Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > WI 11-12 20.8 - Liz M’s Task - Fictional fiction

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Nov 19, 2011 01:30PM) (new)

Liz M Read a novel that includes references to a fictional book (a non-existent book created specifically for the work of fiction): Books with Fiction Titles

ETA: the spreadsheet was generated from this wiki page

message 2: by Liz M (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:37AM) (new)

Liz M If you know of a novel that fits this task & it is not included on the linked list, please post here so Elizabeth or I can add it to the list.

message 3: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Great List! I thinkk I have about half of them on my tbr shelf.
btw, i noticed four Bookers were on the list. I'll keep that in mind when i try to predict the next winner! (smile)

message 6: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Cait wrote: "Awesome list! Two more off the top of my head: [book:The Tragedy of Arthur by William Shakespeare: The First Modern Edition of His Lost Play, with an Introduction and Notes by Arthur Phillips|9271..."

Thanks Cait! The first is Sam's group reads choice, so it definitely needs to be included.

message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "Do Diaries count?
The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas"

This I need to think about.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments The 3 titles in msgs 4&5 have been added to the sheet.

message 10: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Rebekah wrote: "People of the Book
The Book of Unholy Mischief
The Angel's Game
The Book of Air and Shadows
Murder Past Due
Clas..."</i>

I just read [book:People of the Book
and it is centered on an actual book, although the story itself is very fictionalized.

On the list, only the first 6 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series are listed. I believe all of his as well as Sanderson's refer frequently to books that are, as fits the nature of fantasy, non-existent outside the pages of the series. If the definition is that broad, much of the fantasy genre would fit, which I for one would love. :)

message 11: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "Do Diaries count?
The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas"

You are very good at finding the gray areas! This is going to be a little hard to explain/defend.

I am going to say diaries written by narrators/main characters do NOT count. Fictional diaries will only work if they are written by someone that is not a character.

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Nov 19, 2011 02:47PM) (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "People of the Book
The Book of Unholy Mischief
The Angel's Game
The Book of Air and Shadows
Murder Past Due
Classified as Murder
File M for Murder ..."

Denae is correct, People of the Book does not qualify for this task. The Book of Unholy Mischief, The Angel's Game, The Book of Air and Shadows all seem to work. With the mystery books it's harder to tell that fictional, non-existing book(s) are referenced, especially for the third which hasn't been published yet!

message 13: by Liz M (last edited Nov 19, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

Liz M Denae wrote: "On the list, only the first 6 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series are listed. I believe all of his as well as Sanderson's refer frequently to books that are, as fits the nature of fantasy, non-existent outside the pages of the series. If the definition is that broad, much of the fantasy genre would fit, which I for one would love. :)..."

You are probably correct. In the first post, I added the wiki page from which the google doc was created. It will give you a better idea of what qualifies as a novel containing a fictional book. So, if you want to take a look at the Robert Jordan section & make an argument for the rest of the Wheel of Time series, please do.

message 14: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Liz M wrote: "Denae wrote: "On the list, only the first 6 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series are listed. I believe all of his as well as Sanderson's refer frequently to books that are, as fits the nature of..."

It looks like the page lists novels "invented for" specific works, but does not mention them again if they recur. From my knowledge of how often some of those books crop up throughout the series, I'd say the entire WoT series would apply. Arguing more for others here than myself, since I'm unlikely to re-read them if I can find anything else for Krista's task.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Oops about the Miranda James book. That is a pseudonym for Dean James who works part time at Murder by the Book, my favorite little bookstore so I just heard them talking about it coming out and thought it already had.

I'll try not to "gray" things up too much and stick with the rainbow colors! (smile)

I was going to read People of the Book by ended up reading The Book of Unholy Mischief instead. For some reason I thought they were both about a made-up book.

message 16: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "I'll try not to "gray" things up too much and stick with the rainbow colors! (smile)..."

It was not "you" specific, more "you" you-all. It's good to ask the questions about the gray areas, forcing me to clarify. :)

message 17: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Denae wrote: "It looks like the page lists novels "invented for" specific works, but does not mention them again if they recur...."

Thank you for that light-bulb moment. Generally, I will assume if several books in a series are mentioned, all of them are likely to fit.

message 18: by Krista (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:39AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments I think that The Book Thief might fit this task. I don't know if the titles of the books stolen are actual books. I don't remember the exact titles, but I suspect that the author made them up.
I don't have a copy of this book in order to do the research on it. Does anyone else?

message 19: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments How about The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton? I think the book of fairy tales that forms the basis for the story is made up, though I haven't read the book yet.

message 20: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 27 comments It sounds like Jezebel's Ladder would work here.

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) Krista wrote: "I think that The Book Thief might fit this task. I don't know if the titles of the books stolen are actual books. I don't remember the exact titles, but I suspect that the author mad..."

The Book Thief works. The first book she reads is The GraveDiggers Handbook. Fictional! :)

message 22: by Deedee (last edited Nov 25, 2011 12:11PM) (new)

Deedee | 1853 comments I'm reading I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley right now (too soon for me to use it for the winter challenge). For the benefit of y'all, I can report that on p. 56 there is reference to the fictional novel Cry of the Ravens by Stella Ferrars.

message 23: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments I'm working on Out of Oz and it also fits this task with the fictional Grimmerie a big focus so far. I may decide to stop before the halfway point and use it as my one book that I start before the 1st. Anyway, just FYI if anyone wants to read it for this task.

message 24: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Deedee wrote: "I'm reading I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley right now (too soon for me to use it for the winter challenge). For the benefit of y'all, I can report that o..."

Thanks for the info DeeDee. I was hoping to find a spot for this book in the upcoming challenge. I'm almost to the top of the library queue.

message 25: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments I'm nearing the end of David Copperfield and he (the title character) has now become an author and is writing a book. So far he hasn't mentioned a title but he has now become famous enough for his writing that he has quit his "day job" so to speak.

message 26: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Rebekah wrote: "I'm nearing the end of David Copperfield and he (the title character) has now become an author and is writing a book. So far he hasn't mentioned a title but he has now become famous enough for his ..."

I've already posted this to completed tasks but let me know if I can get combo points for this task as he mentione his authorship of books several times.
thanks!

message 27: by Sarah (Bright & Bookish) (last edited Jan 11, 2012 06:39PM) (new)

Sarah (Bright & Bookish) (brightandbookish) | 113 comments Hi I am new and am just going through some of the books I read in december (before I joined the group) to see if they fit with any of the challenges. So far many of them do, however I am wondering about The The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Does this count for this challenge?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11853 comments Neil Gaiman's book with Terry Pratchet, Good Omens, fits this task. Is that what you were asking?

Sarah (Bright & Bookish) (brightandbookish) | 113 comments I was wondering specificallt about The Graveyard Book and not Good Omens.

After looking more carefully at the description on the wiki page I think I better understand what this task is about and I no longer think that the graveyard book fits as there is no actual mention of a fictitious book with that title. So I am not going to worry about it.

Thank you for the quick reply :)

message 30: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 8 comments Hi,

I'm currently reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It includes snippets from "The Book of Shhh" and a couple other fictional titles. Can I use it for this task? Thanks!

message 31: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Jayme VA wrote: "Hi,

I'm currently reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver. It includes snippets from "The Book of Shhh" and a couple other fictional titles. Can I use it for this task? Thanks!"

Yep.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.