Indie and Self-Pub Book Corner discussion

Fantastic reviewers needed

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:53AM) (new)

Amber Tesia (ambertesia) | 12 comments Hi there,

I am seeking enthusiastic reviewers for my e-book, a gothic romance with a supernatural twist. It will be published mid-December, is 117K words and I'm drawing up a shortlist to send the book out next weekend for review by 11th December. I would love to hear from you. Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend!

Best,

Ria Amber Tesia :-)

message 2: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) Hi Ria, You can send it my way. I love Paranormal Romance. I do need to tell you that I'm not sure I can have the review by the 11th though but I can try. I'm reviewing about five books right now. I'm a fast reader but I just wanted to let you know. If you still would like to send it to me, my emial address is sheilabes@aol.com

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 98 comments Don't either of you follow what's happening?Yes, let's continue doing fraudulent reviews and totally destroy the EBook industry. Suggest you visit my authors' forum: Published Authors Biz and learn how quid-pro-quo is destroying our business.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber Tesia (ambertesia) | 12 comments Thanks Sheila, I received your mss. The cover looks good, can't wait to read it! :-)

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) I hope you like it and can't wait to read yours either.

Larry, there is nothing wrong with authors asking people to read and reveiw their books. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to get your product out there. I expect an honest review and hope people who I review for knows I'll give an honest review myself. If I don't like a book, I'm not going to say I do. If this is hurting the ebook industry, something is wrong with the industry.

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) Ria,

Did you send your manusript? I didn't get it.

message 7: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 98 comments Sheila wrote: "I hope you like it and can't wait to read yours either.

Larry, there is nothing wrong with authors asking people to read and reveiw their books. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to get your..."

If someone were to review your book on Amazon and give it five stars, even if you knew (in your heart) it was only worth two stars, I'm sure you'd cheerfully accept it. But, if you had a two star book, would you be happy if that's how it was rated? Having been in various aspects of the publishing industry for 45 years, including as a publisher, I can say from experience, most people have little or no idea how to properly review a book. It's a skill not something you pick up in grammar school reading class. According to many professionals and the New York Times business section, such inept, slanted reviews are destroying the indie publishing industry and even Amazon has started to crack down on the most blatant.

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) Larry,

No I wouldn't cheerfully accept it but I would accept it. I may get mad but I would still want an honest opinion. I do reviews for two magazine or used to before I started writing my own book. Now I do them for me and to help authors. I know exactly what goes in to reviewing a book. I've done it for years. I don't care that you you've been in the publishing industry for 45 years. It doesn't matter to me that you are or used to be a publisher. There is nothing wrong with lay people reading a book and telling others what they thought about the book. I would and have in the past used their reviews to make me a better author.

I will continue to ask people to read and review my books and I will continue to do so for others. If that's going to destroy the industry then I feel sorry for the Industry. Maybe you should make your own thread to let people know how you feel. As for me, I will continue doing whatever I can to help other authors and u will continue asking others to let me know how they feel about my book. I may not like what they say but if it will make me a better author I will accept it, maybe not cheerfully but I will accept it.

message 9: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 10 comments Sheesh, guys. I think this is getting out of hand.

Sheila, I think Larry assumed when you said you were looking for "enthusiastic" reviewers that you were looking for four- or five-star reviews only. I don't think that's what you were really after...it seems to me that you were looking for people who are enthusiastic about the act of reviewing books, and will give honest opinions, not people who are only interested in scratching your back. :)

In Larry's defense, false five-star reviews are a big problem on Amazon and a few other places, and there have been attempts to weed them out and crack down on them. They do detract significantly from the credibility of the review system and they sure don't help self-published authors overcome the difficulties of choosing to self-publish.

Goodreads seems to have a much lower incidence of fakey-fake reviews, and I think that's because of the relative lack of anonymity here. It's more of a social site, where most users interact at least a little bit, so it gives more of a sense of personal accountability and reviewers tend to be more honest.

