Walker Papers discussion

Your favorite book?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliel (new)

Eliel | 6 comments Mod
Okay! Right now we are few in number, but that should not stop us from having a time of it.

So, I'll throw out the icebreaker question: which book is your favorite so far?

message 2: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments The first in the series, and then this sixth in the series. Must admit that each book is a favorite right after I read it. The sixth just culminates so many points and then at the end launches a new arc...a perfect recipe of satisfaction and anticipation.

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) I read all of them right in a row a few months ago. Spirit Dances was my favorite so far and opens up new areas. I'm looking forward to seeing how Jo grows and of course what happens with Morrison.

message 4: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments Who else joined the Kickstarter campaign?

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) Larisa wrote: "Who else joined the Kickstarter campaign?"

I joined the Kickstarter campaign. I've really enjoyed the two short stories so far.

message 6: by Eliel (new)

Eliel | 6 comments Mod
I did also, but have only read the first of the two because of the fact that the second takes place after the next novel. I can wait. A little while. Maybe. We'll see.

message 7: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments I thought it takes places after the end of the series, so after the next three books?

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) It takes place at the end of the series and is a really cute Christmas story. The only spoiler is that we see a glimpse of Jo's HEA.

message 9: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments It was the perfect Christmas Eve read, especially before listening to Patrick Stewart's one man show of 'A Christmas Carol.'

Just read CE's publishing schedule for 2012, and it shows Mountain Echoes in Jan 2013, and then the series final in Dec 2013...that is going to be a killer wait. Bet we're also left in a delicious cliff hanger.

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 08, 2012 08:49AM) (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments Larisa wrote: "It was the perfect Christmas Eve read, especially before listening to Patrick Stewart's one man show of 'A Christmas Carol.'

Just read CE's publishing schedule for 2012, and it shows Mountain Echo..."

Thanks now I don't have to go look that up myself, but you are right, the wait is gonna be a killer. Now I kinda wish No Dominion was coming out a bit later. (I say as I anxiously await April 15.)

message 11: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Murphy (ce_murphy) | 18 comments Mod
I could not send it to you until September or something, Jennifer. :)

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments C.E. wrote: "I could not send it to you until September or something, Jennifer. :)"

OK first - OMG! I can't believe C.E. Murphy responded to my post! (and I am not an OMG person.)

And second - um, no. I foolishly wrote that before reading Raven Calls and knew just what happened to Gary.

message 13: by C.E. (new)

*laughs* Well, all right. If you're sure. I mean, I do want to accommodate my readers to whatever degree I can... :)

-Catie, trying to make Goodreads more of a habit :)

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments AHHHHHHHHH! Finished NO DOMINION last night. Stayed up past midnight because I just could not close the computer and make myself wait until today to finish it.

A great, great story. I cried toward the end. The relationship between Gary and Annie was so real. Anyone who did not buy into the Kickstarter campaign need to be on the lookout for an opportunity to read this story.

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 9 comments I wasn't able to buy into the Kickstarter campaign and I'm so bummed, I really want to read the story!!! :(

message 16: by C.E. (new)

Oh yay, I'm glad you liked it, Jennifer! And I am always most smug when people stay up too late reading one of my books. That's the greatest compliment ever, as far as I'm concerned, because I've done it so many times myself. :)

Awww, Kel. It'll be available through other means at some point, I promise! I just don't know when or how yet.

-Catie

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 9 comments I hope so, I LOVE the series and I look forward to hearing/reading about Gary's adventure. Waiting for the next book is brutal but usually worth it. Are you going to add the cousin (forgot her name) to the next books or do a separate series for her, or nothing at all? Just curious, I do want to hear/read more about her. :D

message 18: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments Yes!! Irish Shaman books please!! Gary's book is my treat for doing my taxes....I know, very last minute, but it has been one of those years so far.

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 9 comments Irish Shaman books.....Yeah, that would be awesome!!

message 20: by C.E. (new)

*laughs* You know, my husband and I spent a while figuring out the Irish Mage story a few weeks ago. It would just be a trilogy, but I know what I would do with it... :)

-Catie

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 9 comments AWESOME!!!!! You rock!!

message 22: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments *just* three more books from you...that is not a *just* from this point of view, 'tis a WOHOO!

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 9 comments Larisa wrote: "*just* three more books from you...that is not a *just* from this point of view, 'tis a WOHOO!"

Totally agree!!!

message 24: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 2 comments C.E. wrote: "*laughs* You know, my husband and I spent a while figuring out the Irish Mage story a few weeks ago. It would just be a trilogy, but I know what I would do with it... :)

-Catie"

YES! I would LOVE to read the Irish Mage trilogy!

Kel (Faerie-bookworm) (faerie-bookworm) | 9 comments Who wouldn't want to read it?? Now I can't wait for it!!

