Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Amazon Prime

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Can any body recommend a good mystery prime book. There are to many to go
Through.
Thanks

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments I went through the list to see if Prime was worth it to me, and it was not. But the one book that caught my eye was Barry Eisler's latest. (John Rain series)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Thanks Barry, I'll take a look at it. Right now I'm trying the free trial.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Nov 22, 2011 08:48AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Amy: I am slightly confused by your question - are you referring to the free shipping you get with Prime? I love prime shopping. the speed is great and can be used on so many products. I wasn't sure about it once I got my Kindle, but I use it all the time still.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "Amy: I am slightly confused by your question - are you referring to the free shipping you get with Prime? I love prime shopping. the speed is great and can be used on so many products. I wasn't sur..."

not amy but before you sign up for prime, amazon will give you a free trial. can't remember how long it's for- 90 days maybe?

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Hi Ann,
No, I was referring to finding it very hard to find the prime books, they have over 5,000 books and they are not broken up into catagories. I still haven't found one I want to read. I'll probably just cancel it before my free month is over.

message 7: by Ann (last edited Nov 22, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Amy: Oh, you must mean the Prime Library books for Kindle. I have found mine on Amazon and on Overdrive at my local library site by doing author searches for favorites authors. I took my 'to read' shelf here on Goodreads and my series lists at FictFact.com for jumping off places to search.
I suppose you should see my other post this morning about the Penguin Kindle titles being pulled from Prime and Overdrive. Either way, I am loving Library books from Overdrive.

Amy wrote: "Hi Ann,
No, I was referring to finding it very hard to find the prime books, they have over 5,000 books and they are not broken up into catagories. I still haven't found one I want to read. I'll p..."

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Ann
I am also reading a book on my Kindle that I got from the library. It nice
to be able to do this when you need a book to read and don't feel like
going to the library.

Also congrats on your move to a new house.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Yes, ditto! You and Sherry!

Amy wrote: "Also congrats on your move to a new house. ..."

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments oops, sorry Sherry, congrats to you too. :)

message 11: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann,congrats on your new home. You still in the Nashville area? Good to hear things are going so well.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Lorraine, thanks! Yes - we live in Nashville and love it here. My next moving in job is going to be unpacking and arranging all of my books (whew) I have the shelves and the boxes and boxes of books, Now I need a strategy for organizing. :)
They should have invented the eReader much sooner!

message 13: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments I'm actually intending to give in and buy a Kindle myself at the end of this year because there are now just too many indie books that are only available in e-versions that I really want to read. But I'm not giving up print. I love the print format even though it certainly makes the moving process more complicated.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "Lorraine, thanks! Yes - we live in Nashville and love it here. My next moving in job is going to be unpacking and arranging all of my books (whew) I have the shelves and the boxes and boxes of book..."

ann! how did i miss that you moved? i guess i was so busy packing and unpacking, it went right over my head. did you buy a new house??

message 15: by Sherry (last edited Nov 24, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments shom ( or any one else who's interested)- i am going to buy a kindle touch and am planning to sell my kindle 3. it's got 3 covers- one with a light built in, one without a light built in, and one that's a zip around. if you're interested, email me @ sbfritzsche@gmail.com and we can talk. it's only about a year old, works great, and i'll give you a good price.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Sherry: I didn't mention that we bought a new house until we moved (last weekend) I guess I didn't want to jinx it! I am not enjoying sorting through all of the the boxes but I love my new wooded view from the back deck!
Sherry wrote: "how did i miss that you moved? i guess i was so busy packing and unpacking, it went right over my head. did you buy a new house?? "

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Sherry: A Touch Kindle sounds fun! I was surprised at how much I like the touch screen on the Fire for turning pages to read, though I keep looking for the left had side 'next page' button like I have on my K2!
Sherry wrote: "shom ( or any one else who's interested)- i am going to buy a kindle touch and am planning to sell my kindle 3. it's got 3 covers- one with a light built in, one without a light built in, and one ..."

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: I didn't mention that we bought a new house until we moved (last weekend) I guess I didn't want to jinx it! I am not enjoying sorting through all of the the boxes but I love my new wooded v..."

congratulations! i totally missed that.. have fun unpacking (!!!). i am waiting for my nephew and my husband to build me bookshelves. hopefully soon. i miss my books!

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: A Touch Kindle sounds fun! I was surprised at how much I like the touch screen on the Fire for turning pages to read, though I keep looking for the left had side 'next page' button like I h..."

he also won a fire at work so brought that home. i've been having fun playing with that, too. enjoy yours!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Sherry! Now that sounds great - a new library room(?) with built in book shelves! Hope they get started soon!
Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "i am waiting for my nephew and my husband to build me bookshelves. hopefully soon. i miss my books! "

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry! Now that sounds great - a new library room(?) with built in book shelves! Hope they get started soon!
Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "i am waiting for my nephew and my husband to build me boo..."

We have a living room/ dining room combination, so they will go on the wall in the living room..

message 22: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments A Kindle deal!!! will the book still be charged to your account?

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Probably not that good of a deal, Barry! ;)
Barry wrote: "A Kindle deal!!! will the book still be charged to your account?"

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Barry wrote: "A Kindle deal!!! will the book still be charged to your account?"

for you, barry? no.
:)
seriously though, i have a kindle 3G with 3 cases ( one with a light, one without, and a plastic/fabric one that is water resistant for when you want to read at the pool or the beach) that i am going to sell for about $125 if anyone is interested.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Keyboard... Its the one without special offers

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-...

http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Leisure-...

