The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 0.0 - Fit This Book

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17397 comments Mod
Have a book and don't know what tasks it may work for ? Ask here.

message 2: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I would like to read Could It Be Magic? - Melanie Rose as I need to send it on to someone.

Where would be ideal?

message 3: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments 5.10, 10.8, 10.10 (since you NEED to read it), 15.10 just out of the 5,10,15 pt. tasks. You could ask on the help thread for 5.3 if the O in the title can be used as a round thing.

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) JenC. wrote: "5.10, 10.8, 10.10 (since you NEED to read it), 15.10 just out of the 5,10,15 pt. tasks. You could ask on the help thread for 5.3 if the O in the title can be used as a round thing."

Thanks Jen xxx

message 5: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments What about The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Passage by Justin Cronin?

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments It would work for 25.9 (Denise's My Favorite Genres) under option 4 since "thriller" is listed on the book's main page. It also works for 15.8 (What's IndieNext?), since it was a selection in June 2010.

message 7: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Jessica wrote: "It would work for 25.9 (Denise's My Favorite Genres) under option 4 since "thriller" is listed on the book's main page. It also works for 15.8 (What's IndieNext?), since it was a selection in June..."

Thank you! That works for me :)

message 8: by MJ (new)

MJ | 136 comments Does anyone have a suggestion for this book:

Pathseeker (The Contemporary Art of the Novella) by Imre Kertész by Imre Kertész

The main character is just known as "commissioner" and he's investigating a crime, so maybe it would work for 15.6. If no one can think of a better option, I'll ask in the help thread if it would qualify.

Thanks!

message 9: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments MJ wrote: "Does anyone have a suggestion for this book:

Pathseeker (The Contemporary Art of the Novella) by Imre Kertész by Imre Kertész

The main character is just known as "commissioner" and he's investigating a crime, so ma..."

It fits 10.4, as it has a mainly white cover
If you've owned it for a while 20.4 option 1 works
It has 'The Pathseeker' on the cover, but Pathseeker as the title, maybe works as a one word title for 25.1 but I'd check the help thread
With 30.10, you could judge its cover if you rolled for ugly cover, since it's very plain and not overly attractive.

That's about all I can come up with, besides 10.10 and 15.10, it's not a book that fits a lot of tasks!

message 10: by MJ (new)

MJ | 136 comments Katrina wrote: "MJ wrote: "Does anyone have a suggestion for this book:

The main character is just known as "commissioner" and he's investigating a c..."

Great suggestions! Thank you so much.

message 11: by Marina (new)

Marina (marina1709) | 28 comments I thought I'd read Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead Bloodlines by Richelle Mead for the Two Series, One Author task, but then I realised that three books in the series have to be published. This book is still the only released one in a planned series of 6.

So, does anyone have an idea where I could use it?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments The 25 pointer for flowers, has a first in series option; the nutcracker one for the YA option

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments It also works for 20.1, option D - romance is listed as a genre and it's got a couple on the cover (assuming you linked your edition).

message 14: by Marina (new)

Marina (marina1709) | 28 comments Thanks! I'll go through my list now and check out where it would fit best for me. :D

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments ETA - in the 25 pointer for flowers - there is also a YA option and a 1 word title option, which it would also work for

message 16: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) Does anyone know how I might fit Simisola by Ruth Rendell into the Winter 2011-2012 challenge?

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments its a one word title - you could use it for Jenn Renne's Flowers task

its a series and is either mystery or thriller, so one of the books in the genre series 25 pointer

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Options:

30.4 - If your first die is even and your other book is pre-1975

15.7 - Inspector Wexford is a law enforcement official.

10.4 - If you have the paperback or Kindle edition.

5.10 - "R" works.

message 19: by Almeta (last edited Dec 28, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) Jessica wrote: "Options: 30.4 - If your first die is even and your other book is pre-1975

This would have been an excellent 30 pointer, but I had already finished that task and reported it.

Dee wrote: "its a one word title - you could use it for Jenn Renne's Flowers task

I fit it into 25.1 - Rachel Lee's task: Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
Sweetbriar (simplicity): a one word title.

Thank you both, Dee and Jessica, for the help!!!

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments for Sarah Silverman - what did you roll for DonnaJo's 30 pointer...if you got an even for the first die, she would author - author with same letter for first and last name

message 22: by Pam (last edited Dec 29, 2011 02:27PM) (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments Dee wrote: "for Sarah Silverman - what did you roll for DonnaJo's 30 pointer...if you got an even for the first die, she would author - author with same letter for first and last name"

Thanks Dee. But, I got odd numbers for both die.

I think I can redo some options and fit in the Kathy Griffin book though. So just looking for suggestions for The Bedwetter now. Thanks!

message 23: by April (new)

April I think I can redo some options and fit in the Kathy Griffin book though. So just looking for suggestions for The Bedwetter now. Thanks!

You could use it for 20.3 Words Among Friends
with letters TBSOCRAP - Crap, Soap, Tabs

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Options for The Bedwetter:

5.8, assuming you linked your edition (240 is divisible by 4)

20.4, option 4, depending on how you got it

25.2, option 1, if you pair it with an author whose first name is Sara

30.6, option 4 - it's autobiography

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) | 51 comments Thanks Ladies! That helped alot!

message 26: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments could any one help with this book? I would love to read but Im so confused :( ?

The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

message 27: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments I think it will work for 20.3 but if you have any more suggestions I will wait. :)

message 28: by Bea (last edited Feb 07, 2012 03:51AM) (new)

Bea | 3813 comments It could work for 5.8 as its pages are easily divided by 4, 20.3 TOSS, option #4 of 20.8, all options of 30.3 if you had a second book that you could use, and possibly options 3 and 4 of 30.6.

message 29: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Bea wrote: "It could work for 5.8 as its pages are easily divided by 4, 20.3 TOSS, option #4 of 20.8, all options of 30.3 if you had a second book that you could use, and possibly options 3 and 4 of 30.6."

Thank You Bea, Im going use in 20.3 :)

message 30: by Almeta (last edited Feb 12, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) I'm going to see the movie Hugo soon, I would like to fit the bookThe Invention of Hugo Cabret into this challenge. Have any ideas?

The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Brian Selznick
544 pages
first published January 1st 2007
children/young adult
rating 4.21 The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments have you done mstan's task already? because it fits into category A there...the rotten tomatos has it at 94%

message 32: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) Dee wrote: "have you done mstan's task already? because it fits into category A there...the rotten tomatos has it at 94%"

Yeah, I filled that slot with Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee which I would have to move.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments you could use it for the scrabble one - TIOHC - ITCH, CHIT, OTIC

Virginia Woolf also works for that one AVOW

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments it has something round on the cover; its cover has a chunk of brown, if you rolled a 2 for Sassafrasses task

message 35: by Almeta (last edited Feb 12, 2012 12:46PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) Dee wrote: "it has something round on the cover; its cover has a chunk of brown, if you rolled a 2 for Sassafrasses task"

I stuck in something round on the cover....

then eureka!

I did your suggestion of 25.5 for Hugo and moved Virginia Woolf to 25.7 (last name Albee, my name Almeta)

Thank you so much.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments glad it worked out