The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 15.3 - Winter Wonderland

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
15.3 Winter Wonderland: Take a walk in a winter wonderland.
Read TWO books that fit the following options- one A and one B.

A. Winter: Read a book with "winter" in the title/subtitle, set in winter, with a snowy winter scene on the cover, or with a winter holiday (December-February) theme: Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, etc.

And

B. Wonderland: Read a book set in the location of a World Wonder
New York City works for The Empire State Building, Toronto works for The CN Tower, London works for Big Ben, China works for The Great Wall of China, a book set underwater (sub, research station) works for the Deep Sea Vents, etc.
Required: Please include the World Wonder that inspires your book choice and explain the connection if it is not clear from the book description

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 20, 2011 11:36AM) (new)

"winter" should be found intact in any title/subtitle word

message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 04, 2011 10:09AM) (new)

World Wonders
For the Northern Lights- any of these locations would work- see this article

Panama Canal- The World in Half
Stonehenge- England is ok
Grand Canyon= Arizona
Golden Gate Bridge- California
The Inca City- Machu Picchu- Peru

message 4: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Will The Greatest Knight (William Marshall #1) by Elizabeth Chadwick do?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "Will The Greatest Knight (William Marshall #1) by Elizabeth Chadwick do?"

For what part? It would work for B- England- Stonehenge

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments I'm looking at the cover for Stork Stork (Stork, #1) by Wendy Delsol and wonder if you would consider it a snowy winter scene? Looks like frost to me...

message 7: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments okay for A, I am going with The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3) by Donna VanLiere and B, Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran for Eyvpt.

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Stacie wrote: "I'm looking at the cover for Stork Stork (Stork, #1) by Wendy Delsol and wonder if you would consider it a snowy winter scene? Looks like frost to me..."

It does look like frost, but it's hard to tell from the image....Minnesota, Nordic mythology, the sequel Frost- that seems to point in the direction of winter.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2) by Penny Watson - for a Christmas theme - a twist on the normal Santa - and this is about one of his sons as they figure out who will inherit the toy business one day

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Stacie wrote: "I'm looking at the cover for Stork Stork (Stork, #1) by Wendy Delsol and wonder if you would consider it a snowy winter scene? Looks like frost to me..."

It does look like f..."

Thanks! I've been dying to read it for awhile!

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Dee wrote: "Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2) by Penny Watson - for a Christmas theme - a twist on the normal Santa - and this is about one of his sons as they figure out who will inherit the toy business one day"

and a 2nd winter holiday (New Year's) too

message 12: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Dee wrote: "Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2) by Penny Watson - for a Christmas theme - a twist on the normal Santa - and this is about one of his sons as they figure out who will inherit the toy business one day"

Dee, I think I'm going to read the first one somewhere in the challenge! LOL

message 13: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Dee wrote: "Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2) by Penny Watson - for a Christmas theme - a twist on the normal Santa - and this is about one of his sons as they figure out who will inherit the toy business one day"
..."

Me too!

message 14: by ♥Meagan♥ (last edited Nov 20, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Would Wintergirls work for Part A? I wonder if it has to be a separate word or not.

message 15: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments ♥Meagan♥ wrote: "Would Wintergirls work for Part A? I wonder if it has to be a separate word or not."

Meagan, I loved that book.

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

♥Meagan♥ wrote: "Would Wintergirls work for Part A? I wonder if it has to be a separate word or not."

That works

message 17: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Fran wrote: "♥Meagan♥ wrote: "Would Wintergirls work for Part A? I wonder if it has to be a separate word or not."

Meagan, I loved that book."

Makes me want to read it even more now. I read Speak for the Spring Challenge, I think.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments the Penny Watson series is really cute - I mean who expects Santa to have hunky sons and a triathlete wife ;)

message 19: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments Would Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn or Witchlanders by Lena Coakley work for Part A?

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Aneeqah wrote: "Would Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn or Witchlanders by Lena Coakley work for Part A?"

