easy peasy reading group discussion

Christmas Traditions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments I always wonder what goes on in other peoples houses at Christmas - love hearing about family traditions and feel very guilty that with boys aged 6 and 2 we don't yet have any real traditions of our own. Had a chuckle yesterday when I asked my sister in law whether they had any and she said 'yes of course!' (with alot of conviction) and then added 'Well....we always have bacon rolls on Christmas morning!' lol. I remember when we were children we always went to the forest a few days before Christmas to choose a real Christmas tree and afterwards went to a country pub at the bottom of the forest road to sit in front of a roaring log fire and have hot chocolate, then we would go collecting holly to make a wreath. What are your Christmas traditions?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 381 comments Mod
I always have a pub at local pub at mid day on xmas day lol thats my tradition and dont cook on xmas day one of the few days I dont cook

message 3: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments We always have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast for Christmas breakfast, and we also go out for lunch at a local pub/restaurant. We open our pressies in the afternoon and then proceed to fall asleep. That last bit isn't really intentional, but it always happens just the same!

message 4: by Booksdingle (last edited Nov 21, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments going out for lunch sounds good though usually costs a small fortune these days - we are lucky as my partners mum always does it - she loves entertaining! Mind you by time we get all wrapping cleared up from kids and all morning visitors packed off back home would be 5pm before we got dinner if I cooked it! I usually do a buffet on Boxind Day though, and as usually frantic packing going on Christmas Eve I am vowing to get it all done by mid Dec this year and spend Christmas Eve relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere - not as if we don't know Christmas is coming is it so I can't pretent it took me by surprise AGAIN!

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments We usually make quite a few dishes from the Delia Smith Christmas cook book, and my youngest daughter absolutely loves to cook with me, so this year, it'll be a bumper batch of deliciousness! My favourite is the chocolate truffle tort and my husbands is the pecan pie. We're having a go at game pie as well this year OMG! Christmas day is traditional dinner and sherry trifle etc, but Boxing day is all the other lovely food, already prepared so no cooking and my elder daughter has promised to do the washing up all day! Yay me!

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments What a lovely thread!We always have turkey and all the trimmings for dinner - always here at my home - or last year, at my son and daughter-in-law's.I usually have a sherry or two while I'm preparing dinner and then have a break to open a few pressies before dinner. This year, I'll be cooking for 10 of us and then there'll be more for Boxing Day. Don't do a lot of cooking then. I feel inspired to bake more this year - chocolate truffle tort sounds wonderful, Chris. I usually make a Delia Christmas cake - I do like her recipes - the way she says"Simply take...." is very comforting:)
Although I've been retired from teaching for nearly 3 years, I'm still trying to get away from having a mad rush in the week before Christmas - a habit that built up over 30 odd years!!

message 7: by Angela (last edited Nov 28, 2011 01:49AM) (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Well, I've made my Christmas cake - and it's not a Delia! I found a recipe in this month's Good Food - it's a lighter fruit cake and smelt deliciously citrusy once it was cooked. Have put it in the freezer for the moment. Today, I'm planning to make an orange yogurt cake, which you then decorate with mascarpone and icing sugar. I'll freeze that too and ice it nearer Christmas. I've bought some edible snowmen to put on it!
Can't believe I'm preparing in November, but it sure feels good:))

message 8: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments Those cakes sound lovely Angela. Let us know how they turned out.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

JackieB wrote: "We always have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast for Christmas breakfast, and we also go out for lunch at a local pub/restaurant. We open our pressies in the afternoon and then proceed to ..."

Sounds wonderful to me! Thanks for sharing this. Wish I were back in the UK.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (bookworm40) | 1 comments Angela wrote: "Well, I've made my Christmas cake - and it's not a Delia! I found a recipe in this month's Good Food - it's a lighter fruit cake and smelt deliciously citrusy once it was cooked. Have put it in the..."

Hi Angela
Love the sound of both of these can you send me the receipes.. Thanks

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Jane wrote: "Angela wrote: "Well, I've made my Christmas cake - and it's not a Delia! I found a recipe in this month's Good Food - it's a lighter fruit cake and smelt deliciously citrusy once it was cooked. Hav..."

I'll look them out tomorrow for you Jane.:)

message 12: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments on subject of cakes have you ever made a fruit cake with natural yoghurt in it? I remember my Nan used to make a delicious one but sadly having had a stroke she doesn't remember it - Id like to find a recipe for that, only fruit cake I liked!

message 13: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments also at various Christmas parties I've had Scotch eggs with a layer of grated cheese inside and also mince pies with cream cheese inside - both delicious!

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Booksdingle wrote: "on subject of cakes have you ever made a fruit cake with natural yoghurt in it? I remember my Nan used to make a delicious one but sadly having had a stroke she doesn't remember it - Id like to fin..."

I've never come across a fruit cake with yogurt in it. If I find one, I'll let you know:)

message 15: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments shame, really moist, juicy cake - remember it being lovely but my Nan doesn't remember it at all

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

http://youtu.be/6tNbsQ8eDbA

Celtic Woman doing The Bells or soemthing like that.