice and her journal entries would have convinced me I need to find out what happened. My heart was in my throat each time the words, "day 278" "day 280" were intoned.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Selmer (MichaelSelmer) | 17 comments I've twice tried to comment in the wrap-up thread but received an error message. I hope this one works. This was the type of apocalyptic story that I love. Late nights and work ignored meant I was able to get through it in three days. The story line was engaging, but it was the dynamics of the relationships that gave the novel depth. Cronin also did a wonderful job of painting a landscape that was more of a character than a stage prop. I did feel that many elements were based on The Stand; Auntie and Jacob, especially. I kept expecting Jacob to say "M-o-o-n, that spells moon." Even the detonation of the nuclear bomb near the end was familiar. All of this isn't meant as a criticism necessarily, and I am eagerly awaiting the next book. Something I couldn't have with The Stand.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Michael yes, it is very "Stand-like" and hard to put down or to leave the world when done. All of the delopment in the beginning paid off well.

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jan 19, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Can't wait for the sequels. So many unanswered questions, not just what happened at Roswell. I also agree this book was a lot like The Stand.

Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf (melissaseclecticbookshelf) I haven't read The Stand so I can't make any comparisons. I'm afraid to admit in this group that I've not read any King

*runs and hides*

I can't agree more however about how integral all of the world building and character development was to the story. I know that many people have told me that it and the sheer number of characters simply bogged them down so that they could not get through the book. I guess that I can understand how that could be for some. From my perspective however...it's just that development that makes this story so epic and allows for the anticipation of the coming installments. Unlike the many many book series out there that seem to have very little meat to them but are merely a way of keeping an audience and readership.

message 7: by Debra (new)

*shock* *gasp* no King? Ever? Wow. lol Jump in and try him. The Stand would be a great start!

The Passage definitely had that epic feel for me too, and I enjoyed the character development. I really cared about them and agonized over them.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I so enjoy reading Sara's journal - and what a way to end..... so many unanswered questions....

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Melissa, I am also shocked you have never read King!!! You must read him!! There are sooo many fabulous books written by our favorite author

What drew you to this group????