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn - yes

Witchlanders by Lena Coakley - no- It looks like frayed string or thread in the image (Amazon cover zoom image) If it is set in winter it works, but I don't see that in the description

message 21: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Aneeqah wrote: "Would Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn or Witchlanders by Lena Coakley work for Part A?"

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn- yes

[bookcover:Witch..."

Thanks! I just wanted some options.

message 22: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments for winter does this work Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz
and does colorado work ok for grand canyon or does it need to be more specific?

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "for winter does this work Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz
and does colorado work ok for grand canyon or does it need to be more specific?"

Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz that works

The Grand Canyon is in the northwest corner of Arizona, close to the borders of Utah and Nevada. A book set in Arizona would work.

message 24: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Jenn Renee wrote: "for winter does this work Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz
and does colorado work ok for grand canyon or does it need to be more specific?"

[bookcover:Deadly Little Games..."

Now i feel dumb. I thought it was in colorado. Thanks

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Jenn Renee wrote: "for winter does this work Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

[bookcover:..."

Don't feel dumb, the Colorado River and Colorado Plateau threw you off.

message 26: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Winter Moon by Mercedes Lackey Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill would these work for each option?

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "Winter Moon by Mercedes LackeyApartment 16 by Adam Nevillwould these work for each option?"

Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill for London/Big Ben? That works, make sure you identify the options when you post

message 28: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Okay!

message 29: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Would The Red Tent work for The Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Pyramid of Giza?

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Would The Red Tent work for The Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Pyramid of Giza?"

Egypt works, The Red Tent is set in Haran (modern-day Iraq and Syria), Canaan, Shechem (Israel), and Egypt. I think Babylon would work as well, but my ancient geography is a bit rusty.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Would Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke work for the World Wonder option? It's set in London, partly, for Big Ben?

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah wrote: "Would Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke work for the World Wonder option? It's set in London, partly, for Big Ben?"

London is mentioned in the description- that works

message 33: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Is this book okay for part B-- setting under the water?

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale

Thanks

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments just checking on The World in Half - for the Panama Canal - sounds like half of it takes place there and half in the US

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments if anyone is looking for a specific country - let me know - I have various lists for a challenge i'm doing in another group and might be able to help you out

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Is this book okay for part B-- setting under the water?

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale

Thanks"

This doesn't look like the setting is mainly underwater (if you're thinking Deep Sea Vents) Can you find any references to support an underwater setting? Reviews spoke about the human world

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Dee wrote: "just checking on The World in Half - for the Panama Canal - sounds like half of it takes place there and half in the US"

That works

message 38: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Thanks Dimrose---
I'm switching to Empire Rising by Thomas Kelly.
This one sounded really good!

message 39: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will a book set in England work for Stonehenge or does it need to be more specific.

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "will a book set in England work for Stonehenge or does it need to be more specific."

yes, that works

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna | 76 comments Would a book set in Hollywood work for this task?

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Anna wrote: "Would a book set in Hollywood work for this task?"

For what wonder? Golden Gate Bridge? California works for that.

message 43: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'm wondering if you would accept Death in the Andes for option B, as "The Inca City" is listed for Forgotten Wonders. Machu Picchu is in the Andes. thanks for your help! :)

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "i'm wondering if you would accept Death in the Andes for option B, as "The Inca City" is listed for Forgotten Wonders. Machu Picchu is in the Andes. thanks for your help! :)"

Machu Picchu and/or Peru work for The Inca City

message 45: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments great, thanks! :)

message 46: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Would Private London work?

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Private London work?"

for Part B, Big Ben? yes

message 48: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (flute2005) | 22 comments I was wondering if any of the Gregor the Overlander books would work for part B? He is from New York and they are under the city when they go down there

message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Jodi wrote: "I was wondering if any of the Gregor the Overlander books would work for part B? He is from New York and they are under the city when they go down there"

Sources list the settings as New York and Underland. It would work for B, New York

message 50: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2022 comments Would a travel book set in Turkey A Fez of Heart: Travels Around Turkey in Search of a Hat work for B Hagia Sophia, or would it need to be specifically set in Istanbul?

« previous 1