Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > The Golden Compass

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Tiffany I just wondered what anyone knew about this series. I know that it is a movie coming out in December starring Nicole Kidman, but I have been getting tons of e-mails about it. They come from my friends who are very religious and are concerning this book and movie portraying atheist values and death of God. I'm definitely not starting a religious debate, I just wondered if anyone had read this series and what they could tell me about them. I for one, think that the e-mails start a buzz and actually hurt their cause more then they help.

message 2: by ABC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I read the first book, The Golden Compass. It's very good.

There are some religious themes. They probably continue into the sequels of the book.

I don't mind the religious themes. This is fiction, after all. The Golden Compass has an excellent plot and original ideas. I HIGHLY recommend reading it before seeing the movie!

And another thing, I didn't really think of this as a children's book. Maybe teen and adult.

message 3: by Renee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Renee Hello Tiffany!

I read His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman years ago when they were first published. The series is a fascinating look at organized religion and how it positively and negatively affects the lives of all living creatures. It's a series that makes you THINK! While I love the Harry Potter series - it's very entertaining - I like His Dark Materials more because the story goes deeper into religion and spirituality issues. I recommend the trilogy on CD - my 3 children (now 16, 18, and 19) loved this series!

I'd also recommend Madeleine L'Engles series also. Very spiritual and deep.

message 4: by Jo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Jo I echo Renee's remarks. My son is 15 reading at a college level, and has all of Phillip Pulman's books in his DON'T LEND BOOKS.
They are classics! :) Jo

message 5: by Banzai (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Banzai I devoured the entire trilogy shortly before a trip to England. I was so glad that I bought them all at once because otherwise I would have been distraught about the completion of the first two.

Shortly after reading them I watched "What the Bleep do We Know" and realized that Pullman was weaving Quantum Physics into a children's book series. Them's no small potatoes.

That being said, I've seen plenty of middle school/ jr highers with these books in their hands. Obviously it requires a certain amount of readership, but the right, heady eighth-grader would love it. Kyra and Will are positive role models, too. Kyra has the confidence so many 12 year-old girls lose and Will has the integrity that most 12 year-old boys lack.

message 6: by Bronwyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Bronwyn Tiffany:

I love love love these books! I thought they were incredible books. You should definitly check them out. The worst thing that can happen is you hate the first one and you don't read the others.

message 7: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Foxthyme I read for story alone. I LOVE these books. I'm waiting a short bit before reading them again. But read again I will.

I didn't like C.S. Lewis's stuff because, well, it was so blatant with its in your face messages. I never felt that way about Pullman.

After the first Potter book and movie, I never read on to the next books. I don't know why, really. Except they just didn't draw me in. Pullman did.

The girl. The bear. It's unique.

message 8: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Rachael I started to read it today.

message 9: by Julee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Julee Ann (juleeanngranger) It's a great series! Very good, very deep, and, yes, it have many religious themes.