Anyway...just my thoughts on the specter of false reviews. Best of luck with your book! I would love to volunteer to read and give an honest review, but I don't think I could tackle a 115K-word book by December 11th. I'm a bit of a slow reader. :)

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) I agree with you Lavender and I understand if we were asking for a professional review. We are not asking for that. We are simply asking if there is anyone who would like to read and review our books. There's nothing wrong with people giving their opions about a book and placing those opinions on different sites. I will continue asking for people to do that. As I said before, word of mouth is one of the best ways to get word of your book out to the public. You don't have to be a professional book reviewer to tell somebody you've read their book and what you thought of it. Whether good or bad. That's all I'm saying.

message 11: by RLB (new)

RLB Hartmann (rlbh) | 7 comments I'm still learning the ropes here at Goodreads, and put Book 1 of Tierra del Oro (Forty Grains of Black Powder) into the thread; I'd love honest reviews from anyone, anywhere, but I don't fool myself that many readers will choose to buy a paperback copy of anything when they can grab an e-book instead. Everyone who DOES buy, read, and review my novels is a valued person, whether s/he be a professional reviewer or enthusiastic reader who gives honest feedback.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber Tesia (ambertesia) | 12 comments Woah, just revisited this thread and it's got a lot livelier than I had expected! :-)
To break it down, it was actually me who posted the advert, and to clarify, what I was seeking when advertising for enthusiastic reviewers were people keen to review the book, NOT five star reviews. Feedback is like gold dust to any writer, and writing communities like Goodreads is the ideal place for it.
Larry, I am not looking for fake, tit-for-tat reviews and I would appreciate you not assuming this is the case for everyone. Like I said before, if you want to promote your authors' forum, please do so on a different thread.
In acquiescence with Lavender. Fake reviews suck! Also, the review deadline for my book has been extended - I would love if you would be able to review my book, if you're still interested..? Email me on riatesia@yahoo.co.uk and I'll send you a link next week.
Best,
Ria :-)
PS a belated Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Tesia (ambertesia) | 12 comments Hi RLB, I am interested in reviewing your book. Where can I find it..?

Best,

message 14: by RLB (new)

RLB Hartmann (rlbh) | 7 comments Hi, Ria, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Send me a private message here at Goodreads for details of several options. If you prefer to buy a physical paperback book, you can follow this link to a secure shopping cart: https://www.createspace.com/3602228

message 15: by Ambre (last edited Dec 03, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Ambre (ambrey) | 1 comments I'd love to review your book- I am one of the few people I see regularly writing reviews (not synopses) of indie books on different sites, and I agree that it's important!

I do tend to be fairly critical, but hopefully it's constructive criticism :)

(I'm happy to review any of the books mentioned, historical fiction and fantasy are my two faves!)

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber Tesia (ambertesia) | 12 comments Hi Ambre,

Great to hear from you! I'm currently drawing up a shortlist of reviewers. If you email me on riatesia@yahoo.co.uk, then I can email you the mss next week. Have a great weekend!

Best,

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina Whyle | 4 comments As a newbie to Goodreads (joined last week) I was disappointed to see Larry's comment. Ria, I do not know you but I would be more than delighted to review your book and I thank you for having the balls to post this thread. As an self-published author myself trying to reach new readers is a challenge one on which I feel like I'm flailing. I think it's the British reserve afraid to ask for something in case people take it the wrong way, which they going to anyway so might as well grow some erm... balls.

All the best,
Nina

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 29 comments Nina, I have been with Goodreads a few months. I first saw Larry in a post called "Sayonara, Goodreads," where he insisted he was leaving because of all this stuff he complains about, yet he remains to complain. He clearly has a lot of experience in traditional publishing and could be a great help to those who want to go that route, yet this is what I see from him everywhere. He rarely responds to serious attempts to engage him. Someone else called that kind of posting "spam and run."

message 19: by Nina (new)

Nina Whyle | 4 comments Mary wrote: "Nina, I have been with Goodreads a few months. I first saw Larry in a post called "Sayonara, Goodreads," where he insisted he was leaving because of all this stuff he complains about, yet he remain..."

Hi Mary, why am I not surprised! Well thanks for the heads up. :)

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber Tesia (ambertesia) | 12 comments Hi Nina,

Thank you for your post! How are you? Hope all is well! I've put you on the reviewers list (I'm going through the final edits this week and will send on to you as soon as I can). Might I just thank you once again.
Re Larry's comments, I saw him post duplicate comments on a few threads, lambasting people for reviews. I appreciate that everyone has a different viewpoint, but my God there is a way to talk to people. A little courtesy wouldn't go amiss (good manners don't cost anything). Just my opinion... Have a great day all!

message 21: by Nina (new)

Nina Whyle | 4 comments Ria Amber wrote: "Hi Nina,

Thank you for your post! How are you? Hope all is well! I've put you on the reviewers list (I'm going through the final edits this week and will send on to you as soon as I can). Might ..."

No doubt I will receive a similar comment if I post a similar request myself. I'm in no hurry so whenever you feel ready just send it my way. :) Nina