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Brandstatter (cabrand) | 7 comments So, I received an email to join this group - I love the Walker Papers! But there really hasn't been any discussions since April 2012? That's sad!!
Anyway, I have loved all the Walker books. It's been a wonderful series of stories and I will be sad when it's done. But I'm sure Cate has lots more wonderful stories to tell!!

message 27: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 14 comments C.E. wrote: "*laughs* You know, my husband and I spent a while figuring out the Irish Mage story a few weeks ago. It would just be a trilogy, but I know what I would do with it... :)

-Catie"

*so* are you ready to run the Kickstarter for the Irish Mage Trilogy yet?!

message 28: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 2 comments Larisa wrote: "*so* are you ready to run the Kickstarter for the Irish Mage Trilogy yet?!"

YEAH!!!

message 29: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Doris (patrickdoris) | 4 comments my favorite book is Sprit Dancer

message 30: by MaryAnn (new)

MaryAnn Clarke (maclarkescott) | 1 comments Just joined this group. I liked the first one, and the, I think the second to last one. I forgot the name and am too lazy to go and look but it's the one where the spirit guide shows up. I think I sent Catey an email after I read it it was so cool. Looking forward to more, whereever the series goes. Kickass heroine.

message 31: by C.E. (new)

*laughs* If I write the Irish Mage trilogy I promise you won't have to Kickstart it. I'll sell it to my Walker Papers publishers. :)

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Brandstatter (cabrand) | 7 comments Sounds great! New stories to look forward to!!

message 33: by Gabe (new)

Gabe (mccrab) | 2 comments C.E. wrote: "*laughs* If I write the Irish Mage trilogy I promise you won't have to Kickstart it. I'll sell it to my Walker Papers publishers. :)"

Surely you mean "when", not "if"...

So that's another one or more Inheritors, a couple of Strongbox Chronicles, three Walker Papers and an Irish Mage trilogy, and a sequel to Easy Pickings - I'm sure I've missed the odd side project, but are you sure you won't get round to working on the Old Races before August? :-D

message 34: by C.E. (new)

Three Walker Papers, are you nuts? I'm about to start writing the last one! :)

message 35: by Gabe (new)

Gabe (mccrab) | 2 comments ... the last one!

Yes. Yes, of course. Because you will not have more ideas, will not have more story to tell. Well-known for having a hard time coming up with stuff to write, you are. :-P

I note that you raised no objections or concerns about any of the other series/universes. Looking forward to reading them! ;-)

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris Brandstatter (cabrand) | 7 comments I bet it will be hard for you to end the Walker papers. Certainly for us readers.

message 37: by C.E. (new)

Gabe wrote: "... the last one!

Yes. Yes, of course. Because you will not have more ideas, will not have more story to tell."

I have enough other stories to tell that there will be no more Walker Papers unless somebody wants to offer me a truly obscene amount of money to write one. And nobody's going to. :)

-Catie

message 38: by C.E. (new)

Chris wrote: "I bet it will be hard for you to end the Walker papers. Certainly for us readers."

Ending the Walker Papers is going to be truly bizarre for me. I wrote URBAN SHAMAN in Y2K, so it's been a 13 year companion. Wrapping it up will be terrifying and exciting all at once.

-Catie

message 39: by C.E. (new)

Gabe wrote: "I note that you raised no objections or concerns about any of the other series/universes. Looking forward to reading them! ;-)"

Inheritors' Cycle: not unless I hit the big leagues and somebody wants to pay me to write more.

Strongbox Chronicles: Ditto the above, or until the rights revert to me.

Irish Mage: maybe.

Easy Pickings sequel: if Faith and I ever have time again, maybe. We thought EP would take us about a month to write and it took a year, so.

-Catie

message 40: by Fionna (new)

Fionna C.E. wrote: Inheritors' Cycle: not unless I hit the big leagues and somebody wants to pay me to write more.

Have you thought of doing a Kickstarter project for the next one? I _loved_ those books, would gladly finance (part of) the next one, and I can't be alone.

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris Brandstatter (cabrand) | 7 comments C.E. wrote: "Gabe wrote: "... the last one!

Yes. Yes, of course. Because you will not have more ideas, will not have more story to tell."

I have enough other stories to tell that there will be no more Walker..."

Well, I love your stories, so I know we will have wonderful tales from you in the future! But I will really miss Joann.....and all the rest of the crew. What do you want to do next?

message 42: by C.E. (new)

Fionna wrote: "Have you thought of doing a Kickstarter project for the next one? I _loved_ those books,..."

A number of people have suggested that. I've thought about it, yeah, but the problem is that it would take away from time to write my traditionally published books.

That means my profile as a writer remains flat, rather than growing, since traditionally published books in the bookstores are where most people still find and buy new-to-them authors. Harry Connolly talks about the problems of that here: http://www.harryjconnolly.com/blog/in...

Also, it's now been so long since I've written those books that I've kind of lost the passion for them. I'm sure it could be reignited, but at the moment, I've moved on. :)

-Catie