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I sat next to a woman on the plane tonite who had a smart phone and a tablet, but I was gratified to notice that when she settled down to read she whipped out a hardcover. Shom, I don't think you are the only one who still loves the real deal!

Shomeret wrote: "I'm actually intending to give in and buy a Kindle myself at the end of this year because there are now just too many indie books that are only available in e-versions that I really want to read. B..."

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I can't keep up with all the Kindle products. Plus, I'm thoroughly miffed to see Kindles now priced at $79!!! It just does not pay to be an early adopter....

Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "Sherry: A Touch Kindle sounds fun! I was surprised at how much I like the touch screen on the Fire for turning pages to read, though I keep looking for the left had side 'next page' but..."

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I understand your frustration Carol, but I feel I really got my money's worth with the first K2 Kindle (LOL, it was a gift!) but seriously, I got plenty of use out of it and am still very happy to use it.
More Kindles out there means more happy readers!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I can't keep up with all the Kindle products. Plus, I'm thoroughly miffed to see Kindles now priced at $79!!! It just does not pay to be an early adopter..."

message 28: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I sat next to a woman on the plane tonite who had a smart phone and a tablet, but I was gratified to notice that when she settled down to read she whipped out a hardcover. Shom, I don't think you ..."

On an airplane I probably will be reading Kindle. I read a great deal and the weight considerations when I travel caused me to take paperbacks on the plane in the past. Three paperbacks would keep me in books for a trip from CA to NY. One Kindle would end the necessity of carrying three paperbacks in each direction.

message 29: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Congratulations, Ann on the new house! Hope you find lots of new favorite spots in which to read.

message 30: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Shomeret wrote: "On an airplane I probably will be reading Kindle. I read a great deal and the weight considerations when I travel caused me to take paperbacks on the plane in the past. Three paperbacks would keep me in books for a trip from CA to NY. One Kindle would end the necessity of carrying three paperbacks in each direction.
.."

Which is exactly why I was reading my Kindle on the plane while she was reading her HC...

It had been awhile since I picked up my Kindle... I still borrow so much from the library that reading purchased books on the Kindle is a second choice ... but I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the convenience of it. It fits right in my purse and I can easily pull it out if I'm waiting in line, sitting at the gate waiting to board, sitting in my seat on the plane. And I remembered to take my charger so it didn't run out of juice.

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Funny moving story. I put my Blackberry phone charger somewhere safe so I would be sure not to lose it. Well I haven't seen it for a week now. Luckily the Kindle charger works for the Blackberry too - a lucky break and the Fire charger of course works on my K2 so I am still set.
I am loving always having a library book on my Kindle too, Carol, it has me reading a bit more on it and with the Fire I am going back and forth and syncing up seamlessly - it is great! I can't imagine traveling with 6-8 books like I used to do now that I have the Kindle.

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I just. Got a couple of books out of the library for when I go away for a couple of days. I'm also bringing my Kindle.

message 33: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Hubby and I went to Best Buy today to just look around (yeah, right). Anyway we live in a rural area so we use "Pixius" for our internet connection. We asked the salesman about a fast router and he asked if we knew about the Verizon Mobile Hotspot. To make a long story short, we got one and because they had a special deal today, I'm only having to pay for the monthly connection (which is the same as my Pixius) AND....with that purchase you got $100 off any tablet, so I got a Kindle Fire for $99.99! Haven't opened the box yet. Too much techie stuff in one day is bad for my brain :) Just had to share ;)

message 34: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Congrats, Susie! All this Fire talk is making me jealous, although I still can't figure out what I'd use a Fire for that I wouldn't use my Kindle or my iTouch for...

Susie in KS wrote: "o I got a Kindle Fire for $99.99! Haven't opened the box yet. Too much techie stuff in one day is bad for my brain :) Just had to share ;)
..."

message 35: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments congrats susie. enjoy

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Congrats on getting your Fire Susie! I really like mine. Carol - so far I am using it just like my regular Kindle to read books, plus I watched a movie on it, downloaded a TV show, an audible audio book and have read my email. The Goodreads app is great too.
Susie in KS wrote: "Hubby and I went to Best Buy today to just look around (yeah, right). Anyway we live in a rural area so we use "Pixius" for our internet connection. We asked the salesman about a fast router and ...AND....with that purchase you got $100 off any tablet, so I got a Kindle Fire for $99.99! Haven't opened the box yet."

message 37: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Hubby and I went to Best Buy today to just look around (yeah, right). Anyway we live in a rural area so we use "Pixius" for our internet connection. We asked the salesman about a fast router and ..."

good deal, susie. enjoy!

message 38: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Ann wrote: "Congrats on getting your Fire Susie! I really like mine. Carol - so far I am using it just like my regular Kindle to read books, plus I watched a movie on it, downloaded a TV show, an audible audio..."

Ann, too bad you don't live closer so you could teach me not to be scared to try the movie or TV show thing ;) I did figure out the email and added the Goodreads app!

message 39: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Susie - the video access on the Fire is really easy too, just like getting a Kindle book really. I even got the last one free with a credit I had from buying the latest Harry Potter DVD. I also wish we were closer to each other!! What fun we would have!

message 40: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Ann - We are getting ready to leave on our cruise to Hawaii, and I've been debating which Kindle to take with me. I think I'll take the Fire in case I want to read at night and I won't have to take a light with me ;) I need to try the audio too!

message 41: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Susie, enjoy your trip. Hope you get alot of reading in.

message 42: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Susie:
I think I would have to choose the Fire to go on the trip too, Susie - have fun! Other than being heavier than the regular Kindle it is my preferred choice now.